Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: My First outing was a nightmare! Im discouraged I will not lie!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2010
    53 times
    If you have a local club or even one not quite so local, it would be well worth the time to join and go on some outings. You'll get some really good advice and some real hands on experience with people who have been through some of what you experienced. You'll get to see different equipment operate so you can decide which is better for you. Lots of fun and you'll learn a lot quicker.

us
    Dec 2012
    Kernersville, NC
    1 times
    Prospecting
    Always remember that when you are prospecting at a pay to dig site, you will not come out to the positive side unless you get very lucky. If their material had paying amounts of gold present, they would not be selling it. The only way they can make money on the material is by doing what they do. With that being said, I spent my Saturday at The Lucky Strike in Western North Carolina doing the same thing you were doing. Normally I would have been in a private creek, but our water was way to high from all the rain and snow last week.

May 2012
    nevada
    1450 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My advice is to start a detailed diary of your experiences! You just told a very clear and interesting story about pay-to-play. You have a knack for storytelling
    that can be turned into cash (womans point of view). As for the frustration, a year from now this will become a favorite funny story. And you have what it
    takes! I know many people who would have given up after first clean-up (or first five buckets, for that matter!) Go girl

us
    Dec 2005
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Lots of them... :) I have no brand preferences at all..
    132 times
    Behavioral differences
    No matter what I do, I do it to have fun, unless it's a necessity. Metal detecting is a hobby, not a way to make a living. I live in an area that was a gold nugget boom town at one time, near Quartzville, one mile from Whites main metal detector manufacturing plant. I see people so broke that they can't even afford toilet paper, but they still have a dredge, a couple of pans, an old PU truck, and a metal detector. Anybody who buys a $1,000 metal detector to find bottlecaps, pulltabs, pennies, rusty nails, an old coin once in awhile, a smallish nugget now and then, a gold ring every few months, and aluminum foil by the truckloads must have some kind of a mental problem about value judgement of some kind, right? So I guess that includes me too, but that's how it is. We here like the challenge, and most of us are curious as all heck so we keep searching and discovering, and it's not about money either. Heck I drive a BMW and an Alfa Romeo, and I'm digging up trash out of a park and find a tiny piece of gold here and there? So that someone now and then wearing polyester pants and top while driving a beat up old Toyota can call me a scrounge? Most of us do it for the fun, the challenge, and it doesn't really matter whether we make that big find or not, we simply do it because we like to. Larry
    Last edited by LuckyLarry; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
    crystalpayne and boris like this.

Sep 2012
    29 times
    No worries mate, i've been out 3 times and only come back with a few particles of dust.
    As for the carpet cleaning, I go to town on mine, sometimes its just not clean enough!! lol no matter how clean it is.
    Best thing to do is forget it and keep on keepin on.
    Right now for me its just a waiting game. Get some gas get new tires and hit the the rogue river.
    20 minutes in the cold to make you warm.
    crystalpayne and LuckyLarry like this.

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    The piles come from part somewhere on there land I am not sure! I will find out what kind of Highbanker that was and let you know! Lord knows I dont want to buy one like that! Thank you for your encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by pvillehunter View Post
    where is this "Pile" coming from if they are bringing you material it shouldn't matter where you dig in it really.and a clean out of the machine should be all up to you as the fine gold will settle and be under the matt too.. don't give up on hibanking look at how many buckets you ran....if this was a test for you and your plan is to get a powersluice to take to your own gold bearing spots then dont get discouraged by a bad pay to play experience...do ou know thwe name of the banker you were using? and the pump?..i am getting ready to go digging right now but, i can give you very detailed instructions on powersluicing later.....stay Driven!!!

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you, thank you! No I am to hard headed and don't like giving up! I try to be funny, its those moments in life if you don't laugh at your bad situation you would probably cry! I cant wait to read this a year from now! I think I will keep a journal, that is a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    My advice is to start a detailed diary of your experiences! You just told a very clear and interesting story about pay-to-play. You have a knack for storytelling
    that can be turned into cash (womans point of view). As for the frustration, a year from now this will become a favorite funny story. And you have what it
    takes! I know many people who would have given up after first clean-up (or first five buckets, for that matter!) Go girl

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    I agree, completely its about having fun! But I do want to find gold! LOL I want a 10lb nugget dang it! What does a girl have to do to get a 10lb nugget!!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
    No matter what I do, I do it to have fun, unless it's a necessity. Metal detecting is a hobby, not a way to make a living. I live in an area that was a gold nugget boom town at one time, near Quartzville, one mile from Whites main metal detector manufacturing plant. I see people so broke that they can't even afford toilet paper, but they still have a dredge, a couple of pans, an old PU truck, and a metal detector. Anybody who buys a $1,000 metal detector to find bottlecaps, pulltabs, pennies, rusty nails, an old coin once in awhile, a smallish nugget now and then, a gold ring every few months, and aluminum foil by the truckloads must have some kind of a mental problem about value judgement of some kind, right? So I guess that includes me too, but that's how it is. We here like the challenge, and most of us are curious as all heck so we keep searching and discovering, and it's not about money either. Heck I drive a BMW and an Alfa Romeo, and I'm digging up trash out of a park and find a tiny piece of gold here and there? So that someone now and then wearing polyester pants and top while driving a beat up old Toyota can call me a scrounge? Most of us do it for the fun, the challenge, and it doesn't really matter whether we make that big find or not, we simply do it because we like to. Larry

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    I even had a shirt made for myself that had Gold Digger on the back with gold sparkly letters! LOL
    NCguyinTN93 likes this.

us
    Oct 2009
    1901 times
    Yeah, you need to learn how a sluice should be set and run, but this takes time, practice and patience. You should be test panning the pile at the end of the sluice every hour to see if you are losing anything. There is a fine line of adjustment between sluice angle and water flow. Too little and your riffles pack up. Too much and you blow out all the gold. Adjust one at a time, run material and test pan.

Also, it's not a race to see how much material you can run. Run too much and you overload and pack the riffles and your gold rides on out.
    Oakview2 likes this.

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    Right I agree! But u can't adjust anything on these machines they are set, they come and clean them. They kept saying move as much material as u can. But then again some can handle much more then others! Thanks for the advice, where were u at on Saturday when we needed you! Lol

us
    Oct 2011
    penn state
    ace 150, flea market digger
    337 times
    keep at it you will get there happy hunting
    crystalpayne likes this.

us
    relic hunter

Dec 2011
    Cape Cod
    tesoro stingray
    80 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Don't give up, Australia MD man found a 7 lb. nugget wow is Fort Mitchell U.S. Army? Jump School? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120127_110816.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	729297retired 4 years after 40 of MDing and care for grandchildren too! teacher and Social Worker and one year+ in South Korea U.s Army SP/4.
    Last edited by boris; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    It's not a Military base is may have been a long time ago! I am right by Ft Benning ga tho!
    boris and TerryC like this.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1456 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Have you ever been fishing? Or shopping for something special? It's not whether you get/catch something the first few casts, or the first few shopping trips for something hard to find--it's how many times you keep on casting that line back in/keep on hitting the shops until you get what you're looking for. Now, with fishing, you can spend some serious cash on gear, travel, a boat, etc. and never get a nibble on a trip, but the equipment will always be ready for when you finally hit a good location on a good day. It's the same with the gold--a good location, on a good day.

Keep at it, and one day, you'll hit it. Then, the party will begin.

All the best,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .
    midnightmoon and MrLee like this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors