Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: My First outing was a nightmare! Im discouraged I will not lie!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2012
    nc Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    856 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It's definitely not easy, but it makes success sweeter.

It is very hard to wash the fine gold out of the carpet. I rinse, shake, stretch, repeat until it looks clean. When I get home I let it dry for a few days, and then bump and tap it and I'm always amazed at the amount of gold that comes out.

don't give up. gl.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

Sep 2012
    Black Hawk
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalpayne View Post
    I really want to like this place, I do! Its a super cool place, and if I want to do this on my own I would feel safe there if I went without my husband! Being a girl it can get a little scary being alone at a river somewhere and I need to be more careful! One thing we did get out of this is experience is what not to do! Like don't ever touch the mat when water is running or you can loose your gold! We that would have been nice to know prior! UGGGGG But then again we had 2 people telling us 2 different things!
    Just bring a gun. My girlfriend carries a glock .357, she weighs all of 100 pounds but will pretty much go anywhere because of her heavyweight friend she carries in the purse o.o

us
    Oct 2012
    Southern California
    A cheap little Bounty Hunter
    275 times
    Such enthusiasm deserves reward. So here is your reward. You proved your worth. Now to quote an old adage it's better to work smart than hard.
    A good prospector takes samples and test them before committing to digging. So if the same amount of dirt had 10 pieces per bucket would your muscles be less sore, I think not, but you would consider your efforts were redeemed by the gold. Unless I know the area very very well, I always test pan a few samples. So when do I know when to dig? A little flour gold? Maybe. One piece? Not always, but I have. Three pieces? Yes, I dig. One flake of gold? I dig hard, I dig deep, I want to find all the family relatives. Your true reward is your experience, and those are the tools you use to find the gold.
    In all the advancing we can do to improve this world, the sharing of knowledge and wisdom is the most important.
    We stand on the shoulders of giants.
    I am so glad I joined this Message board.
    If I post anything that inspires anyone to do better mining then me, I did my part.
    And If anyone inspires me to try something new, or better, I thank them now.

us
    Sep 2011
    4 times
    Heck, I think you should forget gold and become a writer.
    Seriously! Your story was written wonderfully. Orderly, clear and conlcise. All important parts of the story were a effortless read for us word lovers.
    Unlike my own mumbling and fumbling, you bring a level of skill to this forum that is sometines lacking in thought and polish.
    crystalpayne likes this.

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    Yes, I love to fish!!! I know its going to be like fishing...Minus all the beer consumption! You can fish for days then all it takes is that big ole run and all those days going home empty handed payed off!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny in AB View Post
    Have you ever been fishing? Or shopping for something special? It's not whether you get/catch something the first few casts, or the first few shopping trips for something hard to find--it's how many times you keep on casting that line back in/keep on hitting the shops until you get what you're looking for. Now, with fishing, you can spend some serious cash on gear, travel, a boat, etc. and never get a nibble on a trip, but the equipment will always be ready for when you finally hit a good location on a good day. It's the same with the gold--a good location, on a good day.

Keep at it, and one day, you'll hit it. Then, the party will begin.

All the best,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you so much! I looked back on it and had some spelling errors! In fairness I was a couple of cups of coffee deep and getting worked up over re-living my Saturday!

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1435 times
    Mrs.,
    You and your husband worked hard and in my opinion you had a bum deal. You've been given some very good advice here!! I like the one about keeping a journal about your trips, that will even be great for your family to look back on as well as to log special ideas and thoughts and opinions on areas you've been to. Post lots of pictures in it so you really know what the place looked like, you will have many reasons to look back at those pictures. I played at prospecting for many years, had no clue what I was doing, taught myself to pan (I'm still way to slow at it) but then I purchased a Batpan (batpan.com) and my panning became easier and better. Okay 3 children later now I get to go backpacking at least three times a year as I take the children one at a time and we play, fish and do some panning and lots of exploring. They love it out there but the adult Must stay right with the child as the child is just the right size to become Food for some larger animal!! Bears, mountain lions, even a good sized bobcat and do not forget the snakes.

Okay fast forward to my youngest childs 4th trip so he's now eight years old. We met a couple fellas panning and just snooping around looking for color. They ask my son if he wants to try his hand at it, he does. They set him up with their pan, their tools, their crack in a rock and their sample dirt. He fills the pan they show him how to wet everything down, swirl it around, help him to get it down to just the concentrates and then show him a little trick of how to swirl the water to display what you might have. BINGO Gold! They even gave him a sample bottle to take his gold home in. Nice time.

So more years later and I've added a whites gmt gold metal detector to my gear. I find a boulder next to the river detecting is tough due to lots of rocks around the boulder. So I dig a hole on the down rive side of the boulder and wave the detector over the dug dirt. If the detector zips I work the sample in the gold pan. No zip I do not work the gold. I find some nice nuggets. I go out and purchase a sluice box, Keene A52, bring it back in and now I can work a lot more sample but still I only work the buckets the detector has told me there is gold in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	185_8517.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	729405 This is a picture of the < 1/4 oz. of gold I took from that one spot (the gold is on top of a U.S. 50 cent piece), from the down river side of a boulder off to one side of the river. Lesson: learn how to read a river. There are LOTS of "How Too's" on you tube so watch them, its free. A gold pan, a "classifier" (sifter, sorter) to remove the large pieces from your sample, a shovel and a good strong back are all a person needs but you must shovel dirt that has gold in it. Now that I've some experience (do not misquote me as I did Not say I know how to use my detector) with my detector and I can read a river a little better it is easier for me to locate 'some' gold.

Whatever your method of prospecting they all take time and learning SO it is best if you and yours just enjoy being out there and have fun with the adventure. If you find some gold well all the better! For me I'm always having adventures "out there"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170_7026.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	729420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	188_8852.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	729421 And I usually find gold even if it isn't very much Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191_9174.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	729422

But Then I did say the adventures are worth all the work, effort and cost Click image for larger version. 

Name:	183_8341.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	729423 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180_8078.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	729424

And the more one explores the more one sees Click image for larger version. 

Name:	184_8445_r1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	729425 and there is always camp at night Click image for larger version. 

Name:	183_8326.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	729426

And this is why I suggested taking pictures. You two have fun...........63bkpkr

PS - you may notice that I am in wilderness country. When I'm out there I always take an insurance policy with me as one never knows when they will need an insurance policy. I carry mine under my left arm in a shoulder holster, perfectly legal. I have no desire to shoot any animal even one that has just wrecked my camp but come at me or threaten one of my children and you can count on being dead. I feel it is a good idea for anyone but especially a woman to carry a firearm, revolver or pistol or shotgun, out there IF they take the training and know how to use it and will use it if they need too. That last part is the important one, you must have that mind set or else you have no business out there. IMHO Be safe!
    Last edited by 63bkpkr; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
    TerryC, calisdad, Ace2010 and 1 others like this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1651 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Crystal, GA is not known for its gold recovery. You did good to find some. I don't like the sound of the way they treated you and yours. Sounds like they turned you two into unpaid laborers, moving the overburden for them! That being said, keep at it. TimC and I live in the best gold fields in AZ. We have hosted several "gold adventurers" here at the RV. One went home with almost 2 pennyweight in gold from just 12 buckets! And that is from ground he dug himself... in one day! One fellow has come from Indiana, twice. He is at the RV as I write this. Four (or five) others are coming in February. They all go home with gold. Gauranteed! All on the Tnet are invited, as you and yours are. Coming out to AZ just to dig around in dirt is quite an expense. If you are coming out this way for a vacation (California, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon) stop by for a day or two. Cost free. I am not always there but Tim does good as a host. We are members of local clubs, LDMA (GPAA) and have our own claims. You will not be hurting for good places to find gold. Second choice.... order some "paydirt" from somebody like "Kuger" (on this net) or other reputable dealer(s). That way you know the gold is there. And use it to PRACTICE over and over (into a tub to keep from losing the gold) again until you are recovering all of the color. Keep reading the relevent forums here to pick up a feel for what you expect from this great pasttime. I know i'm being redundant but don't give up! You are doing fine. (Now I need a break til the blisters on my two typing fingers subside!) Terry
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Sep 2010
    Groveland, CA
    351 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalpayne View Post
    Yes, I love to fish!!! I know its going to be like fishing...Minus all the beer consumption! You can fish for days then all it takes is that big ole run and all those days going home empty handed payed off!
    If you just said you can't drink beer while you prospect I think we might have found the problem.
    Phanntom, Fullpan and TerryC like this.

May 2012
    nevada
    1479 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    Crystal, GA is not known for its gold recovery. You did good to find some. I don't like the sound of the way they treated you and yours. Sounds like they turned you two into unpaid laborers, moving the overburden for them! That being said, keep at it. TimC and I live in the best gold fields in AZ. We have hosted several "gold adventurers" here at the RV. One went home with almost 2 pennyweight in gold from just 12 buckets! And that is from ground he dug himself... in one day! One fellow has come from Indiana, twice. He is at the RV as I write this. Four (or five) others are coming in February. They all go home with gold. Gauranteed! All on the Tnet are invited, as you and yours are. Coming out to AZ just to dig around in dirt is quite an expense. If you are coming out this way for a vacation (California, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon) stop by for a day or two. Cost free. I am not always there but Tim does good as a host. We are members of local clubs, LDMA (GPAA) and have our own claims. You will not be hurting for good places to find gold. Second choice.... order some "paydirt" from somebody like "Kuger" (on this net) or other reputable dealer(s). That way you know the gold is there. And use it to PRACTICE over and over (into a tub to keep from losing the gold) again until you are recovering all of the color. Keep reading the relevent forums here to pick up a feel for what you expect from this great pasttime. I know i'm being redundant but don't give up! You are doing fine. (Now I need a break til the blisters on my two typing fingers subside!) Terry
    Hey TerryC - where'd you learn to use TWO fingers?
    calisdad and TerryC like this.

us
    Crystal Payne

Jan 2013
    Fort Mitchell
    53 times
    Prospecting
    See the problem is I have a hard time putting down the can! Lets face it, I am a Dallas Cowboy fan and after this season my liver needs a break!

us
    Jan 2013
    Alta, California
    Whites GMT, Vsat, MXT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPxtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000
    427 times
    They saw you coming & the gold stayed in the carpet. But now the next time you go out, you will know what to tell them about their set ups. Watch the videos in this playlist below & you will learn everything needed to highbank right next time. Then ALWAYS sample the pile with a gold pan first. If there's no gold in the pile then don't shovel anything from it. His line "You should have dug at the bottom" & so on was bs...
    Power Sluicing With Different Models - YouTube
    crystalpayne likes this.

us
    Feb 2008
    N. Calif
    Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
    47 times
    Hang in there Crystal, you are "paying your dues". Learn something each time you go out and Sample, Sample, and Sample some more. After a while you will figure out where the pay layer is in your area.

Have fun
    Steve
    Goodyguy and crystalpayne like this.

us
    Bazooka Goldtrap enthusiast

Jan 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Sluices: Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluice (retired!), Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, occasional gold cube
    2022 times
    Prospecting
    An outing with a local(ish) club would be a good next step...before you buy anything more than pans. That way you can see what gear local folks use, learn to use it and ask lots of questions...and hopefully see some decent gold too!

Your enthusiasm and work ethic will take you far in this hobby and in the world too! You sound like someone I would love to prospect next to!

Mine it and recycle it!
    crystalpayne and Goodyguy like this.
    ...it is too about havin' the gold!

Dec 2012
    7 times
    H! Crystal
    I live in central California near the "Mother Load" not in it but not more than 30 minutes from there. My biggest problem is access. I bought a 4 inch Keene dredge for my retirement hobby. $4,300.00 sitting in my garage can't be used in California any time soon. Been sitting there about three years set up for two divers. Just to show you, you are not alone. As a young man I use to always want to prospect and I was able to find where there is a lot of gold. Now that my kids are all grown and gone I wanted to do what I wanted to. Then the cr@p hit the fan with the dredging. I now just was able to buy a metal detector. A "White's GMT Metal Detector" next will be a Hot Foot Coil for that, then down the road a "Whites V3i metal Detector". I have even tried to buy some land here that I know gold is on so I could have access. That is still on my to do list and I'm now 68 yrs of age. I really want to leave it to my kids that still don't even an idea how to make a good living. I want them to have something. Rivers here are pretty much full of gold. most of it looks like course black pepper or coarse sand with small nuggets here and there. most of the cracks that run across the river beds trap the gold. Behind huge pieces of bed rock or boulders there is also gold trapped there. The inside of the bends of the rivers where the water flow slows and where the rivers widen out and slow the gold is too heavy for the water to move it so it settles down as far as it can go below the sand and rocks. With a simple sluice box you will need to more stay to the dry areas and clean out cracks and behind obstacles. That means clean as far as you can. You can also do that here in the desert areas. Don't go alone or unprotected into the wilderness. Take snake bite kits, first aid kits small large dogs that will stay near you and not wander off and a gun. Not to scare you but you should know and never forget that when ever you and your family venture out into the wilderness you need to take some sort of fire arm and bear spray. We are in their world there and we are also on the food chain below that of mountain lions and bears. go with a group such as a gold prospectors club. I belong to one and we have outings every month and we also have our own claims. You also need to get on the internet and research where the gold is in your part of the country. There is gold every where here, it's just being able to get to it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors