HUGE 5.5 Kilo 12 pound Gold Nugget found in Ballarat first PIC

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Ahhh, me ole family were miners, you can go online now and see tha size of the land holdings shrink over time. Bludgers, nothing left by the time I was born.

Anyway, this was found last week.

Is it a hoax? I dont think so, not this time.

881467-gold-nugget-ballarat.jpg

Video

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mickk

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
A WHOPPING 5.5kg gold nugget worth up to $300,000 has been found in bush near Ballarat. The "incredibly rare" nugget was found 60cm underground by a prospector, who wishes to remain anonymous, on Wednesday.
Ballarat Mining Exchange Gold Shop owner and dealer Cordell Kent said the prospector heard a faint noise on his detector and removed a dense pile of leaf mulch before he started digging.
"He thought he had detected the bonnet of a car when he saw a glint of gold," Mr Kent said.
"He cleaned the top of it and the gold kept expanding and expanding ... he saw more and more gold ... he couldn’t believe what he was seeing."
The nugget is worth about $282,000 in weight, but has an added premium because it is rare to find one over a kilogram, Mr Kent said.

I dunno, I reckon a $50 detector can find 5.5 kilo of gold at 2 foot deep. maybe another Minelab con? Leafs means trees. All the trees in ballarat were cut down. Its all new growth, last 100 years or so. All the ground where trees are has been worked, I cant see how this thing could have been anywhere near a tree. What that implies is that is has lain on the surface all this time or discarded. I cant see how anyting this big could have been manually discarded, so that means it must have been on the surface the whole time. So must have been an old road or shack floor because everything has been disturbed over time.

"I have been a prospector and dealer for two decades, and cannot remember the last time a nugget over 100 ounces (2.8kg) has been found locally.
"It’s extremely significant as a mineral specimen. We are 162 years into a gold rush and Ballarat is still producing nuggets - it’s unheard of."
The nugget was found with a state of the art metal detector called a Minelab GPX-5000, marketed as the best in the world, which Mr Kent said made the find possible.
"There has been many prospectors that have walked past the exact place where the nugget was found and have missed it with an ordinary detector and did not have the technology to find it…that’s why this guy found it.
"This detector he used is the best there is, it goes deeper and further into the ground, better than others."
Mr Kent said the find was unique with the nugget measuring at its longest 220mm, 140mm wide and 45mm at its deepest point.
He said the find would increase the enthusiasm of existing and new prospectors to Ballarat and the central Victorian goldfields.
Mr Kent said the prospector's new fortune would be well spent.
“He’s a person that really deserves it.
“He rushed to tell his wife when he found it and she didn’t believe him at first. He is going to pay off a lot of bills and pay off his house - it’s a real life changer.
“We’ve got 800 local prospectors on our records. I cannot remember the last time we saw a nugget of this size.”

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!..............Banner for sure...............If it's Real............I'm Godsmacked.............HH

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
It has got to be phoney... Try holding 12 pounds on your fingertips as the person in the videol did. I would think the hand would stress and shake more; and his fingers would turn red. Just saying...

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang gone man,are you kidding me.That's a huge chunk..AWESOME

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original poster did not find it according to opening post.

FYI....it would not qualify for banner if member here didn't find it while a member.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has got to be phoney... Try holding 12 pounds on your fingertips as the person in the videol did. I would think the hand would stress and shake more; and his fingers would turn red. Just saying...

You forget, he's from "down under". Everyone there can hold 12 lbs in one hand which leaves the other free to hold the "knoif!!!"

"That ain't no knoif, this, is a knoif!" ;)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kinda looks like a hand holding a phone, or a bird on a rock.
Find of a lifetime. :)

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any way you think about it, it makes one want to be out there trying to make a similar discovery. I will bet there are a lot of people looking to hit another target! There is something about that yellow stuff that makes some people get the gold bug! I have had many a sleepless night after hitting some good stuff and "just can't wait" for the next day to go er again!

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread