Panning Sand bags

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone here tried panning or slucing the bags of sand from Lowes or Home Depot? I saw the show where Tom Massie tried some and got a little gold. I live in Arkansas so I'm not sure if there would be any or not. The sand might come from the Arkansas river though, so there is a chance. Thoughts on the subject are welcome.:happysmiley:

Upvote 0

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search old threads...I know I followed one a little a month or so back...It appears some people do find a little gold in the baggged sand..

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Heard that Home Depot/ Lowes that sells sand from Georgia sometimes has gold in it. I guess the trick would be to find enough gold to offset the cost of the sand. Great excuse to make that sandbox for your kids.

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the sand is bagged in a gold producing area, then there is a chance to find something. I tried a 50 lb bag from Home Depot one time, but didn't really find anything. The bags are only about $3 so not a big investment. Nice way to practice panning or test equipment as well.

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
Where are you located lownslow? I have searched the Arkansas river and have found gold. It is minus 70 mesh. I just ran 19 buckets of coarse dredged sand Saturday. This sand came from The Van Buren plant.. Hopefully later tonight I will add a picture of it. The Ar. GPAA chapter will meet this coming weekend north of ozark. There is a lot of gold that is super tiny. I use a 17x magnifying lense to see it. I also use one of the deer blood led trailing lights to see it. Red and blue leds. The gold is easier to see.

TT

Last edited:

AlwaysBusyJ

Feb 9, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a thread or two about this already, I've panned out a few bags, and have a few more in work. So far I have found gold, but it's the tiniest of specks. It's really not worth amount of effort it takes, I'm just doing it for kicks. But yes, it's completely possible to get gold out of bags of sand, just not likely, and certainly not profitable! But if your like me and have a little bit of extra time on your hands and just want to satisfy your curiousity... Go and grab a bag or two and find out for yourself! They only cost a couple bucks, try to get sand that hasn't been washed. It can't hurt, and if nothing else it's a good way to practice your panning on days you can't make it out to the creek.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting concept and it can be tested all over the country. Every region has its own gravel and sand pits. So the chances finding gold in any of them could be good. if you get raw unwashed Sand and gravel you probably have a better chance. If you need to buy some sand or gravel anyway it really wouldn't even be much of an investment. and while you got the sand you might as well run it through a wash plant and see what you find. I would. :goldpan:

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was an AMA on Reddit (Ask Me Anything thread) where a line operator of one of the dirt bagging companies was answering questions. Here's one that came up about gold and whether the company uses a sluice in any part of the process:

comments on I am a line operator at a company that makes and distributes dirt, mulch and rock to major companies like Menards, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. AMA

His answer: "Its run through 2 screeners to get the big chunks, that don't break up, out of the dirt. But that's the only type of screening we do."

So the chance of finding gold in one of these bags increases a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lownslow

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Timmy Tom, Are you saying you can't see it with the naked eye? I live in Fayetteville. I am a GPAA member. I have been off & on for about 12 years. I've never been to any local AR meets. Not sure what I'll be doing this weekend, maybe working. Is there much gold to be found in AR? I've read stories and looked, panned some but never found any I knew of. I thought about going down to Antlers OK since I saw their place in the GPAA claims guide last year. Where do you live? Are there many members here in AR?

OP
OP
Lownslow

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sackett, I do remember seeing that thread too. I'll look for it. Happy Hunting:happysmiley:

OP
OP
Lownslow

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks soupfreak.

OP
OP
Lownslow

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AlwaysBusyJ, I appreciate the feedback.

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
Well. Some is visible but a lot is super tiny. This gold is probably from Colorado according to Kevin. I have done a lot of research and I can say that their is gold in the southern ouachita mtns. I have yet to venture down there. I am in Mansfield. I am not sure of how many members are in the club. I only went to one meeting so far.

OP
OP
Lownslow

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Aurabbit79er, That's the reason I ask the question. It would seem more likely in gold bearing regions of the country, but I'm game for a little fun when I get board.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread