Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a group of us here in minnesota that were discussing if it was possible to do a map of locations gold has been found across minnesota and wisconsin and try to figure pay streaks and concentrations and distance traveled. Have any groups done anything similar and would it be possible? We're not known in this part of the country for gold and any sharing of info helps us build a better understanding of a great hobby for others in our area and helps build the future of prospecting. Thanks! Matt.

Upvote 0

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Matt, sounds like a killer project for a club to participate in. I would like to see something like this in Illinois and Indiana, Ohio as well. I think extensive studies of old USGS reports can help too. Maybe our chapter club and your group can work together? I just became president of the St. Louis (Gateway) chapter of the GPAA. We could possibly make this a club project if there are members interested in doing the research. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, Jim

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Robber glaciers are famous for gouging up gold and gems from rich pay and redepositing them in strange places. If and when you're able to find where glaciers dumped their payloads you'll sure have fun. Good luck with your project.

All the best,

Lanny

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a group of us here in minnesota that were discussing if it was possible to do a map of locations gold has been found across minnesota and wisconsin and try to figure pay streaks and concentrations and distance traveled. Have any groups done anything similar and would it be possible? We're not known in this part of the country for gold and any sharing of info helps us build a better understanding of a great hobby for others in our area and helps build the future of prospecting. Thanks! Matt.

Matt,

I have 7 sheets of glacial gold and other mineral deposit diagrams that I picked up at the Gold Show in Dayton Ohio back in October from the Greenbush Prospectors of Wisconsin booth.
Pm me your street address and I'll mail you copies.

GG~

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One place I would start looking is where are the gravel pits located at. Most the gravel pits in the north country were deposited by glaciers. Check out the deposits and you will find quarts and other minerals associated with gold. That would be a worth while club project that could maybe even help raise some funds for your club or a partnership of clubs by selling your finds or not. Any way good idea and good luck!

B H Prospector

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Matt,

I have 7 sheets of glacial gold and other mineral deposit diagrams that I picked up at the Gold Show in Dayton Ohio back in October from the Greenbush Prospectors of Wisconsin booth.
Pm me your address and I'll send you copies.
GG~

GG, I'd be interested in copies too if you don't mind. Let me know what the postage is and I'll cover it. Do you have any that cover other states? IN, IL?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG, I'd be interested in copies too if you don't mind. Let me know what the postage is and I'll cover it. Do you have any that cover other states? IN, IL?

I do but I let my brother borrow them and he lives an hour from me. I'll get them next time I visit.
Do you have Chuck Lassiter's book "Midwest Gold Prospecting"? Any prospectors In glacial drift country should have it.
Along with: "Gold and Diamonds in Indiana" Free on PDF file.... sssh telephone_shhh.GIF.png It's the out of print hard to find original 1905 version!

Below are some glacial gold maps and info from Chuck's website:

OHIO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

WISCONSIN

MICHIGAN

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish minnesota was on that list..most known gold spots in minnesota are hush hush closely guarded secrets but a few of us share info if anyone has facebook check out http://www.facebook.com/groups/MNGold/

Last edited:

HeavyDelta

Dec 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good idea. This summer we will go around and check out some areas out and post our findings here.

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do but I let my brother borrow them and he lives an hour from me. I'll get them next time I visit.
Do you have Chuck Lassiter's book "Midwest Gold Prospecting"? Any prospectors In glacial drift country should have it.
Along with: "Gold and Diamonds in Indiana" Free on PDF file.... sssh View attachment 718561 It's the out of print hard to find original 1905 version!

Below are some glacial gold maps and info from Chuck's website:

OHIO

ILLINOIS

INDIANA

WISCONSIN

MICHIGAN

GG~

Yes, my book should be in the mail Monday. I've been wanting to order it for some time now. I've also read the entire web site as well. Hope there's a lot more infoin his book that isn't on the site.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn nice of you Sir, your screen name certainly fits!!!:)
Matt,

Pm me your street address and I'll mail you copies.

GG~

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

this idea came about because the gpaa minning guide offers little to no info on minnesota and wisconsin, I guess they don't concern themselves about states that don't have claims even though they have paying members in these states. So the more info we can accumulate the better. I for one know its out there and would like to see reports of areas gold has been found (not exact spots keep that a secret if you want) I can verify the gold at Nugget lake county park in pierce county wi. and have found good gold in a bloomington mn. creek and will be looking for more spots this summer:thumbsup:

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Iowa we have flour gold through out the central and western part of the state. If I could map where these deposits were up stream that would be wonderful.

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
Don't forget Missouri (my area is in NW) and NE Kansas. Ive found real good gold here as it seems the Glaciers piled up the gravel here good. As you travel farther east and north it thins out quite a bit until the Chariton River Valley. Also if you follow the Missouri river and check creeks just to the north youll do good.

bottolfsonr

Sep 28, 2012
new richmond, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey matt, rick here. lol i had the same idea when i first started...great minds think alike. anyways i have a sportsmans atlas ive been highlighting the points of rivers ive tried ever sense ive started just to map it out and follow the gold. if you find anymore maps like USGS maps on the subject, let me know. see you next month

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha will do rick and I'll bring the stuff that Goodguy sent me. that was actually part of the plan with people saying where they were from in the state.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a google map overlay with data from the USGS data page for mines that reported values of gold in Minnesota , X's mark the spots.
If you know how to work the USGS site you can get lots of tips on gold bearing areas. There are also KML files that can be merged in with google earth for some pinpoint accuracy complete with gps coords.

Click on the records in the left hand column for details on the mines.
Mineral Resource Data System - Google Maps (don't forget to zoom in and allow time for the overlay to load)

Anyone prospect the Zumbro River near Oronoco Minnesota? There once was a successful commercial placer mining operation there in the 1800's.
They shut down after being flooded out twice loosing all their equipment both times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks again Goodguy. I havn't been to the zumbro but there is the Kasson, MN gpaa group close to there....I'm hoping to get down there this year.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goodguy how did you do that overlay to sort out the gold spots I'd like to get one for wisconsin too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread