BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know much about prospecting in New Mexico, but in Colorado, you usually need permits for gasoline (or diesel) powered water pumps, but not for electric powered bilge pumps (altho there are some places that don't allow any motorized gear, such as Cache Creek near Leadville). Gold Cubes don't work well with too much water flow - the electric bilge pumps are what you will be using with one anyway. I would suspect that the bilge pump is not going to be an issue. So, as long as the site allows a sluice, it should allow a Gold Cube.

You need to look at your state recreational mining regulations to see what restrictions you have. You might consider attending a few meetings at a gold prospecting club (if you have one near you) - odds are good that someone in the club knows what the restrictions/limitations are for where you want to go.

There is a GPAA club in Roswell NM - look them up (It's free to attend GPAA meetings and you don't have to join the GPAA to go to them).

I bought my Gold Cube over a year ago, and I don't use my old sluicing gear anymore.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To know for sure...............

Contact the BLM Field Office or Forest Service Ranger District Office before conducting any surface disturbing activities on Federal land

[h=2]Contact[/h]Roswell Field Office
Bureau of Land Management
2909 W. Second Street
Roswell, NM 88201-2019

(575) 627-0272
(575) 627-0276 FAX

Last edited:
OP
OP
homestead-hunter

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To know for sure...............

Contact the BLM Field Office or Forest Service Ranger District Office before conducting any surface disturbing activities on Federal land

[h=2]Contact[/h]Roswell Field Office
Bureau of Land Management
2909 W. Second Street
Roswell, NM 88201-2019

(575) 627-0272
(575) 627-0276 FAX

I appreciate it, The BLM is about 2 blocks away so I will go there.

OP
OP
homestead-hunter

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about prospecting in New Mexico, but in Colorado, you usually need permits for gasoline (or diesel) powered water pumps, but not for electric powered bilge pumps (altho there are some places that don't allow any motorized gear, such as Cache Creek near Leadville). Gold Cubes don't work well with too much water flow - the electric bilge pumps are what you will be using with one anyway. I would suspect that the bilge pump is not going to be an issue. So, as long as the site allows a sluice, it should allow a Gold Cube.

You need to look at your state recreational mining regulations to see what restrictions you have. You might consider attending a few meetings at a gold prospecting club (if you have one near you) - odds are good that someone in the club knows what the restrictions/limitations are for where you want to go.

There is a GPAA club in Roswell NM - look them up (It's free to attend GPAA meetings and you don't have to join the GPAA to go to them).

I bought my Gold Cube over a year ago, and I don't use my old sluicing gear anymore.

Thanks!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im in New Mexico, when prospecting, is it legal to use a "Gold Cube" without a permit on BLM land? From what I understand you only need a permit for heavy equipment.
Thanks!
My approach is to just "go do it". It's easier to get forgiveness than permission, in many cases. So, in almost 40 years of prospecting, I've never had a hassle.
Jim

OP
OP
homestead-hunter

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, thats what I was thinkin. But $1800 of detecting gear, $480 gold cube and other gear would hurt if it were confiscated, but so many stupid rules! If its more than 2 cubit yards there are rules, if your are sluicing material into an active stream its a $50 permit, for what??? They always want $$$

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Another thing i'm curious about. While you're asking questions at the meeting. Is there ANY difference between state regulations enforced on public lands and private land ? Suppose some landowner tells me it's o.k. to prospect on his land for a minimal fee. So much a day, or 20% of my daily take. Do the same regulations apply ? Does it make a difference if the mineral rights are retained by the State ? I imagine it does. The landowner whould have to own the mineral rights or you'd be in trouble, wouldn't you ? I've heard land owners in NM can't even construct a cistern to catch rain water on their own property without being fined by the state. That's right. The State of New Mexico owns the rain, even before it hits the ground. Must be nice to be GOD.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
By the way. What is undeveloped mountainside property with no road access and no water going for in New Mexico's gold country ? I know that's a big strip of territory running diagonally from NE to SW across the entire state. I'm looking at where's the "cheapest" i can get into an eighth of an acre or so. I'm not lookin for a precise figure on any particular lot somewhere, just a ball park figure, (an idea).

OP
OP
homestead-hunter

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing i'm curious about. While you're asking questions at the meeting. Is there ANY difference between state regulations enforced on public lands and private land ? Suppose some landowner tells me it's o.k. to prospect on his land for a minimal fee. So much a day, or 20% of my daily take. Do the same regulations apply ? Does it make a difference if the mineral rights are retained by the State ? I imagine it does. The landowner whould have to own the mineral rights or you'd be in trouble, wouldn't you ? I've heard land owners in NM can't even construct a cistern to catch rain water on their own property without being fined by the state. That's right. The State of New Mexico owns the rain, even before it hits the ground. Must be nice to be GOD.

New Mexico is pretty laid back, heck I can drive around with a loaded concealed weapon in my car legally, here your car is considered an extension of your home, as far as catching rainwater, everyone does it here, I have never hear of a a law regarding that here, but I know in I think Utah there were people getting fines. And we are still open carry and it is common practice. But they dont mess around when it comes to archaeology. I will try to find some answers at the BLM for you.

OP
OP
homestead-hunter

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way. What is undeveloped mountainside property with no road access and no water going for in New Mexico's gold country ? I know that's a big strip of territory running diagonally from NE to SW across the entire state. I'm looking at where's the "cheapest" i can get into an eighth of an acre or so. I'm not lookin for a precise figure on any particular lot somewhere, just a ball park figure, (an idea).

Im not sure, I do know land is cheap. Im close to White Oaks and Lincoln County (billy the kid) and I bet you can get it for about 1K an acre. Here are some places in White Oaks, there are some placer sites in Jicarilla. White Oaks Land for Sale - White Oaks, NM Land Real Estate - REALTOR.com®

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was in Oregon.....all waters belong to the U.S.Expect even more ludicrous laws/regs coming!!!!

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Does anyone know of any locations near Albaquerque or Sante Fe that might warrant a visit ? I'll be laying over in the area for about 3 weeks before heading on to Arizona this season. Talked to several of the locals last year who live there, but travel elsewhere to prospect. Walked into the Forestry Office in Albaquerque and i might as well have been askin'em where to find gold on Mars. Near as i can tell, no one's much interested in prospecting around either of these cities. Both cities border the mineral belt running through NM, so there should be something just east of one or the other.

OP
OP
homestead-hunter

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of any locations near Albaquerque or Sante Fe that might warrant a visit ? I'll be laying over in the area for about 3 weeks before heading on to Arizona this season. Talked to several of the locals last year who live there, but travel elsewhere to prospect. Walked into the Forestry Office in Albaquerque and i might as well have been askin'em where to find gold on Mars. Near as i can tell, no one's much interested in prospecting around either of these cities. Both cities border the mineral belt running through NM, so there should be something just east of one or the other.

The most productive Gold mine in NM is in Santa Fe, The area has been mined by indians and Spanish since the 1600s. Taos supposed to be rich in Placer.

Santa Fe - Jemez Ranger District

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
That's probably the problem. I mostly only talked to people in Albaquerque. That's also where i visited the Forestry Office. Only passed through Santa Fe briefly and didn't talk to anyone. I did hear about Taos though. Might be worth a detour up that way. Thanks.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on how jealously they gaurd their water rights. In Id ,if you pump water, they want a permit.

OP
OP
homestead-hunter

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's probably the problem. I mostly only talked to people in Albaquerque. That's also where i visited the Forestry Office. Only passed through Santa Fe briefly and didn't talk to anyone. I did hear about Taos though. Might be worth a detour up that way. Thanks.

It will be worth the trip, just to see the Toas Pueblo!

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Unfortunately it looks like Taos isn't going to happen in April. The average low temperature is still below freezing. Doesn't rise into the upper thirties at night until the middle or end of May. I've got somewhere else to be by then. I will try to catch the shuttle at the RailRunner Station in Santa Fe and make a daytrip up there just to check the area out. Sounds pretty neat, (all the artists and pueblos). Probably get some fantastic photos.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pueblo is really cool, I'm sure you'll enjoy the visit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread