Gold in Sacramento? - Page 10
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Gold in Sacramento?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12787 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmetal View Post
    * Bump *

Great Sacramento area thread.

Quick question - I need to access some tailing piles from the dragline dredges around Folsom/Aerojet/Rancho Cordova areas. I don't want to metal detect - I just want to collect black sand cons from the tailing sites.

Can anyone with access to tailings, or, who owns some property with tailings help me out? I am an industrial designer and want to test some prototypes I'm developing.

Thanks!

Peace and health,
    James
    Its all private. just go to the river nearby at one of the parks. Black sand is from the same source.
    russau likes this.

us
    Dave

Oct 2018
    Coffeyville, KS
    Minelab XTerra 705 Fisher F44
    244 times
    Prospecting
    Ahhh yes - Sacramento County, where I first learned to pan. I lived in Fair Oaks from 1962 to 1972, (in Rancho Cardova 59-62) when most of the area was still "wild and wooly". My father worked for Douglas, and was deeply involved with the Apollo S-IVB testing done at the Sacto plant. I remember the old dredge that sat for years just off south Sunrise Ave (when Sunrise dead-ended at Douglas Rd. We lived next to a sheep ranch when we first moved to Fair Oaks, and a year or so later, the ranch was developed into a housing development. Between Fair Oaks and Orangevale, on Madison Ave, there was a lot of open land, and a we had the "goat man" who herded a large herd of goats in the open, undeveloped land between Madison and Sunset Aves. I get sad when I look at Google satellite photos and see how it is all built up. I lived on Illinois Ave, just off Sunset, and Illinois Ave. dead-ended at the American River at Sailor Bar. Piles and piles of dredge tailings, and the river had some pretty steep banks in some areas. It was about a mile from my house, and a short bike ride for me whenever I was out of school. I pretty much "owned" (in my mind) all the north side of the riverbank between Sailor Bar and Nimbus Dam. I worked the area for a couple of years, and found some color - just enough to keep me interested. In the two years I spent digging in that area, I "might" have accumulated a 1/2 ozt. I didn't find a glory hole there...but the north fork of the American up near Foresthill is a different story... I'm told that the Sailor Bar area is all county- or city-owned parkland, walking/bike trails, so likely nothing allowed other than "hands and pan", if even that.
    Last edited by DaveVanP; Sep 14, 2020 at 08:32 AM.
    Reed Lukens likes this.
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to put in his mouth." - e. e. cummings

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4794 times
    Dave your memories of that time and your prospecting work is your "treasure" forever !

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Sponsored Links