goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hummm 63 views and no replies. Well that can mean only one thing I guess. We've got this corner of the state all to ourselves!!!!

Daugela

Jul 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White MTX, VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hummm 63 views and no replies. Well that can mean only one thing I guess. We've got this corner of the state all to ourselves!!!!

Bisbee is a great area. I'm from Phoenix but did some work in the Douglas/Bisbee area lately. Totally cool place - Bisbee. Would love to detect it but I'm sure it's crazy littered with iron and junk....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Irish, There is a ROADSIDE GEOLOGY series that you might want to look into. I have the Roadside Geology of AZ, among others. They are good because you can drive to certain areas and read what you are looking at. It is hard NOT to learn geology while prospecting because there is a certain amount of geology that automatically goes hand in hand with prospecting. TTC

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
Yeah it was 90 today. But I wad poolside all day, with some freshies in the cooler next to me. That's what I needed after a good strenuous hike in the morning. I saw rock that I've never seen before it was prettt cool. A lot of red with quartz and greens and blue. It was really amazing how much different the geology is here in arizona.even compared to the deserts of Washington.

00zabo

Mar 15, 2013
az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in Tucson but I get down there often. Crazy geology around there. Mtns north of Douglas and the dragoons are good for panning. Hope this helps..... 00zabo...

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Terry: I signed up for the on-line geology course you had the link to so maybe that will help. The roadside thing sounds interesting as well and I'll look into it.

Daugela: I lived in Bisbee for a bit when I first moved back out west from Georgia. It's cool and there are some real characters in that little town. The mine there takes up so much space though that I couldn't live there for the long term. I moved about 35 miles east from Bisbee and am loving it.

KK: Maybe we should start talking and perhaps figure out a get-together for sometime in the future. I've got an adopted sister that lives in S.V. It was going out to visit that introduced me to this part of AZ and so I moved here instead of back to California.

FabSpec: LOL Now you know why I moved to THIS part of AZ!!!! I know how hot it gets in Yuma in the summer. At least it's a lot cooler here at 4,600 ft elevation. We even get (dare I say it?) SNOW!!!! Something that hasn't ever been seen in Yuma to the best of my memory. Was only in the mid 80s here today and was a beautiful day for doing some panning.

BigJoe: It's that different geology that has been making me scratch my head since I decided to get back into prospecting. I know there's tons of copper in this area as well as other minerals that can and are mined. We've got a gypsum mine a couple miles down the road from us as well as the Copper Queen Mine over in Bisbee. (Three guesses what they mine there) A couple of days ago I hiked up the hill behind the house to try to get a better visual of the wash that runs through our property. Feeders, major bends etc etc etc and while I was up near the top of the hill I found an interesting rock. Jet black with tons of blue crystals embedded into it. Took a sample to see if I can come up with an I.D. on it. We also have outcroppings of Hemiphorite crystals all over the property, red lava, black lava, quartz veins and tons of calechi. Also while on the hike I could see well into Mexico as well as into New Mexico.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry: I signed up for the on-line geology course you had the link to so maybe that will help. The roadside thing sounds interesting as well and I'll look into it.

Daugela: I lived in Bisbee for a bit when I first moved back out west from Georgia. It's cool and there are some real characters in that little town. The mine there takes up so much space though that I couldn't live there for the long term. I moved about 35 miles east from Bisbee and am loving it.

KK: Maybe we should start talking and perhaps figure out a get-together for sometime in the future. I've got an adopted sister that lives in S.V. It was going out to visit that introduced me to this part of AZ and so I moved here instead of back to California.

FabSpec: LOL Now you know why I moved to THIS part of AZ!!!! I know how hot it gets in Yuma in the summer. At least it's a lot cooler here at 4,600 ft elevation. We even get (dare I say it?) SNOW!!!! Something that hasn't ever been seen in Yuma to the best of my memory. Was only in the mid 80s here today and was a beautiful day for doing some panning.

BigJoe: It's that different geology that has been making me scratch my head since I decided to get back into prospecting. I know there's tons of copper in this area as well as other minerals that can and are mined. We've got a gypsum mine a couple miles down the road from us as well as the Copper Queen Mine over in Bisbee. (Three guesses what they mine there) A couple of days ago I hiked up the hill behind the house to try to get a better visual of the wash that runs through our property. Feeders, major bends etc etc etc and while I was up near the top of the hill I found an interesting rock. Jet black with tons of blue crystals embedded into it. Took a sample to see if I can come up with an I.D. on it. We also have outcroppings of Hemiphorite crystals all over the property, red lava, black lava, quartz veins and tons of calechi. Also while on the hike I could see well into Mexico as well as into New Mexico.
"jet black with tons of blue crystals" - try looking up Labradorite as it is known to occur as iridescent blue crystals in lava.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
"jet black with tons of blue crystals" - try looking up Labradorite as it is known to occur as iridescent blue crystals in lava.

It's not Labradorite. The base material isn't lava and the crystals are more Turquoise looking.

Daugela: I'm 15 miles east of Douglas. Ten Miles north of the border on the western edge of the San Bernadino Valley. If you look up College Peak on Google Earth we're on the east slope right between north and south peak. Our land butts up to the state land that makes up the north peak. BTW... What's the guitar in your avatar? Nice looking acoustic. I play a 12 string myself.

Jeff

Daugela

Jul 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White MTX, VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not Labradorite. The base material isn't lava and the crystals are more Turquoise looking.

Daugela: I'm 15 miles east of Douglas. Ten Miles north of the border on the western edge of the San Bernadino Valley. If you look up College Peak on Google Earth we're on the east slope right between north and south peak. Our land butts up to the state land that makes up the north peak. BTW... What's the guitar in your avatar? Nice looking acoustic. I play a 12 string myself.

Jeff

It's my baby - Taylor 814ce. My guitar is senior over my detector...lol

I was in Douglas last month on a case that was actually showcased on the news down there.

Narcizo Yepiz-Urrea wanted for a Phoenix murder arrested at border

Had to go to Agua Prieta.

I will look on Google Earth later but out of curiosity, why live in such a remote area?

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A few reasons. One: it's quiet! Two: Rush hour might be 10 cars in an hour. Three: Plenty of prospecting within walking distance. Four: House is pretty much off the grid

Daugela

Jul 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White MTX, VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few reasons. One: it's quiet! Two: Rush hour might be 10 cars in an hour. Three: Plenty of prospecting within walking distance. Four: House is pretty much off the grid

I can't quite find it on the map....

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
From Douglas, AZ.... Go east on Hwy 80 about 15 miles. You should be able to see north and south College Peaks. We're located between the peaks and the highway. A wash known as Silver Creek runs right through the middle of the property. If you go further east on 80 you will run into the San Bernadino Valley with its cinder cones. We can see one of the largest of them from the house and I'm planning on doing a little exploring there soon. Looks like it would be a great area to learn a little more geology as well as a good place for me to indulge in my other hobby. Flying R/C sailplanes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread