New guy here, Thought Id show you all my trommel I recently built

oldmanjeffers

Feb 8, 2013
Somerset, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
New guy here, Thought I'd show you all my trommel I recently built

I've already introduced myself in the new members area and thought I would show my trommel here with some details, I am very new at all this and am welcoming any input. I will be firing this thing up tomorrow and putting it through it's paces. I hope to be able to record my adventures here and bounce any ideas, problems and experiences off you all.

Here is link to a video of my double barrel trommel being test ran in the garage, I'll post some video of it in action ASAP.

[video]http://s1097.beta.photobucket.com/user/oldmanjeffers/media/photobucket-9303-1360211632434_zps9db67c9e.mp4.html[/video]

I used two old oxygen bottles , a 2.5 HP motor and a Borg-Warner 45:1 gear reduction, My screen is 3/8 mild steel and I have 1/4 X 1" flat bar on edge in the barrels to help break things up. I am using 3/4 black pipe all the way around the hopper and for the inside spry bars so it will take a beating, Some day I plan on feeding this with a mini excavator. I want the ability to control the water flow under the barrels feeding the sluice box's so I installed three gate valves. The trommel pan is placed in a compound angle so all the classified material will flow to a 2" hole that then will drop into two sluice boxes mounted back to back. I will be using a 2" trash pump to feed the water to the machine. All the water can be regulated via gate valves, and a ball valve, I can also control the RPM's of the trommel barrels by adjusting the idle of the motor or if we get into some real bad clay I have a smaller pulley and belt ready for the gear reduction to slow things down a bit.

In theory this thing should be able to digest 10 yards a day... We shall see! LOL

Upvote 0

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good! I'm impressed. Can't wait to see the gold you get with it.
It shows alot of talent. Would you share the ballpark of the material cost?
Was the Borg-Warner transmission used or new?
My hat's of to you Sir.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job... I plan on building one soon...started to a couple of weeks ago and got side tracked on a highbanker build...

Bandit Gold

Mar 8, 2013
Boise, Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Trommel builders. I have been mining for some time. I am taking a pretty big step and building a very large trommel. I am still early in the design phases, but does anyone have a rule of thumb on the typical slope setting for a trommel? I will be mounting on a fairly large trailer. The drum will be about 22" in diameter and about 8' long. I have everything done to adjust the rotation from a creep up to about 40 rpm. But, I am trying to be smart about slope. For a variety of reasons, I plan to level my trommel trailer at the mine site, then I want to adjust the trommel slope. Obviously I start from 0 slope and go from there. A slope of less than 6 degrees is pretty easy for me, but peyond that, I would have to make some modifications. This modifications are easy now if I might need more than 6 degrees, but much harder later one if I want more. I will be welding......I do not want to un-weld :)

donb0078

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
atm, whites sl II classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! one of the design features I saw in gold rush "Hoffman crew trommel" had a piece offlat stock twisted around the inside of the shell that corkscrewed backward forcing heavier material from the bottom back up to the screen idk how well that would work seems it might make gravel rotate against itself more only thing is they had it spot welded and the silicone they used between the welds came loose...I'm not experienced on them myself but it made me think it would work. idk maybe it would give you more varience on your degrees and allow for better control...heck of a machine you built, best of luck :) hope my 3in suction dredge comes out that nice hoping to make it semi portable. haul it to location then wheel it from wherever, still thinking about that obviously mud/banks and brakes would be an issue...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions