Gold Ore: To crush or not to crush and mineral identification

cardinalrunner

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys, I recently started busting up some of the rocks I have collected over the years. I haven't mustered up the courage to get these down to powder.

I did roast a couple in the fire and quickly stopped due to the fumes-very sweet smell. I later asked my parents (chemists) and was informed that this was a very bad idea.

I have now convinced myself that some of these might contain lead, arsenic, and mercury sulphides! yikes! I am hoping this is just my paranoia! Can any of you shed light on this? Think I should crush and pan them out?

2ezo4ld.jpg

2nj8z61.jpg

whekxx.jpg

2nk71ns.jpg

zqsjn.jpg

2itg7xd.jpg

If you had to pick one to cush (in hopes of panning out gold) which set of ores would you pick?

Thanks

-Card

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cardinalrunner

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your 3rd picture, that stained quartz, is the kind of stuff I find in tailings piles in my area.

funny that you say that, as that specimen was found in a tailings pile. The mine has been shutdown for the better part of a century. Do you think its worth crushing? since you mention tailing piles, I am not sure if it is "junk" or not. Thanks!

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cardinal, I hove only crushed a couple pieces from my area, and haven't found anything yet, but I firmly believe I will eventually. I believe what we are finding is what was classified as low grade ore, by those operating mines of old. Like someone else said, you'll never know what's in them, if you don't crush and pan them. Only takes a couple minutes. You owe it to yourself to find out. Good luck

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they arent worth anything unless you can visibly see gold....I do not....crush em all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread