Gold prospecting in South Carolina - Page 20
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Gold prospecting in South Carolina

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2013
    12 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Does anybody have any Pickens county experience? Especially on the western side around crow creek?

Mar 2017
    54 times
    I've got two places, both where lode mines operated. Only one you can see on the maps. One of them you can put a magnet in the sand at bottom of the bed rock and it comes out with a ball of black sand stuck to it. At the top of the bedrock the splits and cracks are by the hundreds. Name:  ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490911754.717587.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  119.6 KB

The other spot is on public land by a county park. Not many people that live right there even know of it. There are mines within 5 miles of this that anyone can find if the research. But this spot, an old timer told everything he remembered about the shafts. I've been there several times and have found rivines filled with trash but I know there an entrance . The old man told me and one more person before me about it..... believe what you want but I don't just listen to any ole treasure story. The other guy before me worked it a few weeks out of the summer while he was in college closeby but not from this area . Found a lemon/fist sized 30oz piece of that good stuff.

My whole reason posting this is for one guy who really knows his ****. To come out there. And let's dig. Every time I look anywhere I get so distracted thinking it may be here or here or here. I've read all I can been to several spots with old sluices laying around. Haven't found anything. Once I get it I've got it. You keep what you find just show me how you do it

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by csande480v View Post
    I've got two places, both where lode mines operated. Only one you can see on the maps. One of them you can put a magnet in the sand at bottom of the bed rock and it comes out with a ball of black sand stuck to it. At the top of the bedrock the splits and cracks are by the hundreds. Name:  ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490911754.717587.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  119.6 KB

The other spot is on public land by a county park. Not many people that live right there even know of it. There are mines within 5 miles of this that anyone can find if the research. But this spot, an old timer told everything he remembered about the shafts. I've been there several times and have found rivines filled with trash but I know there an entrance . The old man told me and one more person before me about it..... believe what you want but I don't just listen to any ole treasure story. The other guy before me worked it a few weeks out of the summer while he was in college closeby but not from this area . Found a lemon/fist sized 30oz piece of that good stuff.

My whole reason posting this is for one guy who really knows his ****. To come out there. And let's dig. Every time I look anywhere I get so distracted thinking it may be here or here or here. I've read all I can been to several spots with old sluices laying around. Haven't found anything. Once I get it I've got it. You keep what you find just show me how you do it
    Don't take this the wrong way......If you are looking for the mine then good luck and keep hunting. In the mean time if you are looking for placer gold in the creek(s) then do sample panning (learn how if you don't already know) until you find it... or not. There is a lot of info on this forum on how and what spots in a drainage are likely to hold gold and it sounds like you have already read up on it. Black sand doesn't mean there is gold but where placer gold is found there are usually black sands found with it.

Good Luck.

PS: Learn how to use this site. http://www.mylandmatters.org/. Aerial views of the area you are searching may give you some clues for places to look and with a GPS you can relocate them while on the ground.
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 30, 2017 at 06:26 PM.
    csande480v and Clay Diggins like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Mar 2017
    54 times
    Ive tried mobile but I'll try desktop.

Mar 2018
    Im new to the prospecting thing but I live in spartanburg and have access to the middle and south tyger river. Ive dug down a foot or so and panned and found some gold where a sandbar had formed. Im new to the area but are there any good places i can go to find some good gold?
    Thanks
    Stevie

Van
    us
    Van

Dec 2015
    GSP, South Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold
    2 times
    Middle Tyger is the better of the two. Look for the gravel bar before the sandbar and dig... heavier materials drop out 1st... look for oxidized rock formations. If you were told where to find the good gold, everyone else would be there also.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Mar 2013
    South Carolina
    Whites M6 Garret Pinpointer
    152 times
    Metal Detecting
    I’m in Batesburg Leesville and would like to meet some people who want to do some prospecting.

Sep 2019
    2 times
    Hey everyone. I just learned of the potential for prospecting here in SC last week.

This weekend I took my children, ages 7 and 4, to some family property near the Blythewood mine.

We found 1 singular flake of gold in around an hour, with nothing but a pan and a small shovel. The boys were very excited to have found some “buried treasure”. Honestly, it excited me too and made me feel like a kid again.

I know I wasn’t digging in the most appropriate spot, nor deep enough, to really find any quantity of gold. I had fun, the kids had fun and we were enjoying the nice weather outdoors.

If any of you experienced prospectors are still active here and willing to share some tips I would be happy to meet up anywhere in the general central SC area for some technique lessons. I can provide manual labor of digging in exchange.

Here’s a pic of our gold flake, I had to add the water droplet to get my phone to focus on it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68A7EB2E-A877-4DE3-BCC4-213CF616013F.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	1751088
    KevinInColorado and brianc053 like this.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Sponsored Links