Prospecting the amrican river in sacramento

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone out there prospecting the American river in Sacramento?? I'm new to it all and I didn't want to waste my time if nothing has traveled that far down the river. I live just beyond the nibus dam and I'm very curious if anyone has tried any panning or detecting along it. Any answers would be helpful and suggestions on where I should prospect the American river.

Thank you guys!!

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there is lots of gold (under your feet in RC) in the American, downstream of Nimbus, it is too small (pin-head size and much smaller) and too widely
scattered to be profitable for "mom and pop" ops. There might be a one-in-a-million chance of finding a nugget, but you are just a few miles(think anywhere
above Folsom in elev.) for decent sized (flakes and larger) gold. I'm sure you've seen the posts from guys back east that are getting "fly poop" out of glacial
deposits just for fun and exercise. They would be overjoyed to be in your location, and know that they're within an hour's drive of gram nuggets and larger.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While there is lots of gold (under your feet in RC) in the American, downstream of Nimbus, it is too small (pin-head size and much smaller) and too widely
scattered to be profitable for "mom and pop" ops. There might be a one-in-a-million chance of finding a nugget, but you are just a few miles(think anywhere
above Folsom in elev.) for decent sized (flakes and larger) gold. I'm sure you've seen the posts from guys back east that are getting "fly poop" out of glacial
deposits just for fun and exercise. They would be overjoyed to be in your location, and know that they're within an hour's drive of gram nuggets and larger.

I fit this description I drive 3.5 hrs each way for fly poop.

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fullpan said:

Do you need at permit to pan or sluice in the American River??

keepmehumblelord

Jan 10, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No you do not need a permit. If you go to iowa hill there is a $10 a day charge to prospect with a pan sluice detector

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to Iowa Hill many times and they have never charged me $10.00 except for too many beers in that town :occasion14:
The only people that I know of that charge people anything is the rangers in the Auburn State Rec area trying to make money to supplement their income by lining their pockets with money, they claim they have a valid reason for, to let you park in the middle of know where on our river. Don't pay the thieves anything for what they do not own.

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iowa hill (the town) is old hydraulic tailings, and its all claimed and/oe leased. Mineral bar campground at iowa hill bridge is a fee area, but its for parking, prospecting is free (at least foe a little while longer).
As far as gold in the valley, the american is all dammed and gold does not travel well down stream. If your on the 50 corridor side of the valley, you can try your luck on the cosumnes river out by rancho murrierta. Not big gold, but there is flour gold and garnets. Also, almost any creek or river along hiway 49 is gold bearing, just pay attention for private property signs.
If going up I-80 is better for you, I recomend ponderosa road down on the american, exit west paoli rd and follow the signs for river access. Also yankee jims rd on the american at yankee jims bridge, exit canyon way and turn right. Yankee jims road is a left about half mile down. Also mineral bar at iowa hill bridge, exit canyon way and turn left, iowa hill road is a right just before chevron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread