Gold *and* Pyrite, or just Pyrite? [images]

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1714.JPG IMG_1715.JPG IMG_1718.JPG IMG_1719.JPG

These rocks are from Colorado, not exactly sure what location but someplace in or near Gilpin County.

Can't tell if the Pyrite is tarnished or stained, or if it's actually gold. Not even sure why the Pyrite would tarnish in only certain little spots but not others if they were all exposed to weather/air the same way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres a few test you can do. Since your asking your not aware of the test. One test is to see if the mineral flakes or bends. Pyrite flakes. You can burn a piece of it, pyrite burns easy. There is a acid test. Im not sure where to buy that stuff. You can crush and pan it, but again Im new at this also. Do you know if gold has been found there before?

OP
OP
B

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres a few test you can do. Since your asking your not aware of the test. One test is to see if the mineral flakes or bends. Pyrite flakes. You can burn a piece of it, pyrite burns easy. There is a acid test. Im not sure where to buy that stuff. You can crush and pan it, but again Im new at this also. Do you know if gold has been found there before?

Yea. It's just so small it's hard to scratch.

And yes, Gilpin County was a *very* rich gold producing area. I belive it's the second highest gold producing area in Colorado.

Gilpin County, on the east slope of the Front Range in north-central Colorado about 30 miles west of Denver, ranks second among the counties of Colorado in gold production. Through 1959 it produced, in round numbers, 4,255,000 ounces of gold valued at $89,785,000. Of this production, 4,207,000 ounces was lode gold and 47,900 ounces was placer gold.

Gilpin County Colorado Gold Production

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Around Central City the early miners quickly exhausted the shallow oxidized portions of the
outcrops and encountered complex sulfide mineralization. The ore pictured is similar to rocks
I've found at Creede. Purple, with infusions of pyrite. To tell if gold is present remember that
gold will shine in the shade, pyrite will not. If you are still not sure chip off a sample, crush
and pan. Pyrite is brittle, gold is soft.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Around Central City the early miners quickly exhausted the shallow oxidized portions of the
outcrops and encountered complex sulfide mineralization. The ore pictured is similar to rocks
I've found at Creede. Purple, with infusions of pyrite. To tell if gold is present remember that
gold will shine in the shade, pyrite will not. If you are still not sure chip off a sample, crush
and pan. Pyrite is brittle, gold is soft.
This is good advice...

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely worth testing, $50 would get you 1 or 2 "50 element icp assays". :icon_thumleft:
If you could poke a pinn in a piece of the gold color , if it is pure gold, it will leave a dent. :goldbar:
If it does not dent, that does mean it has no gold in it.
:occasion14:
What you do have, is chalcolpyrite.
Chalcopyrite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
chalcolpyrite is pyrite that is mixed with other metals , copper silver gold ext.
i saw a piece of bornite in picture 1713 or 1714 [blue fleck] :icon_thumleft:
I call chalcolpyrite fools gold because only a fool will walk by it. :laughing7:

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does the gold areas shine change at different angles? If so I'd say pyritic.

OP
OP
B

Barry-Goodknight

Sep 4, 2012
Black Hawk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm gonna crush it and find out. Just not sure how I'm going to crush it thoroughly into an even powder yet.

I saw that blue metal looking specs too, had no idea what it was, there are a few of those specs.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess I'm gonna crush it and find out. Just not sure how I'm going to crush it thoroughly into an even powder yet.

I saw that blue metal looking specs too, had no idea what it was, there are a few of those specs.
Mortar and pestle...

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that is pyrite. I found some rocks like that, that had a ''gold'' appearance. Where did you find that rock? in a creek bed? in bedrock? Gold doesn't embed it self in rocks. Gold is heavy and soft.

Here is an picture example... keep in mind that this rock looks just like yours. Sorry to bust your bubble but I think you have been fooled. ''Fools Gold"

pyrites4.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions