Prospecting approaches?

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have read allot of threads on sampling areas/test panning ect.ect. And although this is valuable tools I wonder how much time people spend to get to know the area in which they choose to prospect? I attribute alot of my success on The NF American River to my hiking the area and researching the area and wathching the prospectors already in the area.. My favorite times to go is the next day after a good rain as these seem to provide a grip of info on an area!! The history of an area can tell you alot as where you should be digging!! And if you should try to reach bedrock or if you should just focus your energy on just the top pay streak ect ect.. Or if on this section of the river you should retire your sluice and crevice and snipe.. I put alot of time in knowing the rivers in which I pursue gold and I think that the extra time spent just hiking around and beining familiar with a place has helped me a whole lot!!

Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree! My brother in law has been in this area over 30 years. When I started river research for gold, I told him what I'd learned. He got this far away look and started coming up with all kinds of places and ideas. How do you think I got him hooked? Shhhhh don't tell. :laughing7:
It would be A LOT tougher without his local experience. Family issues came up and he had to go out of town. My wife misses him more than I do cuz she's sick of me talking about gold this, dig this, build this, build that.:unhappysmiley:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff - when my other half sees that far away look, she stops talking and immediately walks out of the room. No anger just resigned to the fact i'm not listening
but am back in the gold fields - again!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and there are clues as to what where and how that %95 of even experienced prospectors today dont see...work with your mind makes it a lot easier on your back

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take notes. Write it down. What kinds of plants are around (desert trumpet plant)? Is the creek bed moist, arid, or year round water? Is there black sand, clay, cobbles, boulders, red dirt? Lots of things can spell success or failure. If one place seems better than another, try to find out why and WRITE IT DOWN! When you study your notes, you may discover the difference between success/failure hiding in your notes.... in plain sight. TTC

DESERT TRUMPET PLANT desert trumpet plant.JPG desert trumpet.JPG trumpet plant.JPG trumpet.JPG

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes kuger you hit the nail on the head. I'm just wondering when can i rely on my experience. Lol.
ahhh Grasshoppa,your results and lack of sore back will tell you..............boy my back hurts...........and my knees....and my shoulder.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions