Arizona Platinum

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All the research I have done about platinum in Arizona has resulted in my 'uniformed' opinion that there isn't any platinum in Arizona. Everything I can find on the subject indicates that nickel deposits tend to produce platinum deposits as they are related to each other on the atomic chart. The few mentions in knowledgable literature have indicated that 'IF' one finds platinum in Arizona, it is most likely to come from deposits washed in from distant sources. Now the problem:

Over the past few months I have encountered several people who have mentioned platinum locally (Northwest of Phoenix 50 miles). In one case, an acquaintance of mine told me a story about a well being drilled and small spherical pieces of a metal appearing in the sediments. Sent to ASU for analysis, the result came back platinum.
A second acquaintance questioned the validity of an assay that indicated platinum in the Congress area near here.
And just yesterday I had a veteran gold prospector who is working in the Congress area indicate that he has found some platinum there and wondered if my new sluice would work as well for platinum as it does gold. (no brainer of course it would. platinum is heavier).

I really never gave much further thought to it until yesterday, after this last guy left, I was panning out some fines that I had put through my new sluice to demonstrate it to him that came from a mine near here, when I found a piece of shiny silver-white metal that sat with the gold. Not lead. Too shiny and didn't dissolve in peroxide and vinegar. Not silver. Palladium? It wouldn't be shiny. The speck is very small so I can't do much with it but look at it under a jewelers loupe. But it is pretty hard. The other anomally I found in this material was some very pale gold that had a high hardness. I saw another piece of this a few weeks ago from material from the same place, and I just thought it might be regular old low-carat gold. But now I am wondering if it might not be a platinum-gold alloy or some other alloy. Again the flake of gold, like the silver metallic speck is very small so I find very little I can do with it.

It's on my list of 'things-i-gotta-do-that-i-prolly-won't-for-a-long-time-if-ever', but I thought that there may be some people on the forum that might actually have some first hand authoritative knowledge on this subject.

Anyone have any thoughts on platinum in Arizona or what this speck might turn out to be?

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LP 13,
Somehow Wickenburg has a nice sound to it. I would think you should talk with Terry Soloman here on Tnet as he prospects in AZ, just send him a PM and you should receive a good reply with info. Sounds like some research with potential, best of success with the search!

What type of sluice do you have?

Here's a shot of some small nuggets I found with my GMT/batpan/A52 combo as well as lots of hard work -

185_8517.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63bkpkr - I have a Gold Well sluice. Designed, engineered and manufactured by ... ME :) It is now becoming commercially available (I am in small quantity production currently.) It excels at recovery of fine gold missed by most sluices. And it will catch the big stuff too. It has 'wells' that create a gentle vortex action that keeps the well clear of light material and does not offer a solid bed for gold to move across. That's it in a nutshell basically. All the testing so far has proven it out to do extremely well leaving a whole lot less material at the end of the day to go through to get your gold out of. 10 minute end-of-day cleanup anyone? One of the guys using my sluice told me the other day that he wasn't used to seeing so much fine gold in his pan when he cleaned out his sluice. Going to take time to establish myself I am sure. I'm workin on it.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LP 13, very interesting! Do you happen to have a video or pictures of it in use? I/we would love to see it! What size is it/are they? How much does it weigh? What materials is it made of? What is your asking price?

I expect to be laid up pretty soon with a shoulder operation and at the moment I'm not certain whether it is a go in and fix it or go in and replace it though I'm voting for the first type. Umm, of course if you are not at the divulging stage ignore my questions .........63bkpkr

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
63bkpkr - I have a Gold Well sluice. Designed, engineered and manufactured by ... ME :) It is now becoming commercially available (I am in small quantity production currently.) It excels at recovery of fine gold missed by most sluices. And it will catch the big stuff too. It has 'wells' that create a gentle vortex action that keeps the well clear of light material and does not offer a solid bed for gold to move across. That's it in a nutshell basically. All the testing so far has proven it out to do extremely well leaving a whole lot less material at the end of the day to go through to get your gold out of. 10 minute end-of-day cleanup anyone? One of the guys using my sluice told me the other day that he wasn't used to seeing so much fine gold in his pan when he cleaned out his sluice. Going to take time to establish myself I am sure. I'm workin on it.

Is it a recirc sluice? I would be interested in reviewing it and writing it up for publication. Check out my site Arizona gold prospecting, gold prospecting, gold panning

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
63bkpkr, Terry, have you gotten my responses to your PM's? I have not yet gotten a response from replies that I have sent using the PM system here. Is it working properly?

Yes! Just checked it and saw that I missed your call. I'll call you tomorrow, thank you so much!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LP,
I have not received your PM. Just checked my PM file and nothing there: 1:30PM 06Jan2013 (Calif time)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to Az.gov, the presence of Platinum (and platinum group metals) in AZ is a qualified YES. Profitable amounts, a qualified NO. I have been prospecting AZ for a few years now but never confirmed platinum in the pan. That is simply because I am disposed to the recovery of gold and not to the tiny bits of platinum that may be present. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incidently, platinum is more rare than gold yet I don't understand why the spot price of platinum doesn't reflect that of recent years. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A guy came by my store and asked to use one of my new sluices to try it out for a week or two. I let him have it. Two weeks later he brought it back along with 11 grams of gold that he got from a bucket of dirt and asked if I would trade the gold straight across for the sluice. The gold varied in color a fair amount. I am guessing 14k to 22k by color. I agreed. Recently I was examining the gold and noticed a few very pale pieces. i decided to test the gold out and put it in hydrochloric acid. Of course no effect on it. But it did clean it up some. I then noticed a silver-white wire of metal. At first I thought it was silver then realized that it probably wasn't. So I put it in nitric acid. No effect. Also put it in hydrogen peroxide and the H2O2 wasn't catalyzed, meaning it wasn't silver for sure. So since there isn't supposed to be any platinum here (and this piece has a lot of detail on it meaning it didn't roll here in some river from Oregon or Michigan or wherever else there is platinum), it left me wondering what it is. There are only a few candidates as I see it. Paladium, Platinum or Iridium, Osmim and Ruthenium. But those are all platinum group metals, and wouldn't think they would be here either if Platinum isn't found here. I am wondering if there is a test I can do to rule these out that won't be destructive to the sample. The piece I have is less than 1/4 inch long and 1/32 inch wide. I have included a picture of it next to one of the pieces of gold I got. By color I am guessing the gold to be 22K.

silver-white metal.jpg

OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bob's gold.jpg
Here is a picture of some of the rest of the gold.

OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For anyone actually still reading the posts in this thread, I had the sample tested. Here is the assay report on it:

Niton Analysis: ppm

Ta = Tantalum = 1072
Re = Rhenium = 404
Cd = Cadmium = 977
Pd = Palladium = 872
Ag = Silver =1492
Au = Gold = 2075 divided by 31.1 = 66.72 ounces per tonCu = Copper = 145
Fe = Iron = 239
Cr = Chromium= 470
Hg = Mercury = 876

No reading for Pt. = Platinum

Examination under my Microscope indicates the sliver is an AMALGAMATED OF METALS with Mercury as the binding/capturing agent.

Edwin

This gold came from the ground and not near (to my knowledge) a UFO crash site, nuclear test site or toxic waste disposal site. That sure seems like an awfully strange assay! Furthermore, although the assay says it contains mercury and is an amalgam, prior to posting here I put the sample in concentrated nitric acid for a day (70% nitric), and it had no effect. Should have removed the mercury I think but for some reason the nitric didn't remove it all? I'm a bit confused there. Perhaps some other metal in the mix interfering with the nitric-mercury reaction?

Cadmium, tantalum, palladium, chrominum, copper, iron and gold, etc. seem like what one would get if they melted down some old circuit boards, ic's, capacitors and all. Did dinosaurs have pc's :icon_scratch:

Any comments?

Last edited:

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a former resident of Congress,AZ. I can tell you that there is platinum in
your area,BUT ITS VERY EASY TO BE FOOLED! too many other minerals it might
be! Have never heard of anyone in AZ. making money on platinum. Too little !!!

OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I wasn't really looking for platinum. This entire thing is a curiosity mostly. As you can see by the above assay that there was no platinum in that sample. Unanswered questions bother me ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions