THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOURE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THIS SHOULD GET YOUR ATTENTION IF YOU'RE IN SOUTHERN ARIZONA

This big mountain lion was shot recently in the San Pedro River Area. The big cat weighed 225 pounds. This area is just east of the Catalina / Rincon mountain ranges east of Tucson, Arizona. If this big lion does not have you looking over your shoulder then this will catch your attention below as these big cats have a huge range that they travel within prospecting areas.

biglion.jpg

Arizona Game and Fish has confirmed that Jaguars have moved into southern Arizona from Mexico. This big cat was treed by a lion hunter in Cochise County in southern Arizona. Loin hunter Donnie Fenn and his 10 year old daughter were out and about when his hound dogs had treed a large Jaguar. Currently AG&F have many cameras in undisclosed areas in the Santa Rita mountain range monitoring the movement of these large cats. The Santa Rita Mountains are just south of Tucson, Arizona. AG&F has many photos but would not release them as the surrounding areas would show just where these cats are being sighted.

jagr.jpg

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kuger,

You really got me on this one. I've been walking the hills of Tuolumne and Mariposa counties for nearly 40 years now (I started early in life). We went caving walking to and from the caves in the dark. We've hiked with no flashlights for hours in the dark (stupid game we play to this day, as if we need more excitement). We've layed down where ever we were when we got tired. I have not ever seen a big cat but I have heard a few. Not sure why it never bothered me before but these pictures have really made me think. Those cats are beautiful, I'd like to see one, from a distance. Thanks for all the great info you send out, both on gold and wildlife and I appreciate you taking a well balanced approach to keeping things wild and protecting the environment, a lot of greenies could sure learn something about REALLY saving the environment from you.

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of how much Fluffy weighed....its still a BIG CAT and not one that I would want to meet out MD'ing. I have to admit though, they are beautiful creatures!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kuger,

You really got me on this one. I've been walking the hills of Tuolumne and Mariposa counties for nearly 40 years now (I started early in life). We went caving walking to and from the caves in the dark. We've hiked with no flashlights for hours in the dark (stupid game we play to this day, as if we need more excitement). We've layed down where ever we were when we got tired. I have not ever seen a big cat but I have heard a few. Not sure why it never bothered me before but these pictures have really made me think. Those cats are beautiful, I'd like to see one, from a distance. Thanks for all the great info you send out, both on gold and wildlife and I appreciate you taking a well balanced approach to keeping things wild and protecting the environment, a lot of greenies could sure learn something about REALLY saving the environment from you.
Spiller,Thank you,I cant tell ya what hearing that means to me.I have devoted my life to wildlife.I truely beleive I was put on this earth to have done what I have done.I am not old,but at present time because of having a family not working in the line of work I am passionate about,and am a fish out of water.In this day in age we have had a turn of the new generation influenced by Liberal Radical's who have become college professors ,passing on personal beleifs and agenda's,that are totally against everything we have learned about wildlife management through the years.Another issue is letting the general public who has zero knowledge about wildlife vote,or have say on laws concerning the best benefit of wildlife,and vote on emotion or what lies have been fed to them.I am "old school....schooled",and have seen the positive results of these practices.It "kills",me to see us losing ground on what our forefathers and my mentors worked so hard to accomplish...we have swung too far.ah,ya got me going....I will get off my box.....anyway....its nice to be recognized for being in the "middle",which we need so many more of.I have been so fortunate to have been able to do what I have done and have been associated with people I have,a lot comes together now,and I wonder where my path leads to next.I know with my two daughters now,I cant ever do what I used to,those weeks/months away from home are long gone.
As for lions around here....yea,we used to spelunk the caves at Camp Nine,play in Carson Hill(Pre the last mining Op)Play in the Gold Cliff Mine(stay underground for 8 hours at a time!!)run the hills chasing quail and rabbits,never thought about lions......time have changed now my friend,lions dont fear us....they dont "hunt",us either,but they are oportunists and if they are hungry and everything is right........I promise they have watched you.
Anyway,Thanks again,and we need to meet someday!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ditto, Lanny - "I had no idea" Side note: I think a MDer would be REALLY vunerable to attack, especially when alone, unarmed, concentrating on his
read-outs, and squatting over his dig hole.

You got that right! Lots of people run the cougars with hounds, so that keeps them on their toes, and keeps them rather wary of people. Having said that, I always go well-heeled when in bear and cougar country to up my odds of survival.

All the best,

Lanny

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is exactly right Lanny!!!!!If they are hounded,or hunted they still fear man,this is proven and fact,the grizzlies are a perfect example of that!!In all the years they were hunted in the Rockies an attack was rare....now there is four or five attacks a year.....quite a few are by protective mothers and thats different,thats doing what they are wired to do...and as a human just in the wrong place at the wrong time.I have personally been hunted by a grizz,and your lions up your way all looked at us like "dinner",when we had them treed....biggest lions on average I ever seen too

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is exactly right Lanny!!!!!If they are hounded,or hunted they still fear man,this is proven and fact,the grizzlies are a perfect example of that!!In all the years they were hunted in the Rockies an attack was rare....now there is four or five attacks a year.....quite a few are by protective mothers and thats different,thats doing what they are wired to do...and as a human just in the wrong place at the wrong time.I have personally been hunted by a grizz,and your lions up your way all looked at us like "dinner",when we had them treed....biggest lions on average I ever seen too
The only bears that have no natural fear of man are the polar bears. To them, the VERY rare human contact is just another meal! TTC

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where doe's a cat that Big Sleep??? Answer>>>> Anywhere it at as Long as My Ass Is Long Gone!!! HH Chug

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug....pretty much, often in tree's on ledges Like the one on the bobcat thread here......Toms where ever they happen to be.Lions dont have a breeding season so they breed year round,with young a female will have a lair.
Through telemetry it has been quite interesting to watch where a signal hangs up and then going in later to pinpoint where the resting spot has been,I have seen resting spots in culverts,under shacks...in shacks,under bushes in parks/yards,even under porches!!!We once tracked a collared cat via telemetry within a VERY populated major city,and crossed two major freeways several times,for a week....crazy thing is we(Dept. Fish & Game)never received a single sighting call!!!!!Really an eye opener to just how stealthy lions are!!!!!!That cat was eating very well on house cats and small dogs by the way.......it did kill one deer

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kuger,

I have always thought of myself (as I do you) as an environmentalist (not a greenie or tree hugger). My definition of environmentalist is someone who loves, enjoys and respects nature. Someone who will put a little effort into making a place better than it was when they got there. I believe this fits most miners (there are bad apples on every tree). The miners I have known have always stopped to wacth Mother Nature, whether it was in the form of an animal, weather or other natural phenomenon. The pendulum certainly does swing and hopefully it starts swinging back towards rational thinking. As far as caving (and exploring mines), yeah I remember when Carson Hill when it was a huge network of shafts and adits, spent plenty of time there and in other mines, especially in the desert (I am not recommending this, just stating what I have done). Camp Nine has over a dozen caves along it and there are dozens of others in that vicinity. My caving friends were not prospectors, only cavers, so I would cave with them and then pan when we made camp. I did see some amazing prospecting areas well off the beaten path while hunting down caves, one of which I am sure will pay when I have the time to get back there. I completely understand about having kids, I have a young son who means the world to me. I can't spend too much time away and I can't take the risks I once did (still like to push it though!). I'm absolutely sure I have been watched and sized up for a meal, it's still the two legged ones I'm most wary of. Yes, we will have to meet someday; I have much respect for you and hope you find a golden path to follow in life.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: when a feller pretty much makes his living off the land,he tends to take care of it!!!!Its what my forefathers did,and what I was taught at a very young age to do

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not Terry,been a few years since I have made it down.There are some of the best in the world there!!!He sounds like my kind of guy!!Not great with people/great with dogs!!!
I have been wanting to ask you if you know Johnny Thorpe?He is kind of a "hero",of mine....of sorts(we have led very similar lives)he was a famous trapper and treasure hunter from New York,and Arizona like your self

Johnny Thorpe did a segment for a trapping show on the outdoor channel. I really enjoyed it, he is one of the trapping legends, and seemed like a nice guy.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the hunters intentions are to make the cat look bigger by them kneeling behind the cat. This is a classic pose that hunters do to show their rewards whether it’s a deer, javalina, elk, antelope, etc.

I would NEVER use trick photography....btw here's a giant mushroom I found. 2008+one.jpg

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Thorpe did a segment for a trapping show on the outdoor channel. I really enjoyed it, he is one of the trapping legends, and seemed like a nice guy.

He is,I first met him in the 90's our paths crossed trapping the same country

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having owned a photography business I see nothing in the first photo that suggests the hunters are doing anything but taking a photo of their rewards. The center of the camera lens is at the same elevation as the subject, had the photo been shot uphill the subject would appear bigger. It’s very obvious they are not using a telephoto lens as the foreground and background are in focus, if anything the hunters are guilty of using too much F-stop causing everything in the photo of being in focus. Had they used a lower F-stop would have brought more attention to the subject by leading your eyes into the photo with the subject in focus and foreground and background out of focus. The two hunters are placed behind the animal sitting upright and resting their arms on the back of the lion, again what you would expect. I think what’s a clear indication of the size of the lion is the log in which the lion is resting on. I don’t think anyone that has been around big game can dispute that the lion is huge for its species.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger - I just want to say, I'd pay 50 bucks to see a factual biography of your life. You were/are a modern day mountain man, and while you have somewhat
of a "hair trigger" the world needs more folks who cut thru the BS, and tell it like it is. J.Johnson"s line in the movie "I've been to town" reminds me of you.
Please don't change.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger - I just want to say, I'd pay 50 bucks to see a factual biography of your life. You were/are a modern day mountain man, and while you have somewhat
of a "hair trigger" the world needs more folks who cut thru the BS, and tell it like it is. J.Johnson"s line in the movie "I've been to town" reminds me of you.
Please don't change.

Thanks Fullpan,I have pondered a book of some type someday,for my kids more than anything.Much of what I have seen and done folks would never beleive but the stories I do tell,I tell with ability to prove them.I wish I would have had more foresight back in the day and documented a lot of things.I honestly didnt think what I was doing was unique.....there was always somebody else doing "it",too,and there was always somebody better,which is what drove me.I have never MASTERED anything,but I have picked up a thing or two...much the hard way!I am not real old,but times have changed and I often think of my life and compare it to how the real Mountain men felt!
I do have a hair trigger,and always have but was always out and away from people so never really occurred to me that it wasnt a good trait....many things about me I cant change but that is one I am working on,I truely do not like that about myself!!Thanks again my friend

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While your adventures "out there" would be very entertaining, what would interest me the most is your characterization of the slow blurring of "right and wrong"
into the gray areas we see from gov't agencies. You have spent a chunk of time working with and contracting for these guys. I wonder how many times you've
said "well, this just isn't right" in the last 20 years? And of course, your signature says it all about gov't at the federal level.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While your adventures "out there" would be very entertaining, what would interest me the most is your characterization of the slow blurring of "right and wrong"
into the gray areas we see from gov't agencies. You have spent a chunk of time working with and contracting for these guys. I wonder how many times you've
said "well, this just isn't right" in the last 20 years? And of course, your signature says it all about gov't at the federal level.

...................all I will say is "this",is why I no longer work for em........best job in the world,but some cant just sit back and be a number,and watch the waste,and deceit,and.........I will stop there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread