build a floor without gold

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
last summer i was pouring a cement floor for my shop when i discovered small flakes of gold in the portland cement. being of sound mind i decided to pan out the remainder of the sack and then use it on the floor. i only had a quarter of a sack to finish with (about 20 lbs.) i got a couple of grains for my trouble. i'll bet that the cement came out of the cement factories in eastern oregon - some of which are near the burnt river. wayne

Upvote 0

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Reminds me of the site on the Dahlonega museum in Georgia, the bricks of the building contain gold. Bricks were made from local mud. Pete

P

parttime_miner

In northern california gold country, there are a number of gravel / cement companies working in old
hydrolic mining sites... I have wondered on a number of
occasions if they wash their gravel first. Cause, we all know that there is gold there.

Makes ya wonder if someone gets a nugget in their gravel driveway once in a while. ;D

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Stan Grist lives in Ecuador as a full time treasure hunter. He says this about the gravel pits in Cuiaba...

"It has been quite a while since I have spent time in Cuiaba. However, the gold presence is so extensive in the area, that I doubt it could ever be worked out over the next 500 - 1,000 years. I once visited a farm about 20 miles out of town there where about 200 workers had removed 2 meters of topsoil down to the decomposing quartz bedrock. The quartz was being washed in sluice boxes. Only the free gold was being recovered. I estimate that 80% of the gold in the quartz was being thrown away. They were recovering many kilos per day. Cuiaba's local gravel pit was running all their material through a sluice box before selling the gravel for construction. The gold recovered paid their entire overhead. The gravel was all pure profit."

Check out Stan's his website at http://hop.clickbank.net/?younglite/infoshare2

P

PatPhillips

Rumor has it that when they were building the Friant Dam on the San Joaquin River just north of Fresno, Ca that they found enough gold to almost pay for the project. There is still a substantial gravel outfit on the river immediately north of Fresno, in what's probably called the Pinedale neighborhood. I've always wondered if they had a sluice setup in there somewhere. You'd think they'd be crazy not to. Pat

P

parttime_miner

Ok.. a little off topic, but speaking of dams... I was once told a rumor from an old timer that there was a considerable amount of gold in the fish ladders next to the shasta dam near redding... he went on to say that it was true for most dams through-out california gold country... ;D

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
They are gravelling county roads and city lanes here in an area of Texas with a red granite that is loaded with fine gold, and they don't even know it. So, people are driving to and from work everyday over gold worth more money than they could ever make in their lifetimes.
In downtown Helena, Montana, near the creek about 35 years ago, an outfit decided to buy and tear down the old Hotel that was there and build a new one. After they tore down the old one, they decided that they wanted a nice big basement in the big new hotel they were about to build. It's a good thing they did. That acre of gravel land was so darn rich in gold that it not only payed for the whole hotel construction project, but gave them a hefty profit over and above it all. I know this is a fact, because I was there and saw it happen, and even panned a few pans of gold out of the material myself in the creek as did a lot of other people there at the time. ;D Comanchero

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
No surprise to me. A while back? a friend and I did a survey of a sand and gravel plant. As gold occurs in the gravel a rag plant or gold processing unit was installed. We sampled the sand that was going out to the customers after going thru the gold processing unit. We found lots of coarse gold and concluded most of the gold was being lost and was sent out to be used as cement. Because of the incredible tonnage run thru the plant the rag plant quickly became clogged up within a few hours and quickly became ineffective. As they processed the gold plant once a week most of the gold was lost. How much gold was lost each month? $50000 $100000?- who knows. Believe it or not the manager of the plant was not concerned considering the amount of money they were making on the sand and gravel. We figured there was more to the story than we knew(relative involved, kickback or laziness?) so we walked away(We had an idea for a more efficient rag plant).

George

Comanchero

Apr 7, 2005
Kerrville, Texas
Yeah George, Ya never know what is really going on sometimes.? Ya did the right thing.
In prospecting, mining, etc. if something looks fishy or just don't sound right, just LEAVERITE and walk away.? That way you won't end up being sorry about anything! ::)? Comanchero
Actually, this principle applies to just about everything in life! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread