Lets play guess the weight while I wait for my scale.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ordered a scale yesterday from Amazon.com: American Weigh Signature Series Black Digital Pocket Scale, 1000 by 0.1 grams: Kitchen & Dining and I am new so I have no Idea ??? what gold weighs in at or even close to by sight. So let's hear some guesses and the closest to guessing gets the following according to these rules:

Well This thread has taken on a life of its own!! Lets cover how close you have to be to win.
1. exact match wins if no exact match see #2
2. nearest guess either higher or lower to .1 wins
3. If tied with another the first guesser wins so be sure to submit your own unique value!!! Good Luck!!
I was just going to give honorable mention but I am thinking that I will throw in 5lbs of dry paydirt from the area that I am working. I will bring it back and ship it after my next trip so that the winner can get a look at the same gold up close. Winner covers shipping. Sound good?

20130326_093517.jpg 20130326_093614.jpg 20130326_093706.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Four tenths of a gram. Or about five grains.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm my guess is .6 grams. Hey did you know that you could of bought a scale at harbor freight for less the $12 that is accurate to .01 grams? I had it checked at a gold/coin shop and it's that accurate.

Search results for: 'scale'
this is the one I have and it's great!
Gram Scale - 1000 Gram Digital Scale

I got one from Harbor Freight. It works great, auto tare, grams or Oz.
I think I paid $16 plus shipping, about $19 total.
I use it for cooking too.:goldpan:

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
I guess .42 grams not that a newbie like me would have any idea but second pic showed the 4 from the calendar and third pic showed the 2
OBD

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess .42 grams not that a newbie like me would have any idea but second pic showed the 4 from the calendar and third pic showed the 2
OBD

LOL thats one way to come up with it. The scale I have coming is a 1000 gram that has tare and is accurate to +-.01g for $9 and free shipping through amazon. See the link in the first post.

EDIT:Found out this is not true it is acurate to +-.1g..... BOO Gotta get another one.

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi My, guess is a lot less than this :laughing9::laughing9::laughing9:

tinpan

Attachments

• hunt 39.jpg
    hunt 39.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You just made a common rookie mistake, Doit - Its 1.5 grams = 1 dwt. Anyway my guess is .50 grams.
BTW, it looks really "clean" for a rookie. You know you'll have to dry it before weighing, right?
And although your scale is fine for beginning, its not accurate enough when you get to the ounces, pounds, in other words,
Hoser John would toss in the trash! :laughing7:
I got that from 419. Which is it for sure? I have panning on lockdown. I dont know why but I can run a full shovel test pan in under 10-15 min but with panning concentrates it gets trickier.
1.I use the magnet in the bag trick to remove the metals and magnetite,
2. then I shaker table(a shaking technique that mimics the tapping technique) the pan until some gold shows
3. I snuffer the gold and whatever sands are close and repeat until I have all of the gold out of the majority of the sands.
4. I dump the sands back into my concentrate mix for later processing or selling.
5. Then I dump the snuffer bottle into the pan and shake until I have just the gold separated from the sands and snuffered up.
6. Dump the sands again, put the gold in the pan and take a picture, put it into the vial and done.

The way I do it now I can be done with the panning part of cleanup in an hour. The first time I did it took over four hours and I had to find a solution.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doit - your numbered steps look just fine to me - that's the way I did it. :icon_thumright:

Meurnik

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that, Now that I know the conversion 1.555 DWT = 1 Gram I can easily convert. Its like getting a liter of milk... WHO the EFF buy milk by the liter??? lol

I buy everything by the liter! Milk, yoghurt, gas, OJ... but i also measure with the metric system... :)

OT: My guess is 3.14 grams, just because i love to eat pie!

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in for .77 grams. So what's the prize if we are right and how close do we have to be to win :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Doitlaynstyle

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in for .77 grams. So what's the prize if we are right and how close do we have to be to win :icon_scratch:

Well This thread has taken on a life of its own!! Lets cover how close you have to be to win.
1. exact match wins if no exact match see #2
2. nearest guess either higher or lower to .1g wins
3. If tied with another the first guesser wins so be sure to submit your own unique value!!! Good Luck!!
I was just going to give honorable mention but I am thinking that I will throw in 5lbs of dry paydirt from the area that I am working. I will bring it back and ship it after my next trip so that the winner can get a look at the same gold up close. Winner covers shipping. Sound good?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread