Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went to a spot I've been before, where I got micro and flour gold, and not much of it. Certainly not enough (for me) to collect it. So this time, it was sniping only in the same area. I need the practice, and the area still looks promising. Unfortunately the samples showed the same results as last visit. But, I may have had my best gold find ever! While getting samples, stuck in the sand but fully exposed, right at the bank next to bedrock...I found this! (Don't have a MD, didn't need it!)

004.jpg 005.jpg

Obviously a pocket watch that had been lost for a long long time. (Last year I sold a Hamilton pocket watch $350 that was in excellent condition.)

Anyway, I got it home and cleaned it up with soap and water. I presented it to my wife and she held it by the bottom edges. All of a sudden, the curved pieces broke away from the top piece. She was horrified:-[ I put her at ease when I told her "Relax, the value (if any) isn't in it's condition, but it's weight. AND that's IF it is gold, not plated and what K if it is gold."

What do you think? What should I do?

PS Since I'm loading pics, here is my prospecting results to-date. Obligated disclaimer-objects appear larger than actual size8-)

001.jpg 002.jpg

Included in the vile is a nice flake I found when I wasn't even looking for gold. My bro-in-law needed help with the lights on the boat trailer so we could go salmon fishing. I was at the cab of the pick up taking orders...brake on, brake off, brake on...getting bored and started looking in the back of the truck. The sun was shining, he has a black bed liner and FLASH! I think NO WAY! When I get done, I scramble in the back and stare at it. I lick my finger and think if this is the same color on the reverse...it was! It looked like a capital L. I showed Bryan and we both remember last fall, we got twenty 5 gallon buckets of sand from the river for his garden. Good thing it wasn't a nugget...we'd be dredging the garden!:laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that it broke means it's probably plated, but you should have and acid test done to find out.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be fun to beg or borrow an MD to locate the watch. BTW nice pic of your magnified stash! ps - i'm told if you fill the
vial completely submerged in a large container of water (upright position), you can eliminate that pesky air bubble.

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You found gold just layin in the back of the truck? How awesome is that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread