Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By NuggetN8
  • 4 Post By NuggetN8

Thread: Old mud??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting

Old mud??

Today I was exploring a new area to prospect at. All that I brought with me was my viewer for sniping and my sniffer bottle. I lifted up a rock in the middle of the creek and looked in there with my viewer and saw about 10 pieces of gold just sticking up out of the mud. I've never really seen anything like it before. The mud was really hard and I didn't have the tools to work the area so I'm going back there tomorrow =]

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5275 times
    Prospecting
    Could be fun! Keep us updated, and if you can, take a picture or two. Flakes and pickers will often work their way under larger rocks; however, if you're lucky enough to find a piece of hardpan that's been undisturbed for a very long time, you may find a nugget or two as well. How big were the pieces of gold (flakes or pickers)?

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2641151427.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	474.9 KB 
ID:	732235

Here's a pic of the gold I found I got some of it behind a big boulder. There wasn't any material behind it the gold was just sitting on the bedrock! I'm pretty excited to get back to it tomorrow! I'll take my underwater camera with me maybe get some pics while I'm sniping.

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1717574416.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	843.5 KB 
ID:	732505

Ok so I went back to that spot and dug to bedrock it was about a foot down to it. I was sniping around in the same area too. My total for the 3 hours I was there weighed in at 2.7 grams not too bad =]
    uklfester, kuger, Oakview2 and 1 others like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    I'm going to keep going to this area and ill post a pic of my totals each day. The first time I went there I got 1/4 an ounce in a small area.. Wish I would have kept it in the pan to take a picture.. I think the old miners missed a spot xD

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2759 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    doesnt have to be that they missed a spot......trust me,if it was a spot they missed there would be more and bigger pieces there than that.What likely is going on is a some near or upstream is "feeding",areas with higher bench deposits is great for this.I have a few spots down from hydraulic sites that have produced many ounces .....same cracks that I have cleaned out a few years before
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5275 times
    Prospecting
    Nicely done--love the pictures--great looking gold! Hope you find lots more.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kuger
    doesnt have to be that they missed a spot......trust me,if it was a spot they missed there would be more and bigger pieces there than that.What likely is going on is a some near or upstream is "feeding",areas with higher bench deposits is great for this.I have a few spots down from hydraulic sites that have produced many ounces .....same cracks that I have cleaned out a few years before
    Ok well I guess nobody has dug there since the miners did because at this creek it doesn't replenish itself very well from what I've seen. I cleaned out some areas years ago and came back to them and there was only a few specks of flour gold. Do you think the best place to look for something the miners "missed" would be up out of the creek on the sides? I haven't done too much at this spot yet just sniping and digging in the creek. The bedrock is really soft like its almost clay in most areas.

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    I guess I'm over thinking this a little bit. Gold is where you find it...

us
    Coil Swinger

Jan 2011
    El Dorado County
    Minelab
    659 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Hello Nate,

Nice looking gold no matter where it came from and as long as your getting it keep at it, way to go!!
    Will work for gold dust.

Dec 2012
    on the rocks - so cal county line
    Gold bug pro / Whites coin master II
    489 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    keep on it , it looks real good

us
    Mar 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Gold Bug 2
    182 times
    Prospecting
    Nice gold! Glad you got out there before I got there.

Sponsored Links