Claim information

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all.
Was doing some searching online for information on locating mining claims. Or should I say, finding out if an area is already claimed.

I've learned how to use google earth and PLSS for getting my township/range/section information. And I've been to BLM's LR2000 website to view their claim reports. Does this give you the whole picture?

I've got a spot I'm interested in and have run both the active and closed reports from LR2000. I show no active claims, and several closed claims. Does this mean the area is open? It's on National Forest lands.

This is all new to me and I don't want to get out there and find out I'm trespassing.

I plan on doing some extended hiking and camping this spring and would like to do some panning while I'm at it. Just want to do it correctly if you know what I mean. :)

Thanks and hello.

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it's always been best to run down to BLM & pull the file for that section to see how many claims are either active or caught up in legal action with the court. A lot of claims have been under attack as of late and though they still have been paid up and active in the claim owners eyes, they don't always come up as active online while they are still under attack from the forest circus wanting unneeded poo's or whatever. When you are there then you can also look at the boundaries of each claim in that area and pull the names & phone #'s to contact about making contracts with them to work their claims.

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow,
So there's a lot of confusion out there huh? I read another thread here about a backlog at BLM also.

I should have known it would not be as easy as that. I planned on visiting the local offices anyway, so I'd better schedule more time. :)

Is it easy to access the records? I've always wondered how the claim information was kept, so guess I'll finally find out. Since I'll be in Eldorado County, I would visit the BLM field office there correct?

Do claim owners mind being asked about their claims? Or do I stand the chance of being shot as I'm knocking on their door? I've heard a few of the old timers are a bit onery.

Thanks Reed, now I've got a better idea that what I have may not be the true situation once I get there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions