Gold Panning Video

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm throwing this post together for all of the rookies that come to this thread looking for beginner information on gold prospecting all the time. I'll gather videos as I find them and then post them. Some of the videos are about panning, others about detecting, and some will explore various recovery methods. As well, some of them are just for the fun of seeing beautiful, sassy gold, and maybe the chance to explore a mine or two.

There's lots of gold panning videos out there, but if you're just starting out, this one has all the basics.

All the best,

Lanny

Here's another one on making a portable panning/sampling tub.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those that hike in--a good beginner's walk through. This guy is a slow, easy talker, so relax and go with it.

This guy has lots of videos, and he takes everything slow and easy. He's not afraid of hard work, and he certainly knows how to rough it. So, decide on how much time you have, and pick something that interests you--he's very thorough on many things, and he even diagrams and explains things in detail from time to time. (Check out the little video--Gold On Fire, and Clean Up Video--interesting.)

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I hope to go up there when the water cuts down. Ther is short waterfall there With blocked be rocks so it has 3 run off spots. theres also a spot in a rock thats eroded in to a large cubby hole. I'm hoping to use the waterfallto run my sluice at the same time dig out the drops.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a plan--hope you get some bigger stuff.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone found a good video on using a square pan?

All the best,

Lanny

I had to add this: This video is not a beginning video, but it's so cool I had to post it. If you've ever been underground and watched one of these work--you'll never forget it. If you've never been in a drift, this is as close as you'll come. (You usually see these outfits mucking out hardrock, not placer.)

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in love!! You have freakin' got to watch this video if you love placer gold, and BIG North American placer gold at that.

The underground shots are cool, but the gold is way cooler!!!

(This makes me drool, I can only imagine what it will do for a rookie that's just getting his or her feet wet.)

All the best,

Lanny

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAAANNNN oh Man.......THAT IS SOME REALLY SWEET GOLD! If that don't ignite the fever
in ya, your not a gold miner! Thanks Lanny.....:hello:

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MAAANNNN oh Man.......THAT IS SOME REALLY SWEET GOLD! If that don't ignite the fever
in ya, your not a gold miner! Thanks Lanny.....:hello:

Absolutely no problem--you're very welcome!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Gold on a much smaller scale, but these boys had some fun, and they're doing it all sniping on bedrock.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These guys in Australia always seem to have fun gettin' the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I like about this video, it's a video of a little family outing where they're refining an equipment design and they fail. Failure is an essential part of the success learning cycle.

I love prospecting in Montana--in the mountains, it's an incredibly beautiful state.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dry gulch work.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Joining a pay-to-pan or pay-to-dig operation, or joining a club is a good way to learn a lot of things from other people, and a great way to see different types of equipment in operation.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not a big production video, but good for showing how to run more material in a day than you can with a pan: hand-sucker/hand dredge and a river sluice.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Zip up to about the 7 minute mark for most of the gold.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Letrap plastic sluice. This guy has figured out how to stabilize it in a stream bed! Plus, you get to see one in operation, and you get the cleanup demonstrated as well. This particular sluice is very light and super easy to pack in, and there's never and carpet to clean up.

He shows his set-up starting at the 4:48 mark.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread