This is winter isnt it??

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
There's something not right about being 79 degrees F in LA today. Middle of jan and its fire weather. Good for prospecting but good Lord, 80 degrees in jan??? I know after 10 min of shoveling snow I wouldn't be complaining, but I do miss seasons! Strange to take Christmas lights down sweatig your butt off, lol

Upvote 0

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently 84 degrees here in Orange County. Wrightwood is 64 degrees. Great day to go panning though.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RUB IT IN----10 DEGREES AND GETTIN COLDER---HIGH 15 FOR THE WEEK---:BangHead:

ocdozzy

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah no kidding!!!!! It was a shorts type day in the high desert too. I only wish i could have ran some dirt...

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is in the negatives at nights for the next few days here with the highs in the teens.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, California weather has it. Been here for most of my life. I remember a million years ago, when I was in my 20s we'd hit the beach, surf and jet ski in the morning, and be up at Mountain High Ski Lodge by 4 PM to go night skiing. Then we would stop around 10PM and have a few drinks at the lodge and go home and get up and DO IT AGAIN. I went through 3-750 jet ski engines in 4 years. Then I got married.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Yup yup , I used to do that as well. Start at bay st Santa Monica, surf the morning, then we would be line for mountain high, only 2 hours away and snowboard until night and come home. All in a days work... Lol.

Supposed to be hotter next few days here. Not sure if I like this hot windy stuff. Not in jan!

Almost time to Getz to gold mining.. Booyah!

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
Trinity river canyon is in a state of perma frost right now and has been for over two weeks.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
calnatv said:
Trinity river canyon is in a state of perma frost right now and has been for over two weeks.

Never seen permafrost or truly know what it is. Can't be good that's for sure. Assuming its a frozen layer of dirt on top? Stay warm my man, be safe..

Mellow

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup yup , I used to do that as well. Start at bay st Santa Monica, surf the morning, then we would be line for mountain high, only 2 hours away and snowboard until night and come home. All in a days work... Lol.

Supposed to be hotter next few days here. Not sure if I like this hot windy stuff. Not in jan!

Almost time to Getz to gold mining.. Booyah!

All our plants think it's spring, they're starting to sprout and bloom:goldpan:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen permafrost or truly know what it is. Can't be good that's for sure. Assuming its a frozen layer of dirt on top? Stay warm my man, be safe..

Mellow
We're into fifth day of freezing fog in mornings Some in Reno call it pogonip - beautiful but too cold for me. Get well.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011

Mellow
The statement "perma frost" was just an expression or exaggeration if you will. Several areas of the canyon don't see the sun this time of year. We haven't had any rain so it's been cold.As a result, the north side of the canyon hasn't hasn't thawed for about two weeks.
Haven't seen that happen in several years.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaTv-yep trinity a mess man,shasta much better but that flow from them snow piles sure cooled off my hands to numb stumps. But at 76 pm but 20 am makes me start a bit later in the day. BUT nuttn' stops them ^%$#@! claimjumpers as out in full force.John

Attachments

• mining 2013.jpg
    mining 2013.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 101

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There's something not right about being 79 degrees F in LA today. Middle of jan and its fire weather. Good for prospecting but good Lord, 80 degrees in jan??? I know after 10 min of shoveling snow I wouldn't be complaining, but I do miss seasons! Strange to take Christmas lights down sweatig your butt off, lol

Get in the car, head past Pasadena, take the Angel's Crest Hwy. up to Mount Waterman and go skiing. There should be lots of snow, it's only an hour's drive, just watch out for the two chicks in bikinis that are always sunbathing on beach chairs in the parking lot. You'll be freezing in no time and that 80* will feel great when you get home...

GoldHunter24k

Nov 9, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know what this talk is about going surfing in the morning and snowboarding at night but i've got to try this!! Ive never been able to do both of these sports in the same time zone but now that i live in California this sounds amazing!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-12 here today... Yesterday was high of -5 :-(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread