home made gold concentrate classifiers

palmercanyonsavant

May 5, 2005
claremont So. call area
Detector(s) used
Garretts AT_PRO ,
Hey everyone been gone from this site for a while, Hope everyone is finding gold in your pans,sluices, high bankers, etc.

Hope this info might help those like me that don't want to pay high prices for classifiers plus shipping, here is my solution
hope this helps

Buy 4" or 6 " PVC couplers and sewage drain PCV pipe ( it is thin and flexable)

Cut PVC pipe 1/2" to 3/4" " longer than the insert depth but not to much longer or they will get stuck from sand , this will allow to stack various sizes to classify to you're liking.

some screens of various sizes ( and leave you're wifes kitchen flour sifters alone or you may regret it ).

some red hot blue PVC glue ( or like it )

cut the screens at least 1 inch bigger than pipe size, lay on top of pipe and center it, spread some glue inside of coupler on the side you are inserting the pipe and screen into , use a flat board and hammer to drive coupler onto pipe and screen ( a cool day or damp day allows more time before glue sets )

2013-05-09 19.02.17.jpg 2013-05-09 19.01.09.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea! Simple, inexpensive, easy to make and functional! What more could a prospector on a budget want?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If u want something bigger: $3-4 mesh trash basket from Ikea or dollar store. Either punch holes in bottom or remove it. If removed, then zip tie desired mesh screen or punch plate to bottom. Cut mesh oversized and fold excess up the sides, putting the zip ties low on the sides of the basket. Pick a basket that fits right into a 5 gal bucket and prepare to be amazed at your high speed classifying abilities!

Gold007

May 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Garrett pin pointer. I want a Garrett GTI 2500 or an AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job... that is some handy work

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty neat! I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets, cut the bucket down about halfway, take the mesh screen and a place it at the bottom of the bucket where I cut it and take a torch and lightly heat the bucket and metal mesh where it melts into the edge of the bucket, it sinks in hte plastic enough to hold it in place. I can also stack the buckets inside one another so I can classify the material down to the size I want to start panning at.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty neat! I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets, cut the bucket down about halfway, take the mesh screen and a place it at the bottom of the bucket where I cut it and take a torch and lightly heat the bucket and metal mesh where it melts into the edge of the bucket, it sinks in hte plastic enough to hold it in place. I can also stack the buckets inside one another so I can classify the material down to the size I want to start panning at.

If you sold those on Ebay I may have bought one from you.

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
I use the five gallon bucket as well. All I did was drill 1/4 in holes in bottom and sides of bottom, sink the holes a bit and used a lighter to clean up the rough edges. Works great and holds a lot more material than some other kinds. Also put some screws in the top to prevent it from wedging into the other five gallon I use to haul material.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sold those on Ebay I may have bought one from you.

Yeah logically thinking I thought about that to as well as my hand suction dredge but I figured it wouldn't do to well being that it would be easy to make.

I guess my time is pretty much limited being I am working out of town a lot and hadn't had a chance to even gold prospect! Dang, hope I can win part of the lottery so I can retire and do what I want to!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread