Best Spring Break EVER

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So at my 16th bday, my dad says i could have anything, so I ask him if I could roam a specific corner of the Arizona Desert with him, he had to do it cuz it was a promise. Anyways after a 7 day backpacking trip and over 18 hours of prospecting, here is what I came up with at the end. I think it should be around 1-1.5 grams, anyone wanna guess? IMG_20130408_201512.jpg IMG_20130408_201524.jpg

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't guess But Cool :thumbsup: Congrats !

I'm glad you had fun.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice gold...my guess is 1.8 grams :)

buffalogold

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2013
buffalo ny
Detector(s) used
no detector - gold prospector
Primary Interest:
Other
1.673 grams is my guess - im unfamiliar with prospecting in arizona - from buffalo ny - do you guys just roam and area with a metal detector? dry creek beds or just wherever?

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you were close, it is 1.52 grams, but what I did was look at old maps where claims used to be, and are now public land, and then went there with a gold pan and a borrowed sluice box.
Go here: NETR Online • Historic Aerials
although u cant find old claims, u can find old mining towns...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That aerial maps site is way cool! I have never metal detected but I almost want to after seeing some of the sites where there used to be buildings 100 yrs ago near me! Soooo cool!

Also cool to confirm whether creeks have been left in their original watercourses or moved for development reasons, etc. so I know where to check for gold placer deposits :-)

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go young man! Good job and cudos to your dad for keeping his promise. He is a special man just as you are a special young man for wanting to spend time with him.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That aerial maps site is way cool! I have never metal detected but I almost want to after seeing some of the sites where there used to be buildings 100 yrs ago near me! Soooo cool!

Also cool to confirm whether creeks have been left in their original watercourses or moved for development reasons, etc. so I know where to check for gold placer deposits :-)

wait they go back over 100 years for your town, thats nice, my hometown ones go to the 50s so the only hope is finding silver coins lol

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any gold found is a gift from a generous God! I think he likes to watch people when they find it!

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow what a great trip!! Would love to do that with my son one of these days!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread