Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Bering Sea New Season!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2012
    Southern California
    A cheap little Bounty Hunter
    275 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Those of you who know me also know I can be a bit long-winded. And right now I'm considering using my gift of gab to send an e-mail to the Discovery Channel and if they really wanted drama we should let them in on our little drama of the little miners here in the lower 48.
    The drama between law-abiding American citizens that are legally mining on public lands, and how uneducated special-interest groups are using the federal government to strong-arm us out of doing what is guaranteed our right under the Constitution of the United States. Of how our rights and our public lands are being usurped surreptitiously right out under our noses. And that there are problems of this misuse and trashing of wilderness areas on public lands by a few lowlife miners, some of who may be homeless, and don't care how they affect the wilderness. And and how the wide majority of recreational prospectors actually cleaned up their messes because we understand how important it is to protect our public lands. How even while mining we recover and properly remove mercury and other remnants left behind by the turn-of-the-century miners. How that many of us are part of the mining and treasure clubs in this country, and all follow rules that are meant to help protect the environment, and if possible leave no trace. Of how they beat us over the head with this interpretation of the laws and regulations regarding public lands to benefit their agenda. Of how the dredging ban in California was enacted to protect the salmon industry and affects every river and stream in California whether they have salmon or they are not.. Nobody even knows if dredging is affecting salmon population at all. It sure as hell hasn't affected the population of salmon as much as damning rivers did. But of course it's okay to ruin an ecosystem if it's for the public good. Then maybe they'll understand this thing with little miners is a lot bigger than anybody ever imagined.
    Evil wins when good people do nothing to stop it.
    May I become the person my dog thinks I am.
    Name:  Worlds Greatest Dog2.0 (270x269).jpg
Views: 5084
Size:  34.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aurabbit79er; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
    In all the advancing we can do to improve this world, the sharing of knowledge and wisdom is the most important.
    We stand on the shoulders of giants.
    I am so glad I joined this Message board.
    If I post anything that inspires anyone to do better mining then me, I did my part.
    And If anyone inspires me to try something new, or better, I thank them now.

us
    Oct 2012
    Southern California
    A cheap little Bounty Hunter
    275 times
    And yes that is me and my dog God bless her little soul. Her name is Scully. The picture filename is the world's greatest dog.
    I don't know how that second little picture got posted too.
    In all the advancing we can do to improve this world, the sharing of knowledge and wisdom is the most important.
    We stand on the shoulders of giants.
    I am so glad I joined this Message board.
    If I post anything that inspires anyone to do better mining then me, I did my part.
    And If anyone inspires me to try something new, or better, I thank them now.

us
    Feb 2012
    Prather CA
    Whites GMT
    1549 times
    Finding GOLD
    The guy I was thinking about was not on camera, but a partner, and it seems I read about this between there summer and winter operations. It would not suprise me if they used this for ratings, and even with the anti mining bias from these gold shows, my fever keeps me watching the gold and the recovery. Some of the best episodes were recorded so I can skip the drama, and just enjoy the money shots....

Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I Forgot about him. I don't even remember him on the show unless he had a 5 minute scene working on the boat, and was the guy zeke sent packing first season?
    anyway I would have thought he was buried long before this seasons filming started.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't they end last season
    with a note saying in Memory of ....

Bringing that up now would just be tacky :/

But then again if there are "Belt Weight Guys" running around up there

Exactly you said it before I did .
    My speculation may have not gone over with everyone,
    but the crying & brutzin' for ratings after someones death.
    show member, or not, isn't out of line
    "The most inspiring thing about gold, is not the value, but under magnification, the true beauty of each piece. They are truly like snowflakes that never melt." Oakview2

Oct 2012
    3 times
    I wonder if any consideration has been given to fact that one of the most prolific salmon rivers in the world, Alaskas Copper river runs nothing but silt and nevers clears up, yet the salmon thrive in that environment...oh yeah I forgot the regulators are all educated
    kuger likes this.

Oct 2012
    3 times
    Guys the loss of this very young man was real and affected nearly everyone in the dredging community and the production crews, and seemed to cast a shadow over the rest of the season, a season that was not to good anyway...and yes hurricane Dave, also called shakey was real also...the weight belt scene not quite so real, but the guy really is like he was shown, we put him down to try dredging and he was breathing so fast and hard he sucked the air tank down to 50 psi in a few minutes, and the tank was always 80-100psi with anyone else down
    kuger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5403 times
    Well Watched the show when I got up this Morning

all I can say is on the kid who died. He must have been very Young
    who in their right mind tries to swim the Bering sea ?
    Grandstanding is suicide could he even see the boat from the Shore ?
    seriously, seems, everyone there has a camera crew, where was his ? & Don't motor boats exist ?
    shouldn't have been hard to say "hey buddy, $20 bucks to get me out there
    to my boat"
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:06 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Crevice Vac, Royal Gold Drywasher, Royal 18" Pick, Miller Table, Blue Bowl-Fossickers Fine Gold Recovery System, 12" Custom Gas Powered Trommel, FootPrints, and Google Earth

Sep 2012
    Southern Arizona
    Gold Bug Pro With 5" and Elliptical 5" x 10" Coils, Sun-Ray Gold Pro Headphones.
    1166 times
    Prospecting
    Name:  johnt.jpg
Views: 48201
Size:  15.3 KB
    R.I.P

John Bunce
    Deckhand and Diver, The Edge

Some called John a ladies man. He said he "seasonally dates." John first came to Nome at the age of 10. His family broke apart and moved back to the lower 48, but John stayed and spent the last 5 years bouncing back and forth from Nome to Homer. He worked almost exclusively in gold, but this was his first time working on the ice. John liked to "tear up the bars" after a long day of dredging. "Discovery Chanel".

John Patrick Bunce, 26, died Sept. 1, 2012, at his home in Nome.

John was born Nov. 13, 1985, in Portland, Ore., to Noqah Elisi Adkins and John Patrick Bunce Sr. John's early childhood was spent in Estacada, Ore., and when it was time for him to begin school, he and his mother moved to Ashland where he attended pre-school and kindergarten, while his mother worked for the university and attended classes. It was here that John learned to snow ski, swim, ride a bike and many other activities. He was a quiet child, a watcher with keen observation and insatiable curiosity; he had an innate physical strength and agility greater than most, and a wisdom beyond his years. He was, as some would say of him, "an old soul." John was three-quarters Irish from the Keene family in County Derry, and the Cronan family in County Cork, Ireland, and one-eighth Cherokee of the Wolf clan from the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. He had within him the spiritual awareness and emotional intelligence of his Cherokee ancestors and the witty charm and keen intellect of his Irish roots.

In 1993, John and his mother moved to Alaska where John attended Adventist Elementary School in Fairbanks and Nome. He graduated from North Atlantic Regional High School, and Smoky Bay Learning Center in Homer in 2004. He did his general college studies at Northeast State College in Tennessee, and studied geology and diesel mechanics at University of Alaska Fairbanks. He was certified and licensed through the state of Alaska for diving, professional truck driving, Hazwoper and professional boating safety. When the issue of his going on to further education was brought up, he would say, "I am not disciplined enough to warrant the money it will cost. I think I will wait until I am older." He wanted to study environmental law.

John's first employment was with Tech-Connect in Homer where he learned to install computer systems and programs. Later in Tennessee, he worked as a lens grinder/polisher for an optometrist, and laborer for a construction company. In the restaurant that his family owned, John washed dishes, waited tables, tended the till and cleaned.

Back in Homer he worked as a deck hand on a fishing boat and learned to make parts and construct yurts for Nomad Shelter. In Nome he worked at leveling buildings; in environmental, as a truck driver, and maintenance refueler for Nome Gold, general laborer for Nome Utilities, drill sampling for Metal Logeny, and finally for himself as a diver gold dredging.

He told his mother, "Mom, I love being down there. It is very peaceful, and there is so much to explore and see. I want to take pictures." For the first time beneath his words there was an exhilaration and wonder as he described what he saw and experienced on the ocean floor; he was discovering his passion and coming into his own.

John loved to travel. He visited Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica and Hawaii. At age 10 he rode more than 300 miles on horseback with the Unity of the Nations Riders from the Black Hills of South Dakota, up to Cannon Ball, Alberta. He traveled with his mother in their motorhome from Tennessee to Alaska visiting national parks and historical places along the way. He talked of studying Druidism and going on a pub crawl through Ireland, of bike trips through New Zealand and England, of climbing the pyramids in Egypt and zip-line tours of the Costa Rican jungles. He was interested in history, politics and current events. He read regularly Washington Post and BBC news, and many other sources. His interest in music was widely eclectic, ranging from the sublime to the profane. He could reproduce with perfect pitch any music he heard, and knew all the songs, word and note from Muppet Treasure Island. He had a beautiful tenor voice.

John was well known for his humor, his silly little laugh and quirky grin, and for his ability to listen on a deep level and be wise in his counsel. He had a kind and forgiving nature, non-judgmental of others, which is why people loved being around him. He was loyal and protective of his friends, loving to his family, concerned for their welfare, and respectful and kind to his mother.

John lived his life openly and honestly; there were no hidden agendas, no manipulations. He did not use others for personal gain. He was respectful of women and children, and kind to animals; he loved dogs and sometimes cats. He laughed a lot, cried sometimes and never failed at loving.

He kept people close to his heart, no matter the distance or time; his love and friendship never wavered. He was an honest and solid friend.

His mother said, "To 'L,' With you my son grew into youthful manhood experiencing the miracle of a good friendship blossoming into that mysterious 'first love.' To 'S,' because of you, my son experienced that special love so rich and rare, given and received equally. Such a gift is priceless. You will always have a place in his mother's heart for this. Thank you."

He is survived by his mother, Noqah Elisi, of Homer; uncles Mike, David, Greg and John Adkins; his Aunt Jan Adkins, and cousins Josh and Brandon Adkins of Tennessee; Rodney, Danny and Breanna Grindstaff of North Carolina; adopted brothers Zeak, Sam and Gabe Tenhoff of Nome; half brother and sister Brandon and Kelly Bunce of Oregon; adopted parents Lee and Jess Tenhoff of Homer and John and Nita Klimp of Nome; "more-like-brothers/sisters-than-friends" Mitchell and Tom of Homer, Calvin, Joseph, Javier, Mike, Emily and Panga of Nome, Emma in Anchorage, Jeremiah and Alex Rhodd of South Dakota; and many other friends across the country.

He was predeceased by his grandparents, Charles and Elizabeth Adkins of North Carolina; and cousin, Keith Grindstaff of North Carolina.

His mother said, "The day I felt you come into this life here beneath my heart, I knew you were an expression of God's transcendent love, a gift sublime. Thank you, son, for the greatest honor ever bestowed upon any woman: that of being your mother. You go now, and do the work you are meant to do, with all our love and gratitude for the gift of you." - "Homer News"
    Last edited by AzViper; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO VIEW THE VIDEOS OR THREAD PAGES

Build Your Own Blue Bowl Recovery System - Build Your Own Crevice Vac / Blower - Build Your Own Trommel - Build You Own Miller Table

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5403 times
    was either someone else or fake ...

John Patrick Bunce, 26, died Sept. 1, 2012, at his home in Nome of a self inflicted gun shot.

only thing tragic was his age at death. I don't see where they can
    blame it on the Bering sea

so Sorry if they are saying He died swimming out to the boat they are making it up,
    and need to come up with a new name nobody can google by next week.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120908030336AAyBeuY

Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 05, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

us
    Mad Marshall

Nov 2012
    Placer County CA
    665 times
    Prospecting
    THE REAL TRAGEDY IS IN AMERICA'S VALUES BUT AT LEAST SOME CORPORATION AND GOVERMENT AGENCY MADE SOME MONEY.. Just like the people "Taking one for the team!!"

us
    Mar 2012
    California
    Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
    41 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I hate these Pre shows & after the Show , Shows
    I Didn't watch the Hoffmans Extra from Friday, I wish I hadn't watched this Pre show.

It's obvious to me the Producers Brought back Scott I'm personally not happy about that.)
    I really can't stand the Guy.

The psychopath who acted up over the weight belt ?
    one of 2 things. Hired by the producers to do that,
    or he Thought it was a way to get hired by the producers.

either way, if they bring him in, I'm done.

My guess on the Funeral, also staged for the Preview.
    Probably someone who has never been on the show.
    & the producers made them attend the funeral for PR.
    I believe that is an actor. I have seen him before.

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by soupfreak View Post
    I believe that is an actor. I have seen him before.
    Yes the whole idea he supposedly was applying for a job, & said "I need to see your weight Belt" ?
    and they didn't have one ? & he talked like comedy psychopath was just too obvious.

either a practical joke on the crew, or scam on the tv viewers,
    the producers tried to pull off
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 05, 2013 at 06:20 PM.

us
    Oct 2012
    Columbus Michigan
    Newbie --Researching for one now
    Christine Rose still has to be paddled out to sea by the excavator lol! you would think they would put some outboard motors on that, maybe a few 250 hp or more,

Charter Member
    us
    Swingy Thingy

Nov 2010
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    FisherF75 ,Garret Propointer ,Vivitar HD Cam, Lesche Digger.Only the best of the best Sir!
    649 times
    They couldn't find gold with the lil dredges, and they give them bigger boats. Or how about the guy with the 10" dredge, left his diver on the beach to swim out, and a 90 pound woman to run that beast. No training, no dry runs, and they expect different results? My favorite was the guys drinking while piloting a boat........anyone remember the Exxon Valdez? The real disappointment was all the commercials.
    Barndawg likes this.

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chakra22 View Post
    Christine Rose still has to be paddled out to sea by the excavator lol! you would think they would put some outboard motors on that, maybe a few 250 hp or more,
    personally I'd save the cash & stick to what's working there.
    sort of unique anyway. Like a trade Mark

Charter Member
    us

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    5403 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    They couldn't find gold with the lil dredges, and they give them bigger boats. Or how about the guy with the 10" dredge, left his diver on the beach to swim out, and a 90 pound woman to run that beast. No training, no dry runs, and they expect different results? My favorite was the guys drinking while piloting a boat........anyone remember the Exxon Valdez? The real disappointment was all the commercials.
    I'm still calling on the guy swimming out.
    I think they may be trying to make a hero out of a Kid who shot himself.
    or cash in on a tragedy, by creating Drama

I hope they prove me wrong
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jan 05, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsors