gold around Asheville, NC

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to be in Asheville, NC the first week in march. My wife will be in classes Sat-Mon so I am looking for some areas that I can do a little prospecting. Many thanks to anyone who can led me to some good areas. Will be using pan & sluice box

There are many creeks in the area that will contain gold, becareful where you use a sluice as there are places where they are illegal,,,just be sure to study up on where and how and you'll have a good time..

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buncombe County North Carolina

Placer gold is reported in Cane Creek and the French Broad River.

There are several "Pay to Play" places in Franklin, NC. Rubies & Gold.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
nuggethunter,

If you go east on I-40 to exit #85 and take st rt 221 south, there are several mining areas...Lucky Strike and Thermal City to name a few. You can pan for $5 a day at Lucky Strike and keep all you find. These are in McDowell County
Gold Prospecting and Mining at The Lucky Strike Mine, North Carolina .

The Second Broad River and Muddy Creek contain gold in this area.

If you are a member of the LDMA, they have a site in the area as well off Vein Mountain Road Vein Mountain

I have a log home just 3 miles from these sights. If you want some company if you decide to try these areas, give me a call.
513-262-2664
Bill

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Just a fyi Thermal City is closed till March 15. Lucky Strike and Vein Mtn Gold Camp are both still open though.

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
nuggethunter,

If you go east on I-40 to exit #85 and take st rt 221 south, there are several mining areas...Lucky Strike and Thermal City to name a few. You can pan for $5 a day at Lucky Strike and keep all you find. These are in McDowell County
Gold Prospecting and Mining at The Lucky Strike Mine, North Carolina .

The Second Broad River and Muddy Creek contain gold in this area.

If you are a member of the LDMA, they have a site in the area as well off Vein Mountain Road Vein Mountain

I have a log home just 3 miles from these sights. If you want some company if you decide to try these areas, give me a call.
513-262-2664
Bill

Now that is what it's all about! Bill, you are not only a great American, you are good people! Prospectors helping others! That is one of the greatest benefits of this hobby, all the helpful, friendly people you meet! I get thru that area occasionally too, but piggybacking new semi trucks prevents me from getting off I-40. I do carry a pan and a backpacker MacKirk sluice in my carry-on bag and once found a microscopic flake sitting around in our dispatch yard in Mt Holly! Props to you Bill for your generosity and southern hospitality!

Built_in_USA

Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mt Holly New Jersey? My brother found a tiny picker in our backyard in Tabernacle

Skyanchor

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of thermal city or lucky strike mines, I have the same question, which is better for me to high bank and my wife to sit by a stream and read a book? Also I live in lumberton, NJ, near Mt Holly, and we are coming down to a house we have in Sevierville, Tn at the end of march. I really would like to prospect in a private area but know no one with such land in the NC, TN area so thought one of the two mentioned mines would work for me as the only choice I know of. Ideas?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread