Old mud??

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today I was exploring a new area to prospect at. All that I brought with me was my viewer for sniping and my sniffer bottle. I lifted up a rock in the middle of the creek and looked in there with my viewer and saw about 10 pieces of gold just sticking up out of the mud. I've never really seen anything like it before. The mud was really hard and I didn't have the tools to work the area so I'm going back there tomorrow =]

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be fun! Keep us updated, and if you can, take a picture or two. Flakes and pickers will often work their way under larger rocks; however, if you're lucky enough to find a piece of hardpan that's been undisturbed for a very long time, you may find a nugget or two as well. How big were the pieces of gold (flakes or pickers)?

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-2641151427.jpg

Here's a pic of the gold I found I got some of it behind a big boulder. There wasn't any material behind it the gold was just sitting on the bedrock! I'm pretty excited to get back to it tomorrow! I'll take my underwater camera with me maybe get some pics while I'm sniping.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-1717574416.jpg

Ok so I went back to that spot and dug to bedrock it was about a foot down to it. I was sniping around in the same area too. My total for the 3 hours I was there weighed in at 2.7 grams not too bad =]

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to keep going to this area and ill post a pic of my totals each day. The first time I went there I got 1/4 an ounce in a small area.. Wish I would have kept it in the pan to take a picture.. I think the old miners missed a spot xD

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesnt have to be that they missed a spot......trust me,if it was a spot they missed there would be more and bigger pieces there than that.What likely is going on is a some near or upstream is "feeding",areas with higher bench deposits is great for this.I have a few spots down from hydraulic sites that have produced many ounces .....same cracks that I have cleaned out a few years before

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done--love the pictures--great looking gold! Hope you find lots more.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
kuger said:
doesnt have to be that they missed a spot......trust me,if it was a spot they missed there would be more and bigger pieces there than that.What likely is going on is a some near or upstream is "feeding",areas with higher bench deposits is great for this.I have a few spots down from hydraulic sites that have produced many ounces .....same cracks that I have cleaned out a few years before

Ok well I guess nobody has dug there since the miners did because at this creek it doesn't replenish itself very well from what I've seen. I cleaned out some areas years ago and came back to them and there was only a few specks of flour gold. Do you think the best place to look for something the miners "missed" would be up out of the creek on the sides? I haven't done too much at this spot yet just sniping and digging in the creek. The bedrock is really soft like its almost clay in most areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread