slate bed rock

kemosabi

Greenie
Mar 15, 2013
I found this exposed slate on some mear by property to mine. I have been detecting it and getting good strong signals. But when I dig and pan I find nothing! Im new to prospecting and I have to be doing something wrong?? Please help

ForumRunner_20130424_094605.png

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this exposed slate on some mear by property to mine. I have been detecting it and getting good strong signals. But when I dig and pan I find nothing! Im new to prospecting and I have to be doing something wrong?? Please help

I see evidence of iron staining mineralization in the photo, the detector could be picking up on it. How about black sand are you finding it in your pan? If so, then try to null it out if your detector has that capability.

GG~

OP
OP
K

kemosabi

Greenie
Mar 15, 2013
Yes Im finding tons of black sand. Im getting the differant signals. I checked my detector with a gold ring to try and pick up on the signal it gives from gold. I get that signal while detecting.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Im finding tons of black sand. Im getting the differant signals. I checked my detector with a gold ring to try and pick up on the signal it gives from gold. I get that signal while detecting.

What brand and model detector are you using?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not that up on detecting although I own some but from what I have read detectors ment for coin shooting don't work well for detecting gold due to the high mineralization of the ground that gold is usually found in. You arn't really doing anything wrong it is more like the wrong tool for the job.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What BH Prospector said.

Finding a gold ring VS finding gold flakes or small nuggets in mineralized ground requires special circuitry. Most gold dedicated detectors have a way to null out the mineralization that creates the false "gold" signal.

Not saying that you couldn't find a gold nugget with a coin detector but in mineralized ground with lots of black sand you're very fortunate if you do.

GG~

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya need another unit,buy used but not abused off forums,or craigslist for pennies on the dollar. Any goldbug,tesoro lobo st,cibola,at garreet whatever-John

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in a known gold area I would just dig in the likely locations and pan, I found a little panning but bought a small sluice to move material quicker as there's not alot here where I live so the more material you move the more gold you'll come across. I would still pick the best most likely spots that the gold would settle when digging the material.

OP
OP
K

kemosabi

Greenie
Mar 15, 2013
Ok I have now.got a Garrett GTA x 550. And it has the opition to null out everything but gold. Is this a better detector for finding gold?

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any power lines around that area? If so it could be electromagnetic interference. Or it could be small metal particles like black sand to make the detector to go off. Just pan some of the material and see what you get. It could be something deep in the ground and the detector is picking up some of the signal from the metal. Do you have a depth indicator to see the estimated depth?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What wingmaster said. Everyone is looking for a shortcut to the gold, there is none. Start with a pan and find just one piece, then go from there. If you can't get it with a pan, you won't get it ever no matter how many dollars you spend on the latest technology known to man.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kemosabi

Greenie
Mar 15, 2013
I think I'm going to go with wingmaster and and hunterbill and loose the technology, get my pan and spade and go dig some holes. The only problem with a sluice is all the tiny pieces of broken slate that are in the sand. Ive already tried the sluice there and it gets clogged

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kemo - that happens too with dredging. When you finally get down to the bedrock interface where the good gold is, you have to be careful to keep your riffles clear because of the sharp flat pieces of broken shale - at least thats what happened in my river.

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most have said more than likely even your new detector will not find fine or flour gold. But what I have done is used a detector on the creek I prospect to find the higher concentrations of black sand with a metal detector and put me the best place to high bank. You probably wont believe this but a set of dowsing rods indicated the same area as being the best to prospect. Don't know nothing bout them just saying.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To get any amount of gold, you are going to have to work at it. Pan, sluice, etc. Finding nuggets takes time. A guy can usually find ten times the gold doing it the hard way than detecting. That being said, you can get into a good area and knock it out with a detector. I recently re-acquired one, and am playing with it a little, but i really picked it up to check my tailing piles, and my holes when I am done.

OP
OP
K

kemosabi

Greenie
Mar 15, 2013
A little off topic but today I was down at the river and I found some very intresting rocks. If anyone can please tell me how to test these areas to see if they are gold baring it would he awesome. I broke a couple pieces off to see what if there was anything visible (gold).

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130510_210115.png
    ForumRunner_20130510_210115.png
    149.9 KB · Views: 122
  • ForumRunner_20130510_210142.png
    ForumRunner_20130510_210142.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20130510_210232.png
    ForumRunner_20130510_210232.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20130510_210255.png
    ForumRunner_20130510_210255.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 122

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Worth crushing with a morter and pestle. It is hard work, get it real fine (powder). Do like a coffee can full of the most interesting pieces and pan it. Use a magnifying glass. This will tell you if there is any free gold in it. Free gold ha ha ha. Or send it to a lab.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions