Things you might consider before making a living at prospecting

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1. Disapointment ( I hope you don't mind having your dreams dashed on a daily basis.

2. Weather (It's either too hot or to cold very very rarely with you ever have the perfect conditions.

3. Your Body ( can you or do you want to be punishing your body on a daily basis,even if you do, can you handle it.?

4. Not all men are created equal ( despite what you may have been told)

5. common sense (the majority of you lack this)

6. Basic first aid ( When I'm out with someone I am responsable for them and for their safety as they are for mine,)

7. Trust ( Before asking for partners ect. ect be sure to think it thru always a mistake to seek out a partner. hell me and my brother still go round and round over stupid stuff and we got blood that binds us.)

8.Knowledge ( books and internet are not enough first hand experiance is a must)

9. Internet ( full of half truths and opinons don't take anyone else word for it)

10. Goals (where does it stop how much is enough.. there are easier ways to make a buck)

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I could give you more than one like, I would as you HIT THE MARK with me! My brother and I CANNOT get on the same page when it comes to gold, and some other things. With your negative attributes should be the positive attribute, TENACITY, the key that separates those that get the gold and those that do not! Great post. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,
#10 is an interesting point especially for those who are only in it for the gold. If I were in it for the gold I would have stopped a long time ago. For me it is the adventure and as Terry indicated Tenacity helps a lot. If I was there just for the gold the 1/4 oz I found with three weekends of work would have stopped me on the spot. I thought it was so interesting that I was doing something so similar to the 49'ers that I wanted to continue "tasting" that part of the adventure especially as I was using one of their tools I'd found in the area.

Good food for thought if not a warning for the uninformed.........63bkpkr

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely right about that!! Tenacity is what you need. I bet 85 percent of detectors are in a closet after being used a few times.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree if i was just in this gig for gold, the 70 miles and the last three months of searching the mnt for for the stuff would would of stopped me dead im my tracks.
we found nothing for the many holes we dug.
But I have to say All the gold in the world wouldnt quench my thirst for desert prospecting. Ive been walkin this ole desert for the better part of 20 years prospecting hard rock gold and its just something that gets in your blood, been to alaska,north cal. there was lots of nice gold both places.

But desert prospect bug is a differant beast, if youve found a hard rock pocket,or a large placer theres nothing like i tell ya.

And tomorrow if i found a big one the next day id be right back at it. rain or shine,freezing wind or blistering summer heat, nor will killer bees keep me from my dream living the 49 life.
All points on your list a very true you forgot # 11 youll probably loose your girl or maybe wife they tend to frown on mining.

Im one of the fortunate crazys, I worked to set my self up for mining bought my shack, quit my job, got sued over a bad gold partnership I lost, now im broke.
thank god my wife works and tolerates my life choice. On the serious side I wouldnt trade my days on the mnt for nothing, Ive seen things you cant even buy with money or gold.

Dont quit your job for gold but do follow ones dreams, No guarantee tommorow will come for any of us, you wouldnt want to miss a chance of a lifetime expierience.

Good luck N Happy Hunting Cpt Herb

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Capt. Herb. 29 Palms. Marine? Thank you for your service and sacrifice to this great country. Land of the free because of the brave! Terry

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Marshall--and I thought you were going to respond to your own statement (things you might consider before making a living at prospecting) with something like, "Anything but prospecting"!:laughing7:

I know that when it comes to gold recovery sometimes that I've never worked as hard for far, far less than someone would earn getting paid minimum wage.

All the best,

Lanny

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Capt. Herb. 29 Palms. Marine? Thank you for your service and sacrifice to this great country. Land of the free because of the brave! Terry

No sir I was not in the service had no diploma. They gave me that title for my bush expierance and my abilaty to sniff out the yellow metal and dig hardrock.
freedom is not free
its paid for with
blood.
I thank you! for your service
Cpt. Herb

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospecting for a living? Never. I just like playing in the dirt.....which sometimes has cool stuff in it!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic post, MM - man, I could write a book! (as could 50 others here) I'll just do #7. for starters. Had 6 or 8 "partners" in ten years. First one walked
off, down a remote canyon, after stupid argument over 5 dollar nugget - never saw him again. ever. Second, always sippin' whiskey, falling down(you know
how dangerous that is) - last straw when coming back from town with 80lbs of groceries, him a "little unsteady", swimming across the river to camp(about
30 ft), in March, he "capsized" - he almost drowned, got hypthermia(had to strip him and build a fire right on the bank. Left him in town next time. Next one
was on me - a "river tramp" befriended us - let him hang around camp - pretty much useless. One day I stupidly hired him to tend to rocks in the dredge
sluice - 60/40 percentage of the days take - that was the day I found the 13 oz. quartz/gold cobble. Long story short paid him $440 for his share, of course
he was gone the next day. And on and on:unhappysmiley:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No sir I was not in the service had no diploma. They gave me that title for my bush expierance and my abilaty to sniff out the yellow metal and dig hardrock.
freedom is not free
its paid for with
blood.
I thank you! for your service
Cpt. Herb
Tnx bk 2 ya. Just about every month I go from Murphys to Yarnell. I go past 29, Marine Logistics, and Edwards. One of these days I will try out my service connected disability card.... to use their BX and PX. Take Care. TTC

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good try at telling it like it is. Only spent a short time doing this and hated it by the 3rd day. Six months later we were looking for that famous tree with something stuck in it. Axe, spike, anything we could tie a rope to and hang ourselves...

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking back, austin, what did you do wrong - might be helpful to other first-timers.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's WHY you do this for fun, Been testing in my area for a couple months now.. About 5 days, haven't found any measurable gold yet, but I've found some pretty bad ass pieces of history left out there for me to find. I'm in the right area and we will eventually find some gold up there, for now, I'm in it for the adventure.
Best of luck to all.

image-2553135197.jpg

Attachments

• image-4133744599.jpg
    image-4133744599.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image-1238883105.jpg
    image-1238883105.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 136
  • image-3501764283.jpg
    image-3501764283.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2308171434.jpg
    image-2308171434.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 145
  • image-2694720440.jpg
    image-2694720440.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2733505818.jpg
    image-2733505818.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image-776619876.jpg
    image-776619876.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 127

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, clear photos - Is that black tourmaline crystal sticking out of the quartz? - could be worth a few dollars in rock collectors market.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye, Fullpan.
Yes it is black tourmaline, have found lots of it in quartz and in schist, that's the only true point we have found. I didn't think there was much of an interest in the black, seems all I hear is pink or red tourmaline being wanted. Hmm
Thanks

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, maybe in another part of the country - It slipped by me that you are in the gem tourmaline capital of North America:thumbsup:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, talking about TerryC's subject, TENACITY - When I first commited to full time prospecting (thank god I had no responsibilities or debt), I chose the most
remote spot I could find on that river. There were two access points, both a 1,000 ft. above camp. The one on the south ridge was protected by a forest
service "green gate" I found a spare key and made hundreds of trips thru it and was able to cut hiking time by half, but suffered extreme anxiety every time
I "came out" not knowing if I'd be locked in! At the bottom, wading or swimming a little, depending on water level, to the "sunny side" big gravel bar campsite. After some time, I started using the north side access, due to the anxiety, and had to hike the full 1,000 ft. I also spent a couple months, spare time, cutting
a "pick mattock" trail for about half the distance. I also hand carried enough 2 X 4's and 4 x8 plywood sheets down to build a shed/shack for winter. One
time, about 3 years into it, climbed up to truck to go to town, and found the only tree(dead snag) on the logging deck had fallen and pretty much crushed
my truck. That was the lowest point, but it turned out ok, with time. Of course, haven't even covered the mining part! After nearly ten years, ended up
with 15 ozs. in the safety deposit box. Would I do it again? Does a wild bear **** in the woods?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread