Long trip.... and worth every mile!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Days 1 thru 3...

Took off from home the afternoon of Sunday the 28th, made a quick stop about
100 miles south at my brothers place and then headed straight down I-5. Knowing
it was 1200+ miles to Ken's house down in Calif., the plan was to run as hard
as I could till fatigue stepped in and I had to have a short nap, then get going again.

Ran all night, and the first rest stop was in Dunnigan, CA. at what used to be one of
the best, old-time truck stops in Calif. It’s a Pilot Truck Stop now, but it used to be known
as “Pantyhose Junction”. The waitresses there wore shorter skirts (in today’s world ladies
commonly wear much shorter skirts..lol), the food was always lousy but the conversation
was good. Only thing the cooks couldn’t screw up were eggs and biscuits with gravy..and
they sold a lot of both!

This time I just bought gas there, and was feeling a bit sad at seeing “what was” be no more.

After a 2 hr. nap I took off again, got into Sacramento and then headed down Hwy. 99. Made
a stop in Fresno for lunch and shot down towards Bakersfield, taking the turn-off for Hwy. 58
and the run over the Tehachapi Mtns. My ’87 Toyota 4x4 is no powerhouse, and the 4-banger
(22R-E motor) was working hard pulling up some of the grades, but over we went and soon
I was at Hwy. 58 (aka: Kramer Jct.) My friends lived close to where 395 runs into I-15, and within
an hour was in Oak Hills, relaxing on Ken’s back porch with a cold beer and waiting for he and his wife
to get home from work.

Plenty of pizza, beer and memories of old times that night, but we called it an early night so we
could head out early enough to get a days work in on one of the GPAA claims.

Ken and I had both recently joined the GPAA, so before I ever left home we had selected 3 GPAA
claim locations we wanted to prospect.

Tuesday - Day 3
After loading my gear into Ken’s Blazer, we headed out for the Lytle Creek area. Unfortunately, we
were only 2 miles from it when Ken’s truck took a dump on us, and refused to restart. We finally
got it going again by using some starting fluid, and headed straight back to his house for my truck.
His Blazer was continuously stalling, and it took us about 3 hrs. to make the 30 min. drive back to
his place; quick swap of the gear to my Toyota. a stop at MickeyD’s for lunch and we got back into
the prospecting area by about 2:30.

Ken had never used a sluice, so we carried my Keene A51 down to the small creek running through
the valley. Most of the creek area looked like good material to me, so we just picked a spot and set
up the sluice so I could give Ken some tips.

Trip043013a 006.JPG

Huge riverbed there, and in most spots it was at least 100 yds. wide. Took a few test pans and found
a few little flypoop specks, so we decided to take material from a dozen different spots and just run it
through the sluice. Unfortunately, at the end of the day we ended up with only the few specks I found in
the test pans, and nothing of visible size in the sluice concentrates. There is bound to be some good
gold left in this canyon, and now that he understands sluicing a bit he plans to go back and spend a few
days just prospecting the area in hopes of finding a pocket or two.

Snow was on the way when I left home, and 2 days later I’m working outside in nearly 90F.
evil.gif

Pretty much exhausted from both the long drive and the heat, I hit the sack just after sundown.

...to be continued

Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dizzy,
I'm late on getting to read your Superb Share with all of us, what fun! Old friends, in the 'outback', back in favourite "surroundings", a little gold, great views, run ins with the weather general fun and enjoyment with some discomfort I know it well and look forward to a trip like yours in the next 8 months. Thank you for sharing and taking your time to have us along with you!.............63bkpkr

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great reading Dizz!

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Received a number of new "likes" about this, and I'm really glad
to know folks enjoyed the story.

This was truly a momentous trip, but sadly it can't be repeated
as Ken passed away in May of 2014. Our long friendship was the reason
I traveled down to Cal., and the the SOB suddenly up's and dies just a few
months later.

Trip050213 042.jpg

Ken is on the left in this pic, and on the right is Freddy, another friend
that Ken and I grew up with. The 3 of us got into plenty of tight spots
as teens...usually because we were caught bass fishing in closed and
fenced reservoirs ..:laughing7:

Ken may be gone, but the memories remain, and that's what made this
trip so special. If there's a river in the Great Beyond, I've got no doubt he's
already staked out a claim.

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh Mike. I always knew you were a rebel. You got an invite from me to you for 2017 and tunes just for you (what a long strange trip it's been)...

Thanks Jeff...and sure do appreciate the offer. I'm starting the plan for making another
"long trip" in 2017. All depends on how good of condition I can get both my out-of-shape
arse, and the 'Ol Toyota in. :occasion14:

Gotta love Jerry Reed..:icon_thumright:

My truckin' music runs the whole spread; Meatloaf, Bon Jovi, Neil Diamond, Sabbath,
Paul Potts ... plus some classic country like Jerry Reed, Mel Tillis , Marty Robbins.
Yeah, a real confusing mix..8-)

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received a number of new "likes" about this, and I'm really glad
to know folks enjoyed the story.

This was truly a momentous trip, but sadly it can't be repeated
as Ken passed away in May of 2014. Our long friendship was the reason
I traveled down to Cal., and the the SOB suddenly up's and dies just a few
months later.

View attachment 1379990

Ken is on the left in this pic, and on the right is Freddy, another friend
that Ken and I grew up with. The 3 of us got into plenty of tight spots
as teens...usually because we were caught bass fishing in closed and
fenced reservoirs ..:laughing7:

Ken may be gone, but the memories remain, and that's what made this
trip so special. If there's a river in the Great Beyond, I've got no doubt he's
already staked out a claim.

Yea Mike! A great read that I missed back then :) Thanks for the trip, I really enjoyed reading this adventure :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread