New sluicebox design help!???

mattisdell1983

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I have a question. I have a royal 30" sluice box and was wanting to make a homemade highbanker with a recirculating water supply using a 1000gph pump in my garage. My question is... I think 30" isnt going to be quite long enough for the material to travel without losing some gold in the process and I was wanting to increase my chances of finding some gold so Here are a couple of pictures to see if anyone has any good feedback on which of these might work the best or maybe a different idea all together. I am wanting to add another 30" +/- onto my sluice box but Im not sure if I should just add it to the end of my existing box to make it 60" long or maybe make it at an "L" shape? any suggestions? and any other pictures and suggestions will be great. Maybe start off with my normal sluice box then add 30" of black "V" groove matting to catch the finer stuff then add an underflow after that to get the feally fine stuff and have 3 to 4 different ways of cqatching gold? lol Or maybe just make a homemade "blue bowl" for the finer gold. PLEASE HELP thank you guys alot fot the input, Matt isdell

Attachments

• 2012-12-10_20-12-33_676.jpg
    2012-12-10_20-12-33_676.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Mattisdel1983,
You seem to have a lot of ideas/thoughts/hopes/wishes about your project but do you have any gold bearing ground to put through your project once it is built? What I'm getting at here is that folks around like to help others, likely that was the basic idea behind Tnet in he first place, but as of late we've been inundated with folks asking for all sorts of information seemingly without putting much effort into it themselves. Now when I first got on Tnet I asked questions as wel, actually still am,l so don't get me wrong we want to answer your question but can you give us a bit more to go on.

My first thought concerning the info you've given is that a 1000 gph pump is way too much but I could be dead wrong. Then again what kind of gold do you have to find? Flakes, small nuggets, fines, very fine fines or even smaller fines? These things factor into what one would need to have to have in order to remove the size gold you have.

To me the "L" shaped unit would cause materials to drop out right there creating a lot more concentrates to clean up after.

I am not familiar with a Royal 30" sluice though for lots of raw material it does sound kinda short. Highbanker conversions can be purchased from calsluicebox.com, they are located in Calif. A need to build everything is not always the shortest or best route to go as there are so many ideas that are already available on the current market for prospecting and some of it can be found cheaper on Craig's list and such.

I hope someone else comes along and gives you some better advice.........63bkpkr

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mattisdel1983,
I would ask how wide is the sluice? Is the pump being used ac or dc? I do what you want to do in my garage. I use a Gold Buddy mini highbanker set up for recirculating. It is 20" long and 8 1/2" wide. I use a 1200 gph dc pump hooked up to a car battery. I classify my material down to 1/4". I then pan the cons to get the larger gold and then reproccess the cons for the blue bowl. This set up works very well for me. Too many times people try to over think a proccess and make things too complicated. Don't worry so much about gold loss. The micro gold will be there. That is why I blue bowl. If you have lots of time on your hands then rerun the material if it will ease your worries about gold loss.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread