Gold prospecting in South Carolina - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Gold prospecting in South Carolina

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I live about 3 miles from the haile mine in sc, and have not really found anything with my metal detector the ground here is high in iron and hot rocks, i have done lots of prospecting in this area, Most the gold thats left here is Microscopic and thats what the mine is going to be mining, I have ventured out some and done lots of research in different areas from lancaster and up in the NC national forest around TROY. (was good panning area for fine gold and just to do for fun, would get about 10 small fines in pan of dirt if in the right spot), but other then that i need to get out towards the Western part of SC i have heard of bigger gold there.

I would also be interested in joining an area group in lancaster, sc think it would be cool

Jason
    Last edited by behappyjason; Apr 04, 2013 at 07:51 AM.

us
    Jan 2013
    Colby, KS
    35 times
    I am currently in the Beaufort SC area due to work for the next 3 years. I have only made one trip up to Abbyville in my time here. Found very little (less than 0.01 grams) but I did only spend 4 hours there and was restricted to panning only. Here in about a week, I will be heading up to Lucky Strike for a few days. Is there any input or suggestions for when I get up there? also any other suggestions on places to go around the areas? I have found it to be difficult finding information on places to simply pan. I would much rather use my sluice but I will settle for just about anything that allows me to search for the yellow stuff. Thanks for all the input that I have read over the last few months on this site. Esp Astrobouncer. Lots of good input, and when I go to Lucky Strike, I will take my regular sluice box and I will be trying out my new Bazooka box due to your input on it.

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    I just saw your post and have a few comments. I've been prospecting in northern Greenville county for a good many years and have had decent results. It sounds like you may have a good location on the property you purchased. You're smack dab in the middle of the gold belt. If you don't mind doing some detective work and reading the land it could be very rewarding . Creeks or old dry beds are a good place to start. I own a small store in Greenville selling prospecting equipment and supplies. If I can ever help you out get in touch . Website is foothillsgold.com. Good luck !!

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Give me a shout Jason. I might be able to point you in the right direction!

us
    ready for gold

Jun 2013
    hidden valley
    17 times
    Prospecting
    the same company did test next to the ridgeway mine. they say it tested >95% au. i live on a creek that splits my land down the middle between the old mine and the new test sites. i have no idea how to find gold but have researched and tried my hand at panning. no luck but im a bit confused as to what their test results meant. the gold they found is a geothermal anomoly. does that mean that there is a host rock that i hides in or am im not digging deep enough ? the wrong spot maybe? i find it hard to beleave there is no gold in my creek!! any help would make my day!
    thank you,
    mick

us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    7 times
    I got a few pictures of what the mine is mining I think on my profile. One of them is breccia I believe. It is full of pyrite and very brittle but most of the gold is attached to the pyrite from what I have researched about the mine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2284360014.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	607.9 KB 
ID:	819903

It's size of my hand

us
    ready for gold

Jun 2013
    hidden valley
    17 times
    Prospecting
    That looks like what we got. Now I need to figure out how to extract it huh? Hmmmmm.... thanks bro. You've been a great help. I have a Guy that may come out on Sunday with a high banker. If he doesn't show I just may give you a call. Where are you located again?

us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    7 times
    I've got same problem here the clay particles and gold weigh the same so I can't get it to seperate by panning or sluice. Let me know how the high banking goes

us
    ready for gold

Jun 2013
    hidden valley
    17 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by behappyjason View Post
    I've got same problem here the clay particles and gold weigh the same so I can't get it to seperate by panning or sluice. Let me know how the high banking goes
    The highbankng didn't turn out so well. I was just sent a link with instructions on how to extract the gold without using cyanide.(which is what they will be using next to me) I will pm you the link. Good work.

us
    ready for gold

Jun 2013
    hidden valley
    17 times
    Prospecting
    It is a lengthy process but it may make us some money. Lemme know what you think.
    Mick

us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    7 times
    Finally got the sluice going today for about an hour in the little stream and actually found about 20 pieces of 100 mesh gold. Now I know for sure the stuff is here and didn't need a magnifying glass to see it lol.

us
    ready for gold

Jun 2013
    hidden valley
    17 times
    Prospecting
    That's awesome!! Keep going.

us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    7 times
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2012/1179/pdf/ofr2012-1179.pdf

good info about the mines and stuff in the slate belt, has a lot of big words that only a geologist would understand but still good info.

us
    ready for gold

Jun 2013
    hidden valley
    17 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks jason

us
    Old disabled infantryman

Jan 2013
    N. Alabama
    Minelab Exterra 705
    194 times
    Good luck to the SC folks! May the next big strike be yours!
    I did not invent FUN, however I have spent my life trying to perfect it!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links