Alaskan Pay dirt

SteveDigsGems

Dec 22, 2012
Aliso Viejo, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this evening I decided to pan some Alaskan pay dirt that I bought from an eBay seller. I bought 1 pound for $15, and it is guaranteed to have gold, because the lady sprinkles a pinch in. I didn't get rich, but I am really happy with the experience I got out of it. I have a lot of friends that want to travel out to my local gold bearing rivers with me to sluice, but before we go, I'm probably going to have them pan some of the dirt in my backyard. It is a good opportunity for them to see how the gold behaves, and it will motivate them for the upcoming trip.

47036_552775834743801_545570301_n.jpg 564640_552775851410466_542883258_n.jpg

Sorry about the quality, my camera ran out of batteries, this is an iPad picture. I'll get some batteries next time I'm at the store and upload what I found.

-Steve

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sucks. MSHA, just another dirty word in the vocabulary at mining ops....not really but they are a pain, nitpicky and sometimes necessary to point out potential unnoticed hazards. The good news is that he showed up for a surprise inspection rather than a reported serious injury accident.

Better luck next season.

Last edited:

elkie13

Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll admit that I think MSHA is a complete waste of time for small operations such as mine. However, the inspector was not a monster like I had heard. More interested in pointing our what would make us safe and compliant then writing tickets. Some of the stuff we have to do is completely a waste of time (guards over every moving part on the tommel even where you'd have to stand in the sluice box to stick your hand in), but a few of them I went "ok yeah, I never even considered that."
It was pretty frustrating that when I asked him questions about this our that the answer was usually "well I wouldn't ticket you for that but another inspector might not see it that way." Just proves that it is all up to the interpretation and mood of your inspector and you're damned either way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread