Anyone using the new 2013 Gold Hog Mat //// What is working combination

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Pueblo CO and Pensacola FL
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD coils and coil covers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to build a sluice for Colorado and need some feed back on Gold Hog Mat.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Flair that runs into sluice.
First foot or so of sluice i was going to leave bare.
Then i wanted to use a 1 foot of Gold Hog Scrubber Mat.
After that i was thinking of 3 feet of Razor back then a foot of something like UR Mat at the end.???
OH and where can i slip in some of that New 2013 Mat.

I need to know how to not glue it down permanent so that i can swap out different mat combinations.:icon_scratch:

Anyone that has comments please do.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Inch strip of wood on both sides going the length of the sluice. Use clamps to keep the wood locked in place.

Maybe not the prettiest but I've seen a few people do it that way.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or drill holes into the center of each section and keep each mat in place with a bolt and a wingnut.

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doc has some good vidieos on how to install the mat. His vids are great info on his product, is he a salesman? Yup but entertaining.LOL

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I watched video's and also the one with legs.:icon_thumleft:
Read his free book two times.:icon_thumleft:
Will use his Razorback and scrubber mat.:icon_thumleft:

Now i need to know how wide and long i should make it.:dontknow:
9 -14 inches wide and 4 to 7 feet long.
Arkansas is i big river not a stream.
Seams industry standard is 10 inches x 4 foot around other parts of the country.

Well lets shoot for 10 x 5 with 1 foot bare to dump material on and one foot scrubber and 3 foot Razorback.
And then make a 1 foot removable extension for an 1/8 screen bottom to be used as a highbanker over Gold Cube once and a while.

Last edited:

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My thoughts, Buy a Keene A52. It already has a flair(slick plate for dumping on) removeable and you can use the bolt holes for the Gold Hog mat hold down.You can remove the riffles and carpet. Use whatever Mat you want. But still go back to it. Also buy the stand for it. Now you have the makings of a highbanker. Get or make a hopper for the A52. Some come with a dredge adapter. Now you have a combo unit and can use whatever mat or riffle set up your heart desires. Just add a pump,hoses and nozzle as your money allows. Best of all in 10 min. You can converet back to a good river sluice. But is was just thinking out load. No wait, that just what I did!! Come on SPRING, I'm ready for ya.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is what i ordered in Gold Hog Mat:
3 sections of there Scrubber and 5 sections of RazorBack an 1 of the UR Mat.

I am having .063 aluminum sheet fabricated up now to make 3 sluice's.
I making three Sluice's for me and 2 friend's.
One guy is new like me and another is an older prospector that has been helping me.
Older prospector is doing his own thing, Gold Hog mat configuration.
My friend is going to trail behind when we have the Gold Hog mat setup figured out.
I am using a combo or all three Gold Hog UR/Scrubber/Razorback.

I will have 3 main sluice sections made 4'6" long with 3 additional 4' Extensions.
Then there is 2 more 1" Extensions that have bottom of just screen to drop into the Gold Cube when high banking.
Also made up an extension of a larger classifier 20" x 3'.

Cost nder 300.00 for mat, will still need a little bit more.
Under 100.00 for aluminum all fabed up from friend that has a business that owes him a favor.

My one friend does have two other sluice's that are not being used, we could of used them, one is a new wolf and it is new.
But i decided to just make up what we need to have now for where we are going and for what we are going to need.
Old prospector had a lot of knowledge and with what i learned over the last month is amazing.
I am excited and going to run my Gold Cube and Blue Bowl today.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Headed to Lynx Creek Arizona in April and i couldn't resist trying the RazorBack Mat myself. Waiting for mine to come in the mail. Was very impressed with what Doc had to say about creating different pressure zones and exchanging materials. On my last trip to Rose Creek i was totally frustrated because my sluice kept filling up with black sand and lighter materials. Never found anything in the riffles. The only gold i got was caught on the indicator mat at the very beginning of the sluice box where i was dumping the classified paydirt. The rest was "FlatBoarding" straight out the end of the sluice. I ended up spending hours having to pan the safety container at the end of the sluice wondering (What the hell am i running this stuff through a sluice box for if i gotta pan it to get what i missed). I plan on building my own sluice box outta wood. As near as i can tell, it's more about the mats and pressure zones than it is about precise flow rates and fancy expensive aluminum commerial made sluice boxes. I'll let you know how i do this season.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The fancy aluminum channel can be bent at any one of thousands of shops that have a tool called a break.
Any sheet metal shop would be cheep.
My mat should be here wed.
You need to run 25 percent scrubber and 75 percent razor is what Doc recomends.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Post an update when you find out how it worked please.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is what i am told to start with.

Maybe this info will help you guys too.

It really pays to watch Doc's video's too.
They have unbelievably great customer service, I made mistake's on ordering and on shipping, They took care if it all.
E-mail questions were all answered very very well.

You'll have to play with the flow rate. Best guess is about 200 - 300 GPH per inch.
If you see air pockets behind scrubber, increase water volume / depth. If you have see "rooster tailing" behind your scrubber, you need water a bit deeper.*
Hard to explain. Once you see it you'll understand.*
So TALLER water will stop that.

My mat will be here maybe tomorrow.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
When i watched the video's on this website i was surprised too. Nearly everything i was doing setting up the sluice was WRONG. And i've been panning for four years in five states. Sounds like alot of experience, but that doesn't reflect how much time i spend on travel, prospecting the site and digging. Just living in a remote area involves hours of hauling in supplies, not to mention all the camp chores. So even a seasoned prospector can be a little "light in the pants" when it comes to the technical issues of setting up a sluice. Apparantly the fear of losing gold was causing me to "Lose Gold". I was running shallow and slow. Unnecessarily doing way too much classifying and clogging the sluice. Classifying less and increasing the flow rate didn't help (for reasons that are apparant on the video).
Anyone who is serious about gold prospecting needs to see EVERYTHING on this web site. Every article and every video. Doc appears to be genuinely concerned about helping prospectors to be successful. Everything he's saying sounds correct and matches up with my personal experience and difficulties. Which is why i've ordered his mats.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well don't feel bad it only took me 12 hours yesterday to try and learn how to use blue bowl and 4 hours today.
That is what is good with this forum, share what you know. Lucky for me i hooked up with a guy that has been around for awhile and has shared his knowledge with me.

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to goldhog.com Doc has a video that will show you how to install the mat. It's pretty cool and easy to remove for your clean out. No gluing to your sluice. I wrote this message before I read all the way through it. Sounds like we are all looking to try some new equipment. I'm ordering my new mat on monday :laughing7: Docs videos has a lot of info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is good.
I watched a lot of the other video's he has also on youtube.
There is some on how to read a stream i really liked.

Brandx

Oct 23, 2012
Box Elder County
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to try out my new razorback mat this past weekend and it worked out great. The big thing with the mat is to have the water moving fast enough so the exchange works rite. I had to increase my pitch with mine to work rite. I'm just using an electric 2000 gph pump on mine. I reran some cons I had already gone through and to my surprise I had missed some gold and the mat grabbed it :icon_thumright:.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We installed the new gold hog matting yesterday. We installed it into the Highbanker and ran all of the concentrates we had and everything else we had left over from all of our trips. We set it up with a letrap sluice below it and put the material through just as fast as we could. After running everything through and panning it out there were only two flakes of micron gold in the entire letrap. Out of the letrap was about a half a pan of black sands and out of the gold hog matting was maybe five or six table spoon fulls of black sands and maybe one tablespoon of light gravel less than 1/4 inch . We set up our matting with one piece of UR mat, three Razorback, and two more UR. Each are six inches in length and were pretty easy to put together after watching the video on the website. I'm sold. If I'm not running in heavy gravel I will be running the matting and I will be making a mat that is meant for heavy gravel. Just my two cents and a minor review. Cost for two thirty six inch lengths of mat to be cut into six ten inch sections...... $90. easy cleanup and peace of mind for gold recovery, priceless.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys are getting me excited.
I worked on all my aluminum parts and piece's yesterday all day.
Takes a long time to custom fab up all the stuff for 3 sluice's with accesories.
and also some sand dredge nozzle's.
I also build my own because i can never find what i want.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys are getting me excited.
I worked on all my aluminum parts and piece's yesterday all day.
Takes a long time to custom fab up all the stuff for 3 sluice's with accesories.
and also some sand dredge nozzle's.
I also build my own because i can never find what i want.
DRY LAND NOZZLE.... 20130405_202250.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread