Solo trips

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone on here ever go on camping/mining trips alone? I've got a place where I'd like to stay a few days and dredge but I'm not so sure I want to alone. On the other side of things I don't want to share this location with other people.. Haha. Any advice on solo mining/camping excursions?

Upvote 0

discordia

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah water filter or some way to disinfect water is a must. I have a good water filter, but you could just bring a pot or metal water container and filter the water through a clothe or bandanna and boil it for a minute or two to disinfect the cheapest way. There are also iodine or clorine tablets you can buy. Put them in and wait about 20 minutes although it makes the water taste like a swimming pool or iodine :/ And if you make a fire don't burn the forest down! Some places it is illegal to make fires or in certain times of the year or you need a permit. To make a fire start with small dry grass of trigs leaves and pile things on till you have it built up enough to put logs on and be self sustaining. Making a giant fire can be dangerous and hard to control potentially. Having wet clothes and sleeping bag won't keep you warm at night (unless it's made of wool). So I keep my sleeping bag in a water proof compression sack... they are expensive though.

Last edited:

nailbender1

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2013
central ohio
Detector(s) used
fisher2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For protection,have a can of wasp&hornet spray,sprays out farther than pepper spray,cheaper too

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lights, where the heck is the light?????????

Hey spillercanyon - Been there done that and you are so right on!! The modern Light Emitting Diode, LED, lights are amazing units! Before I saw one in use I thought it was a waste of money and effort to bring in Especially as they use AAA batteries and everybody knows those are Junk!

Man was I WRONG! My son brought in a AAA LED powered head lamp and I thought a what crap till he turned it on. Being taught by your children is good but humbling however, it was a lesson I took to heart! I've purchased several LED units since then usually because they were pumping out more light but Never because any of them failed, all of them are still working fine. LED's just keep on going and my AA Mag Lights just sit in the box gathering dust as I do not like changing bulbs.

I tend to carry spare batteries as well as a second headlamp but I've never needed to use either even on two week long trips using the one light every night and at times for long periods when I've returned to camp late and need it for preparing dinner, getting water, etc., etc. The battery saving system just works well. Yes the lights do dim down as the batteries are being used up but I've never had any failures with any I've owned...............63bkpkr

Wasp/Hornet spray shoots out a 1/4" diameter stream for about 20'! It is effective but just like pepper spray or dry pepper it helps a lot if the wind is not blowing in ones face. The wasp/hornet spray is not healthy for the eyes, nose, throat, lungs but if its IT or ME I will choose me every time!

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staying warm under any conditons "Cast Away"

Staying warm under any and all conditions is So Important! I also carry one or two home made fire starters with me in the fall as here in CA it usually does not rain in the summer.

Paper egg carton portion for holding eggs. Fill each egg compartment with dry saw dust/wood chips. Melt old candles or just wax and pour over each compartment of wood chips till the bottom of the egg carton shows wax penetration and let all of them cool, cool, cool. Once cold break them apart. Each egg holder is now a water proof fire starter and as long as you have a way to light it (like any one of the 2 butane lighters you have with you) then you can even get sopping wet wood to burn. I've done it!!

And now you as well as Terry C can understand why my starting pack weight is 85 pounds or a touch more (especially if I bring in the telephone booth)! Yes, I am a bit nuts................63bkpkr

discordia

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
85 pounds jesus christ how do you carry that? Yeah LED are good because the bulbs don't fail. Having a failed bulb while you are out would suck. But that's also why its good to have some other back up light source. I have a small army flash light and kind of cheap led headlamp I got for christmas. Head lamp is great because you can use both your hands to do things like cook or whatever at night. Some more expensive led flashlights can last alot longer on batteries and also have really low light modes to conserve it. If the moon is out often I don't need any flashlight to see to go out and pee at night though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heading out to go dredging tomorrow! =] It feels like summer time already.. Ill post my finds when I get back. I'm going to bring a pickaxe and take out the bank some. The bank is composed of a huge root mass thats about a foot thick..so we'll see how that goes.. Haha. Its all bedrock directly below that though. Just going to chip away at it clip roots and suck up material as I go. Hoping the water level didn't go down too much with all this hot weather or I'm done for the season... With dredging at least.. Oh and thanks for all the good input! Very good info!

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything above is great suggestions and I would also include a snake bit kit and know how to use it. It will add maybe 3 to 4 oz to that 85# pack, Jeeese 63bkpkr really 85# LOL I do like your personal insurance policy. I've got a lever action in 454, Can't imagine it in a pistol. The sound alone should scare the crap outta anything. If the OP chooses this policy he may want to add earplugs and a face mask (if he doesn't port it) .:laughing7:

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everything above is great suggestions and I would also include a snake bit kit and know how to use it.:

image-2652534419.jpg

Very good suggestion. I've never been bitten but I've seen plenty of them. Here's a pic I took of one during one of my trips. He was sitting on a tree branch a decent height up from the ground... Never would have expected that if I didn't see it myself.. Watch for them in the trees.. This one was on a branch about 4ft off the ground.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they lift the dredge ban, if they didn't, I don't know why I would be talking about dredging you mean highbanking right?

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did they lift the dredge ban, if they didn't, I don't know why I would be talking about dredging you mean highbanking right?

I gravity dredge. That's the only legal way at the moment. I've got some other threads on here somewhere about gravity dredging if you wanted to know what it's about, how it works.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I also carry a snake bite kit! I've seen snakes in tall bushes before but never a Rattlesnake. Why did you have to show me that picture, Ugh!!

Yes 85 lbs and when I'm feeling like really beating myself a little bit more. I came in back in 1989 with a 115 pound pack and it never even phased me as I was in Top condition, right now I'm in poT condition. Like pot belly butt loosing it! My food for two weeks can weigh up to 30 lbs if I'm having my special bean Trifecta w/Garlic for dinner every night, Oatmeal w/raisins for breakfast and beef jerky w/dried fruit for lunch. Then there is the GMT with 2 sets of batteries and 2 coils and headset. Gold pan, small sifter and my shovel or small pick. Sleeping bag, tent, air mattress & foam pad (I'm a sissy), first aid kit, cook stove w/fuel, cook pot, water bottle, water filter pump, change of clothes, water walking shoes, towel & wash cloth, diving mask, the backpack to put it all in as well as on, the camera (yes I take pictures) w/extra battery and tripod and carry bag, (did I ever mention I'm nuts), spot messenger w/pouch, GPS w/pouch, the 454 w/ammunition and shoulder holster easily weighs 10 lbs, steel anti-bear food bag cable with pulley and carbiners, light weight safety climbing rope and I'm certain I've left something out of this list but I think you get the idea.

183_8316.JPG 181_8162.JPG

I mean if you don't have toys with you one could get bored and I've found I do not like to be uncomfortable, there I knew I was leaving something out the camp chair with air pad, so I carry comfort with me. I am out there for two weeks! I go off on day hikes of from 8 to 12 hours or else I'm busy moving large boulders and digging trenches to get at gold, there again sometimes I bring in a geologists gad prybar and a crevice tool and a thing to fit into small cracks in bedrock to move the cracked section. I think the pictures sorta speak for themselves. AND YES I've been told many times I carry way too much stuff but then some guy in camp is grumping because his butt hurts as the gravel bar he's sitting on is made up of rocks and dirt, oh yeah when I pan I prop myself up against a rock in the water and sit on a small foam pad I bring cause its 'comfy', then there is the water jug for mixing up something to drink. I mean all of you guys and gals bring all of this stuff dont ya? Oh, and the tp. LOL Yes I don't need a mule as I already have a Jack Ass!!! LOL LOL

Some day I hope to lighten all of this but I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet.............63bkpkr

See the nice pictures of me. How did I take those? My camera is on the tripod and in one or the other hand is a wireless remote control, works from up to ~16'. There are days especially on the the hike out when I lament about having brought in what I have on my back. I LOVE being out there and that is why I do it! That is why I'm working hard right now to get back into shape and recoupe this shoulder surgery. The end of August has my name all over it for a ten day trip. And for the last comment, last month I became 69 years of age, not old but of age. The age to me is just a number and I've been smiling at them for many years and plan to for many more. Have fun everybody!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb is part pack mule and that blunderbust he shoots will tear your shoulder and wrists off-healing up ok I hope bud??SOOOOOOO much good info but never ever use a snake bite kit as much more dangerous than the bite in many MANY docs opinions as 1 slip and you can bleed to death right quick like. Just saw current costs for antivenom treatments now run $35-to $100,000 so watch out for mr no shoulders and yes they love them bushes and trees to shed skin especially-John

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't dare go out alone on an overnight trip around here!!!! Being only 10 miles from the Mexican border and in one of the worst drug/weapons running sections of the border would not make it a wise idea at all. I'm having a hard time talking Robi into going out blacklighting for minerals even on our own property!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of our own property, we've had a young black bear getting into the dumpster at our camp ground. FG wouldn't do anything about it. The bear started to break into some mobile homes next door (senior park). They got a permit to shoot it. Yesterday, I hear 4 shots and go to investigate. Turns out there were two bears (siblings?). The second came charging out (surprising everyone) and went up a tree. It wound up directly over a 5th wheel and would have landed on the roof and likely do serious damage. Also, they had a permit for one-not two. They finally left it alone and it disappeared. Hopefully he took the tip and vamoosed.

All this in the last week or two. Spring has sprung so be extra cautious!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't dare go out alone on an overnight trip around here!!!! Being only 10 miles from the Mexican border and in one of the worst drug/weapons running sections of the border would not make it a wise idea at all. I'm having a hard time talking Robi into going out blacklighting for minerals even on our own property!

Ouch!

I feel your pain and wish something would be done to protect our borders especially where that activity is common knowledge. I'm pretty naive and think that the federal government should somehow protect our borders against national security threats. Heck they wont even allow the states along the borders to do it themselves. I feel there must be corruption at the highest levels of government to allow that type of activity to be permitted to continue!

GG~

Last edited:

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
That SPOT device sounded pretty cool...... until I read the reviews on amazon.com.....
you may want to read all the 1-star reviews.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldchaser3,
Thank you for the update on the SPOT! Seems like it takes a stupid company to screw up a good product just like it takes a stupid government to screw up a good country!! Just ask all the immigrants (legal or illegal) in which country would they rather be in, it is a shame they just don't get it that They are Part of the Problem and NOT a part of the solution. Seems like the SPOT Messenger company is also a part of the problem.

I have the original model and it works first time all the time every time. I doubted it would work in heavy forest cover but it does. I doubted it would work in some of the tight canyons I get into but it does. I've never had battery problems with it of any kind save for the fact the stupid batteries just will not die so I can replace them.

I agree the manual and the website SUCK! The only customer service I've ever needed was when I had to press the 911 button and that service was superb!!! The Stupid part was that the Forest Service did not believe the information they got from the SPOT service and almost left me out there. If my Son had not shown up at their meeting and asked them to open up his web page so they could see all my messages and how I'd climbed up the back wall of the canyon and was now at this particular spot in their forest things may not have turned out as well. Again the SPOT company should have done a better job explaining their service to the responders. Once the rescue team realized the call was real they got right on it. However, three hours after I pushed the 911 button my brain alerted me to a sound, I was busy constructing a superb reflective fire pit, I pulled back from what I was doing and it was kind of like talking with another person, Like YEAH what do you want I'm busy? Listen came the response. I knew there was a sound somewhere that was different and as it got closer I was able to pick out the whomp whomp of a helicopter. Having a Good signal is really helpful in a situation like that. Also, rescue helicopters should have a window in the floor so the folks inside of it can look straight down because that was where I was at, the chopper was right above me but they could not see me.

So the company has some problems to figure out AND they have some customer service confidence to restore/build/implement/have some at all! When you get one that works it works DARN well! What an awful thing to have to say about a product. Sorry they went away from the original style as min works fine..........................63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Hoser John since you've been good enough to ask, the shoulder is coming along well especially with the exercises I've added to the PT one's. There is still pain in there and I do not have full movement yet but heck next week starts the 8th week since surgery and a lot was in there so I suppose I should expect to still have some pain and not full movement yet.

Now the porting and the Hogue Rubber Grips really help to tame my blunderbuss down a might though it still has a bit of a mule kick to it. Under adrenaline situations I never notice the kick or the boom until after the situation is all over!

The snake bite kit I carry does not have a cutting implement, it is built for suction only so I think I'm ok with having a hicky or two from it.

And yes with all of this I still go out backpacking by myself though of course, I am not near any border I need to worry about. For you foks in Texas and Arizona I do feel for you as Our Government is only using your pain for its gain, like getting voted into office because they support ILLEGAL ALIENS as that is the correct term for those folks. I feel for the illegals as well though as their countries don't care about them otherwise they would not be here. Stay Safe!....................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go on 40km, 3 day hikes in the alpine solo every year. The most important suggestion I can give would be to plan every part of the trip in advance and share it with a friend or family member. I leave them with a map of the route I will take and my planned areas of striking camp. I always have a set day and time that I will be back in cell reception range and will call them to let them know that I am out okay. They know that if I have not made contact with them for 6 hours after that set time that something is wrong and they should notify SAR. Never deviate from your plan and don't take unnecessary risks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread