TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL HERES ONE FOR YOU!

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL HERE'S ONE FOR YOU!

This one is a hard one for all the true PROFESSIONAL is this specimen,

A: Chalcopyrite ??
B: Iron pyrite ??
C: Gold ??
D: Mica ??
E: Hematite ??
Or
F: All of the above ??

And why did you come to this conclusion?

Answer:

Hint: Weight of specimen = 84.25 grams and it has the measurements of 2" 3/4 L - 2" 1/4 W

Good Luck!
Thanks!

IMG_20130208_162320.jpg

Upvote 1

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I'll go with F, just to see what I could have won Johnny! :occasion14:

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Well I'm not a professional miner, but I can pick a letter and I can follow a trend and Terry says F. I say F.
And in my actual profession I can't tell you how many times I've been told to go F. Myself .
Prize please !!
OBD

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That thar is Gold fellers! Or is it and F? Oh F, I dunno.....

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
r4 - how about YOU being a professional - show at least three more photos with different angles and lighting?:coffee2:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A is my pick. Kind a reverse reason. Chalcopyrite (copper/iron sulfied) is brassy yellow but many times has green somewhere. A for me. TTC

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A is my pick. Kind a reverse reason. Chalcopyrite (copper/iron sulfied) is brassy yellow but many times has green somewhere. A for me. TTC
I was thinking the same thing, Terry, but that lack of blue/green bothers me. I'm leaning more towards pyrite.
Jim

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the same golden colored material coating the underside of specimen? The color look the same when rotated? Lacking this info, you are just asking us
to guess. Then you will give us hints about formulas for specific gravity tests. MOM! - he's not playing fair! MOM? I guess with TerryC A-Chalcopyrite:unhappysmiley: It was fun anyway.

Last edited:

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its one of the pyrites. I say that because of the way it is fractured.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
,,,Drum rolling...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
r4real..... let's have it. TTC

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I cry foul! :icon_scratch: Based on your measurements, assuming the same for the width for depth, there appears to be about 228 cu cm there. With a weight of 84.25 grams, that's about .37 gm/cu cm. Water has a density of 1gm/cu cm and silicon dioxide is around 2.8gm/cu cm (looks like quartz to me). Unless you are telling us that you have calculated the weight of the gold lookin stuff at 84.25 gms. Still wouldn't have enough information.
Zooming on the photo, i see what appears to be layering, which i suppose could be imprint from the surrounding matrix rock, and I am not seeing any signs of copper, however I am voting for A, absent the missing information.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably primarily chalcopyrite, but there is a good chance there is some gold inside the chalcopyrite. Just dig out your scanning electron microscope and let us know.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm assuming the weight is for whole specimen and not that he's saying that pyrite or gold weight. Foul! Lol. I'm no pro but I'll go with what some others said A. Unless you'd like the coverall of F. Seeing as how there's multiple types of layers/minerals.

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to go with answer "A" but then felt like a Sheeple, so I am going to go the more "general person" answer and say "C", it is Gold.... If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it must be a duck....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread