Indiana Gold

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
My GPAA book says almost all of Indiana is decent gold country. I know of a place in SE Indiania that might have some gold and I have permission to look. Holler if you're interested.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the GPAA , Brown's northern 3rd. was covered by glaciers, Salt cr. and its branches, Greasy cr. , the Upper Bean Blossom Cr. and the Lick and Bear Cr. ?have gold in them. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? the northern 3rd. of morgan co. white lick, sycamore, and its tributary, gold cr. highland, lambs, burkhearts, fall, and butler creeks. and occurs in all creeks in the south part of the county. the best DEAD MAN'S HOLLOW. abt. 7 mi. s. of martinsville. in west morgan co. near ?burkhearts settlement aboiut 5 mi nw of paragon. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?BY THE WAY, in MORGAN COUNTY, John Dillinger is supposed to have Burried $600,000.00 on a 10 acre farm, belonging to his father. According to the F.B.I. ?NEAR MOORESVILLE ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

goldther

Nov 30, 2004
il
Detector(s) used
fisher,minelab,fx,2-box
Hi;
hunted gold creek about 20 years ago and found color(not much but some)mostly private property and posted. Stop in the town and pick up a local map at the town hall or public works bldg. I think we went in at the creek area owned by a girls school and worked upstream. It is only fine gold ,stuff the ice brought down. I am not saying that there are no nuggets but I wouldn't hold my breath trying to find one. I found most colors by pulling grass at the creek edge then panning, (similar to mossing) hope this helps,Bob P/s watch the chiggers in the high grass ,they will have you for dinner.

P

prospector49

Prospecting goes on in Indiana all the time. I am a member of the Southern Indiana GPAA gold club. Our website is www.geocities.com/southernindianagpaa/ . Our club has unlimited access to a creek in Gatesville, Indiana. Placer gold is found there where ever you dig. Anyone is welcome and there is no charge and if you would like to join the club, it free too. No club dues or anything like that. Just a group of people having a good time. Email Hank on the site if you have any questions, he would be glad to help in any way.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone do any good around NW Indiana around the Kankakee river :headbang: :headbang:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one try in NW Indiana at all? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a creek in NW'ish IN yesterday. Very swift current, very hard clay bottom, some sand areas/gravel areas/bigger rock areas and deep holes. Under cuts the lands around it, lots of washouts leading into it, lots of uprooted trees and gravel spills on the edges. Got the biggest black sand I've found so far this year, lots and lots of shiny gold specs that stayed behind the other black sands in the pan. When dried out and check with my microscope viewer, it was just some sort of black sand that has shiny gold spots marbled in with green/red/purple colors also. Lots of micro garnet stones, micro pink/clear/green/yellow/orange clear stones also. No gold. :(

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The up rooted trees is where I would hit first....after that i would do a little looking for the flood level and pull some weeds and shake the roots in the pan...there is gold everywhere just have to get deep enough to get to it.....a little hint that might help some also is if you cut into a bank in a good looking spot and see what looks like rust....scoop out that layer and pan that ......and see whats up .....I have always got color when doing that.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so everyone knows everything I use is homebuilt and WAY cheaper than buying from KEEN and the other big boys....Guess what....I STILL FIND GOLD IN INDIANA........ :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,610
  • SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    SUNP0001.....1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,468

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I like the pics of those, can you post more pictures of them?

I am currently making another sluice and I want to incorporate a sifter/classifier before the slick plate so I don't have to classify into the buckets first. However I am worried this will cut the flow of the water into the sluice too much. It looks like you have a similar idea/setup on the first one.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just a screen basket I found that has a lip that will sit down on my sluice, normally I wouldn't use it but it makes it so much easier for the kids. they either over load the sluice box or get bored fast not seeing anything...lol.. There is a 1.5 inch clearance below screen to the box...I have the kids shake it or like slide it side to side and throw out what is left after they look for COOL rocks...lol

Attachments

• SUNP0002.jpg
    SUNP0002.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4,987

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Haha ya, I was panning some river up in the mtns last year where some families also swim/wade and some kids there were bringing me chunks of mica and other rocks asking me to id them. They got so excited when I showed em some bright red garnets and some ruby sphalerite in my pan. Pretty soon I had all the kids in the area shaking pans in the river and hunting rocks. They had no idea how to pan right (I tried to show em but you know how kids are) but they were having fun and I would wager some of those kids look at rocks in a whole new way now.

Thanks for the explanation it seems like a good idea. I'm not sure if i will incorporate a similar design yet, right now my new sluice box design is like the picture below. But I want to have some water running into the top of the classifying screen so I dont have to pour water in. Would save some time.

Attachments

• Imgp2512.jpg
    Imgp2512.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,583

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well see thats the thing with mine the basket sits in the water about a half inch, so when you shake it you dont have to pour water... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Mortifercain

Aug 11, 2011
indiana
anyone try the white river between anderson and munci ? i have 2 old jacuzi pumps laying around and im thinking of making a rugged sleuth box or maybe a huge blue bowl lol. im new in this sport went to salt creek 2 days ago didnt do so well a few flakes verry small spent like hours had a blast tho :thumbsup:

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a creek in NW'ish IN yesterday. Very swift current, very hard clay bottom, some sand areas/gravel areas/bigger rock areas and deep holes. Under cuts the lands around it, lots of washouts leading into it, lots of uprooted trees and gravel spills on the edges. Got the biggest black sand I've found so far this year, lots and lots of shiny gold specs that stayed behind the other black sands in the pan. When dried out and check with my microscope viewer, it was just some sort of black sand that has shiny gold spots marbled in with green/red/purple colors also. Lots of micro garnet stones, micro pink/clear/green/yellow/orange clear stones also. No gold. :(
You may want to roast then smelt the black sand with gold specks. Some black sand can be very valuable

jsmith69

Nov 22, 2013
Holton, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My name is Jimmie and I live in the Versailles are in SE Indiana. I have prospected the are some and love going, but have not ever found much. If you want someone to go with sometime just let me know, I do have some equipment we can use if you like. You can reach me at [email protected] or try here. I am not on here to much this is one of the cold days. lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread