Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I quit my job in FL and retired last May. In June, we (Karen & I) moved to Northern CA to live out our lives. (that’s extreme NW CA to you northerner’s in Sacramento). Early retirement @ 55, wow! Living on a fixed income ain’t easy…but I'm not about to complain. It’s a modest sacrifice for the freedom to do what we want, when we want. But money/savings is always foremost in your mind. After all, it’s why we were able to do what we did. Nice little nest egg to get us by 6-7 years. Just chill till SS kicks in and makes life twice as easy. Of course, that nest egg is the holy grail and not to be touched.

Karen and I love to explore in the 4x4 and take pictures. So we go on lots of back road expeditions in the mountains. With me prospecting now, I'm looking at different types of maps and we begin seeing all the new places we would have never found before. Take this week for example.

I was bound and determined to get to the headwaters of a gold bearing creek I know of. I took lots of notes and had them stored in the computer. We up and went for a ride in the mountains and wound up in the very area I had been researching. We were using a gps but with no notes, it just didn't work out. A couple of days later, we do make it to all the points on my map and ALL access points are gated and/or fenced. Lots of claims, so a complete wash out. I did scoop the inlet of a culvert across the road from a claim, but that’s ALL I have to say about that. It’s a shame cuz the mouth of that creek is sooo good. But it'll have to do.

Two days later we check on the very first place I found decent gold, (remember my first 10 pans?) And surprise! The road has been cleared of the slide! YEA! But first, I gotta get some samples. As I’m digging in the same spot as before, twice I see a gold flake just laying on top of the sand and gravel in the trowel just before I put it thru the classifiers. This is gonna be a good day!

When I'm done, Karen’s walking out with me and says what’s that? I've been looking at pans, sand, rocks, gravel, a trowel, classifier, running water and a path…so it takes me a minute to focus on anything above my knees. In a tree, under some moss that didn't belong there, is a long pill bottle shape that has been intentionally camouflaged. It’s hanging on a branch with a twist tie. I take it down and it rattles. I open it up and there is a nice shiny clad quarter and a note inside…. I'll let her tell it as she did on her new geocache site:

“This was my first Geocache and I found it but wasn't looking for it. I saw it and said to my husband, "come here and look at this". He took it down and opened it and I was so excited when I realized what it was!!! I signed and dated it, looking at the list of previous treasure hunters before me and returned it to it's original spot. So, now here I am and can't wait to go look for one on purpose! Uh oh....I found a new hobby...geocaching... it really got me started! You get "treasure maps" online, then go Treasure Hunting. Found my first one up at my husbands gold creek location today. There are 534 geocaches within 30 miles of me! Wow...the possibilities are endless. That would average over 1000 within 60 miles of me!! That is so cool! Some people have had over 9,000 finds doing this. I feel a little awkward posting my first!"

So yesterday morning… I don't even know what happened:dontknow:…a vision or something. When I woke up early, I just knew what had to be done. Usually I analyze the cra* out of something when I get it in my head, but not today. I knew Karen likes to metal detect. Me too for that matter. But could we swing yet another prospecting tool? 2 hours later I was ready. When Karen got up, I explained that we are retired and should not put off something like this. Prospecting and detecting is currently under fire and we saw it first hand in FL. I told her I thought it was great she had found a new hobby that we both could share in and how about I make it even better and buy her a brand new metal detector?!! We should just get into this and for less than $200 and do it. Why not? Heck, you probably are going to find at least enough change to cover the cost of the detector…which I am not likely going to do while gold prospecting…but if we work together, you can geocache and metal detect the area while I prospect, while the dogs play by themselves…sunny…in the mountains, on the beach, on the river? What do you say? We can do it right now!

She’s like no way. $200 isn’t going to get us much. I told her technology and competition says otherwise. She said "Wow… Really? OK…which one?!!" I show her all of the price ranges, so she knows how much you COULD spend. Then I showed her my choice, the Tesoro Compadre. She says ok, now I want to try. She looks up the Tesoro and finds reviews. She goes right to the very first review (which I HAD NOT READ! HONEST!) and she goes “oh sure” and shows me where the reviewer says “it works GREAT for finding GOLD!” I plead not guilty but she was off on her own after that. Well, I was looking over her shoulder the whole time.

She absolutely nailed it with her choice of the Teknetics Alpha 2000 . Turns out she really does like the bells and whistles. Doh, I knew that! Less than $200, 6 months same as cash, free complete starter kit, no tax, no S&H? Really? It’s on its way! Thank you Kellycos! I’m so excited, I can’t even sleep.

(winner) Teknetics Alpha 2000 (option #1) $199.95 Teknetics Alpha 2000 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

( a respectable second place finish) Tesoro Compadre $160.65 w/accessories Tesoro Compadre Metal Detector Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

You know, people used to ask me what I was going to do when I retired and I told them (honestly) I don’t know. I know what I used to like. I’ve been living someone else’s life for so long, I don't even remember.

One year later…I know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work on early retirement! It must be nice having less stress caused by work. Welcome to GeoCaching! I discovered it when I was looking for an inexpensive hobby and found my first 50 without a GPS using google earth. I am up to 500 now and love it because people hide them at points of interest that you didn't realize were there. Wait till you start getting into the coins and trackables. The real good stuff is always there for the "first to find" or FTF, but competition is fierce. I have received an email at 11:30 at night, jumped in my car and raced up a logging road only to have tail lights in front of me and head lights behind me. Once you reach your destination, everyone bails out and the search begins. Loads of fun!! There is usually something special for the FTF.
The caching community is full of great people and there are caching events all the time where they get together for bbq's.
If you have any questions on caching, send me a message. I'd be more than happy to help you. :)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Jeff... Congrats on the early retirement thing. I had hoped to do the same but have rethought that and have decided to start up another business instead. I had my own business doing installations for computer systems for about 15 years and then I moved to Georgia. Went back to working for others and it didn't take long for me to remember why I had been my own boss for so long. Most bosses are sooooo Stoopid!!!! Both of the companies I worked for in Georgia had the Master/Slave mentality. First one was 12 hours a day for 13 days straight then a whole day off and repeat. Pretty much the same at the second place only it was 14 hour days. The money was good but what good does that do if you don't have time or energy to spend any of it?

The next business is going to be making kits for R/C airplanes out of the shop here at the house. I'll be in charge and get the pleasure of designing, and testing new models all the time. Now... I just need to figure out how to have R/C planes hunting out gold for me to dig up on the weekends.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a business near Auburn, Ca. that flew an r/c over mining claims, real estate, etc. taking close-up overheads - you've probably heard of such - don't
know if they were profitable.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to stick 10 top of the line fish finders in an array on an RC and see if it works, someone tried it with a few on a real car but they were too high off the ground to work. Be perfect for Australia "nugget RCing"
I guess it would be a big RC maybe more dune buggy lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GI, I don't think I know one person who is happy with their job. I've had some great ones, but they are like happiness, always fleeting.
And yes, jump on the current craze of drones. Get a nice fat contract from uncle sam and have fun doing it!

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a early retirement from GM and metal detect all year around here in southern California

Life is good when your doing what you want to do when you want to do it

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sounds like you and your lady are happy with the new life style, I'm glad for the two of you....Rob

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently retired too. I live in Tennessee but have never been further west since I was a small child. Spent time in North Dakota in the Air Force. But my life long dream is to just start driving and visit all of the west. No special time to move from one place to the next, just drive and stop when you want and then move on till I am ready to stop again. Want to see the canyons and the north west just ziz zagging thru the country. Down to Arizona,California Yellowstone to redwoods. All along with metaly detector and camera in hand.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Rob and thanks for the assistance you provided.

You will definitely need both Phil. I don't want to give away my spot anymore than others. PM me if you want to see what your missing. But...if you come you will see why people here would rather live in poverty then leave.8-)

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to stick 10 top of the line fish finders in an array on an RC and see if it works, someone tried it with a few on a real car but they were too high off the ground to work. Be perfect for Australia "nugget RCing"
I guess it would be a big RC maybe more dune buggy lol.

I saw a video with an ATV dragging four or five coils around Aust. outback.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol I always see stuff and think why didn't I think of that. Maybe we should file a patent call it Quadlab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread