Gold prospecting in South Carolina - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 293
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Gold prospecting in South Carolina

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    55
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That would be nice. Going to try and get some more in the next few days and try and figure out the source.

  2. #32

    Jul 2013
    1
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    i am planning to go gold panning 8/23-8/28 ... rented an rv ... we live in north east Florida ... so South Carolina would be closest ....do i need to get a permit ... and where do they sell them (will i be able to get one over the wknd) also is there really any need to drive further like to Alabama or NC this being our first time. not sure we would know a good mine anyway

  3. #33

    Jan 2013
    115
    21 times
    There are good places in ga also to go but I don't think you need a permit on public lands so have a great time and find lots

  4. #34
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    55
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    here is some more good reading material about history of the Carolina's gold

    http://nationalregister.sc.gov/Surve...ts/HC29003.pdf

    enjoy!!

  5. #35
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    55
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    3 hours working the sluice today and found some of the yellow stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-4137243359.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	677.1 KB 
ID:	833809  

  6. #36
    Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowmick View Post
    The highbankng didn't turn out so well. I was just sent a link with instructions on how to extract the gold without using cyanide.(which is what they will be using next to me) I will pm you the link. Good work.
    In the creeks, you really need to get down to the aluvial gravels and rocks (ancient stream bed) and down to bedrock. While the creek bed will likely contain powder and flake Gold as you dig deeper and deeper, you will encounter the bigger Gold in the aluvial gravels and rocks and down on top of the bedrock. If you encounter any clay layers that are whitish and/or greyish and/or bluish in color as you dig deeper, make sure to process as much of this as possible as it will contain nice powder and flake Gold and possibly some small pickers. These clay layers in NC, SC and GA are often lined with oranges, reds and almost brown colors due to intrusion of red clays and other soils that are nearby which often get mixed into the clays during heavy rain events.

    As far as finding Gold in the rock layers on your' land. The Gold in these rocks as well as in Black Sand, are often chemically bonded to the host rocks and Black Sand and you must first release the Gold from the host rocks. Dig some of these rocks up, crush them into powder, roast the powder in a large iron skillet or pot, then after it cools, pan the powder in a Gold Pan to see if there is any Gold. There are also chemical means of getting the Gold from the powder but some of these are expensive and dangerous. A lot of Gold in these areas of SC and NC are in the slate/shale layers and some Quartz veins that are fairly deep. However, if the Quartz and slate/shale layers are closer to the surface on your' property, then these are the rocks that you really want to excavate and process by the same method as above!

    Good luck!


    Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Jul 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
    uscphil likes this.

  7. #37
    Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6696 times
    If anyone is a member of the LDMA/GPAA and wants to try out the Vein Mountain LDMA Mine in North Carolina, I know a good spot there to get a lot of Gold! That is, if no one else has found my secret! I used to go there quite often with a friend that is a member of the LDMA and GPAA and we used to get a lot of powder and flake Gold. The last time we were there which was about 6 years ago, I even brought up some small pickers and small nuggets as I had just gotten into the sweet spot. While running a test pan of material, we turned around in time to see a Black snake and a Copperhead floating down the creek, fighting for life and death. Since that time, I cannot get my friend to go back there and I do not hold a LDMA/GPAA Membership, so I have to be a guest of a member. So, if any LDMA/GPAA members want to give it a try, just PM me and I will show you the spot and we can split what we get.


    Frank

  8. #38
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    55
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great info. Here is picture of the stuff laying around the property and the stuff I found today was on property in the gray colored clay. Mostly I have found all through the stream bed. Also I wish I was a member of those groups but can't afford it.

    Great info frank and thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3851452622.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	569.4 KB 
ID:	833879  

  9. #39
    Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by behappyjason View Post
    Great info. Here is picture of the stuff laying around the property and the stuff I found today was on property in the gray colored clay. Mostly I have found all through the stream bed. Also I wish I was a member of those groups but can't afford it.

    Great info frank and thanks.
    Check some of those rocks with a 10x to 15x powered Gem Loupe to see if any contain fine powder or flake Gold! If so, process them in the same manner as I mentioned in my post above.

    Now as far as you stating that the clay particles weigh the same as the Gold, I hope you are not tossing them! Those clay particles may in fact be heavy metals such as Platinum, Palladium or other and could be valuable in fair sized quantities. Contact the nearest Geological Department of a University and ask if they will test the particles for you to determine what they are. I have panned lots of the same particles in NC, TN and GA but have never had them tested. I gave lots of the stuff to my friend to have tested but he is such a procrastinator, that he has not attempted to do so in more than 6 years! If you are like me, you will save every heavy particle that stays in the Gold Pan with the Gold.


    Frank

  10. #40
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    55
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post

    Check some of those rocks with a 10x to 15x powered Gem Loupe to see if any contain fine powder or flake Gold! If so, process them in the same manner as I mentioned in my post above.

    Now as far as you stating that the clay particles weigh the same as the Gold, I hope you are not tossing them! Those clay particles may in fact be heavy metals such as Platinum, Palladium or other and could be valuable in fair sized quantities. Contact the nearest Geological Department of a University and ask if they will test the particles for you to determine what they are. I have panned lots of the same particles in NC, TN and GA but have never had them tested. I gave lots of the stuff to my friend to have tested but he is such a procrastinator, that he has not attempted to do so in more than 6 years! If you are like me, you will save every heavy particle that stays in the Gold Pan with the Gold.

    Frank
    Got down to bedrock today in new spot on the stream and got about the same maybe a little more gold. The bedrock is shale and hard to get with out a dredge because of the loose sand filling in the hole. But with it being about the same in a the different spots then it has to mean there's a lode deposit some where close by.

    What u think


    Jason

  11. #41
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    55
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Today's find was a small cluster of pyrite cubes in quartz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2710362080.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	477.1 KB 
ID:	836966  

  12. #42
    Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by behappyjason View Post
    Got down to bedrock today in new spot on the stream and got about the same maybe a little more gold. The bedrock is shale and hard to get with out a dredge because of the loose sand filling in the hole. But with it being about the same in a the different spots then it has to mean there's a lode deposit some where close by.

    What u think?


    Jason
    That is possible but not always the case! Due to the eroding of the mountains, eroding of Gold bearing rocks and due to some decomposition, Placer Gold has been flowing through most of the streams in your location for thousands upon thousands of years. During that time, the Gold has been deposited, washed away and more Gold deposited as it continues to flow from the sources, and there could be many sources. If the stream is open and free for you to prospect it's length, you can follow it upstream, stopping to pan ever 30 yards are so, to see if you can find the source. Sometimes you can find the source and sometimes not as it may be well covered by rock, sediments and even rock or mudslides. If you try to find the source and you get to a point where there is no more Gold in the stream, then you have passed the source or where it is entering the stream from another stream or creek. Just back track, panning every 10 yards or so, until you start getting Gold again. Once you do, then pan every few yards until you find where it is entering the stream.


    Frank

  13. #43
    us
    Apr 2013
    Kershaw, sc
    Garrett 2500
    55
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post

    That is possible but not always the case! Due to the eroding of the mountains, eroding of Gold bearing rocks and due to some decomposition, Placer Gold has been flowing through most of the streams in your location for thousands upon thousands of years. During that time, the Gold has been deposited, washed away and more Gold deposited as it continues to flow from the sources, and there could be many sources. If the stream is open and free for you to prospect it's length, you can follow it upstream, stopping to pan ever 30 yards are so, to see if you can find the source. Sometimes you can find the source and sometimes not as it may be well covered by rock, sediments and even rock or mudslides. If you try to find the source and you get to a point where there is no more Gold in the stream, then you have passed the source or where it is entering the stream from another stream or creek. Just back track, panning every 10 yards or so, until you start getting Gold again. Once you do, then pan every few yards until you find where it is entering the stream.

    Frank
    Here is a picture of the stream. It barely has enough water to run a small sluice. I don't have access to the upper part of it. But the gold is below a layer of clay. Basically it's packed clay, loose sand and gravel then the clay with gold on top of the bedrock.

    Thanks for ur help and hope this draws a better picture. I think I'm going to hit thermal city up in a few weeks with the boys

    Later
    Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1064221164.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	787.8 KB 
ID:	838016  

  14. #44

    Aug 2013
    1
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have done some panning and hand sluicing and run somebody else's dredge for a day on the Rappahannock in Virginia and found a little gold.
    I am not an expert but not knowing any more about your experience I would say you are probably not digging deep enough or are not working the low pressure areas of your creek.
    Gold tends to settle onto the top of the bedrock under the sand in creeks and rivers. Also if you can find a crack in the rock at the bottom of your creek, work it as hard as you can. Don't shy away from breaking the crack open because sometimes cracks are small at the surface and larger underneath. Gold is often found in cracks at the bottom of a stream. A suction dredge is really nice for working a stream bed since you can vacuum up whatever is down there. They are a bit expensive but if you have a creek on your own land that you can prospect without fear, you really ought to try to find somebody who has a dredge to come out and explore it for/with you before you invest in one of your own. If you have large rocks in your creek, roll them over and pan what's under them.
    Another thing you can try is if you get into sand or mud that you think probably has gold in it, dig it at the site and take a few 5 gallon buckets of mud home with you and pan it at home where you can take your time and run the material several times. You are not likely to find anything big enough that you can pick up, but even tiny flakes would get me excited. One other thing I can tell you is finding gold in a creek is a lot of work but its like fishing, the more you do it, the more you are likely to find.
    Another thing to look for is black sand. if you are not finding black sand you won't likely find any gold either.

  15. #45
    us
    ready for gold

    Jun 2013
    hidden valley
    92
    17 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post

    In the creeks, you really need to get down to the aluvial gravels and rocks (ancient stream bed) and down to bedrock. While the creek bed will likely contain powder and flake Gold as you dig deeper and deeper, you will encounter the bigger Gold in the aluvial gravels and rocks and down on top of the bedrock. If you encounter any clay layers that are whitish and/or greyish and/or bluish in color as you dig deeper, make sure to process as much of this as possible as it will contain nice powder and flake Gold and possibly some small pickers. These clay layers in NC, SC and GA are often lined with oranges, reds and almost brown colors due to intrusion of red clays and other soils that are nearby which often get mixed into the clays during heavy rain events.

    As far as finding Gold in the rock layers on your' land. The Gold in these rocks as well as in Black Sand, are often chemically bonded to the host rocks and Black Sand and you must first release the Gold from the host rocks. Dig some of these rocks up, crush them into powder, roast the powder in a large iron skillet or pot, then after it cools, pan the powder in a Gold Pan to see if there is any Gold. There are also chemical means of getting the Gold from the powder but some of these are expensive and dangerous. A lot of Gold in these areas of SC and NC are in the slate/shale layers and some Quartz veins that are fairly deep. However, if the Quartz and slate/shale layers are closer to the surface on your' property, then these are the rocks that you really want to excavate and process by the same method as above!

    Good luck!

    Frank
    Thank you frank. This company says there is a 150m250m lode deposit 100m to the north east of me. It is all up hill for 700 m to there large deposit they plan to mine In The coming years . They are not coming across the county line, for what we presume, is greedy county politics. If I were to show you the site,and my location, do you think you could give me a better opinion?

 

 
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. finding gold in south carolina
    By roblisa in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 15, 2016, 10:25 AM
  2. Metal detecting for gold in South Carolina
    By Cstyle00 in forum Metal Detecting For Gold
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
  3. South Carolina Prospecting
    By Drew_dumas in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
  4. South Carolina gold panning, may 26, 2010
    By Astrobouncer in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 30, 2011, 06:55 AM
  5. Gold in South Carolina???????????
    By Summerville Joe in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 15, 2006, 11:05 PM

Search tags for this page

creeks in sc to gold pan

,
gold claim in sc
,

gold in sc

,

gold panning in sc

,
gold panning sc
,
maps of where gold was found near clemson s.c.
,
paning for gold
,
prospecting in sc
,
where sc creek gold is found
,
where to find gold in south carolina
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0