Good gold creeks in the AZ mountains?

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking for a creek in the Payson or Flagstaff area of AZ for a weekend trip to do some camping and sluicing.

I love camping, and my wife and I normally go up to Blue Ridge reservoir near Payson for fishing and kayaking. I'd like to take some trips this summer and combine prospecting with camping.

Does anyone know of any areas within a couple hours of Prescott that are in the pine trees and have year-round creeks?

BTW, I don't do campgrounds. I refuse to pay money to live in a trailer park for the weekend... I have my Suburban and a tent, which means I can get to some pretty remote areas; the more remote the better.

Upvote 0

simkiss2001

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2013
AK AND AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are a few areas in prescott tho such as lynx creek is one of the better spots but the gold is spotty. you can go to banning mine road of walker take it down to the creek and you can camp free in the pines and your like 20 ft from the water

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did an extensive search online last night and you are correct; no gold in that area of AZ...

I will either have to settle on something in the Bradshaw mountains, or just be content with just camping and forget about prospecting for the weekend...

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nothing really up that way

That is what I was thinking. I spent a lot of time in Show Low last year, and there was no reports up there. Go camping, have fun. Drink beer and fish instead. If you want to know some good areas to trout fish at, PM me.

simkiss2001

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2013
AK AND AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head to the bradshaws or better yet this spot i am going to tell you about is pretty damn hot. its off hwy 69 in prescott valley you turn left on stone ridge and drive to the first bridge park and walk to the right up by the big pipes and start digging. you will get gold in every pan. its called rose creek

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Head to the bradshaws or better yet this spot i am going to tell you about is pretty damn hot. its off hwy 69 in prescott valley you turn left on stone ridge and drive to the first bridge park and walk to the right up by the big pipes and start digging. you will get gold in every pan. its called rose creek

Been there many times as it is a mile from my house...:icon_thumleft:

It is pretty crowded nowadays.

I concentrate now below the dam where you have to hike in and only a couple of familiar folks and gold in every pan... I'm looking for a place like that in a remote area far enough away to camp at and dig gold for 10 hours a day all weekend...

ArizFlash

Sep 19, 2008
North Central WA
Detector(s) used
Whites - V3 i , MXT Pro, XLT, IDX
Fisher F70, Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The upper Hassayampa River drainage area just downstream of Groom Creek (Southwest of Prescott) has some remote spots where you can do some camping and panning. I've gotten good color panning the sand and gravel from the steel drainage culverts under the roads.

rick.ther

Aug 7, 2005
no. cal
Detector(s) used
whites, fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would try up on the Hassayampa, just behind wolf creak camp ground, Maybe 1/4 mile is a road along the creek. beware though alot of it is claimed. you can still find places to prospect if you do some research. roadrunners club has some claims on this creek. check google earth and find the roads that people ride there toys on and you will find the gold.
Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread