Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a group of us here in minnesota that were discussing if it was possible to do a map of locations gold has been found across minnesota and wisconsin and try to figure pay streaks and concentrations and distance traveled. Have any groups done anything similar and would it be possible? We're not known in this part of the country for gold and any sharing of info helps us build a better understanding of a great hobby for others in our area and helps build the future of prospecting. Thanks! Matt.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodguy how did you do that overlay to sort out the gold spots I'd like to get one for wisconsin too

First go here:http://tin.er.usgs.gov/mrds/

Then in the box select which state
then select which commodity
Then click SEARCH

Once results are displayed
you will see: "Choose format" then select GOOGLE EARTH
Click on GET DATA
Then click on View in: GOOGLE MAPS

Keep trying different things until you learn how it works
There is a tutorial there as well, but I like to experiment and see what I find that maybe I didn't know existed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First go here:http://tin.er.usgs.gov/mrds/

Then click SEARCH

you will see: Choose format, select GOOGLE EARTH
Click on GET DATA

There is a tutorial there as well, but I like to experiment and see what I find that maybe I didn't know existed.
Perfect thanks I'll take a look at that when I get home from work....what else is there to do when its 15 bellow zero....lol

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get certain states to open

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get certain states to open

Some will not automatically download to google maps
On the ones that do not you must click on "download data file" then open it in google earth.

Last edited:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First go here:Mineral Resources Data System (MRDS)

Then click SEARCH

Click on GET DATA

EXCELLENT INFO... I stumbled across that a while ago .....but I couldn't of explained it that easy..lol

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG - Thank you.

That is one awesome resource. Coupled with PLSS and LR2000, I've been able to get a very good knowledge base of my 'area'.

Any other resource tricks you have hidden up your sleeve?

Thanks again.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the gpaa gets there info to publish about areas from its members. they dont go out and search all the states for sites!! get your club to go out and find info and submit it to the gpaa for consideration!

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Gold around Troy, Ohio. I have been to Bruckner Nature Center and the gullies have alot of black sand. Makes me wonder. Ludlow Falls is an outcrop of bedrock. Not far from a gravel pit. Could use a little gold. :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Matt, sounds like a killer project for a club to participate in. I would like to see something like this in Illinois and Indiana, Ohio as well. I think extensive studies of old USGS reports can help too. Maybe our chapter club and your group can work together? I just became president of the St. Louis (Gateway) chapter of the GPAA. We could possibly make this a club project if there are members interested in doing the research. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Jim

You should ask Bill from lachine, I believe he was a kid when the glaciers left

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a little info put together by a member of our group named Ben he also has a North Dakota one he is working on and a Upper Midwest Gold website in the works. He's a geologist since info is hard to come by for our states he decided to start putting info together...check it out!!!! Placer Gold Deposits in Minnesota | Geothunder Projects

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure if you've checked this out yet but there's a Yahoo group for MN gold prospectors that has some interesting posts and pictures of areas where the DNR did gold surveys throughout the state in glacial drift and has results for what they found. Register here and check out some of the posts and photos. minnesotagoldprospectors : Minnesota Gold Prospectors - A place to talk about gold prospecting in MN
The actual maps are located on the DNR website as well, buried in there somewhere, I found them once but that was last year, with some searching I'm sure you could find them.

My friend and I have been to a few places around the state looking for glacial gold deposits, haven't found much yet but we'll be looking this summer too, in between trips to the Black Hills and Wyoming.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you've checked this out yet but there's a Yahoo group for MN gold prospectors that has some interesting posts and pictures of areas where the DNR did gold surveys throughout the state in glacial drift and has results for what they found. Register here and check out some of the posts and photos. minnesotagoldprospectors : Minnesota Gold Prospectors - A place to talk about gold prospecting in MN
The actual maps are located on the DNR website as well, buried in there somewhere, I found them once but that was last year, with some searching I'm sure you could find them.

My friend and I have been to a few places around the state looking for glacial gold deposits, haven't found much yet but we'll be looking this summer too, in between trips to the Black Hills and Wyoming.

Yeah I'm signed up for the yahoo group, not alot of activity on there I usually go to the mngold facebook group

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First go here:Mineral Resources Data System (MRDS)

Then click SEARCH

Click on GET DATA

GG, thank you so much for this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread