Southern Minnesota Gold?

jgl923

May 22, 2013
Bird Island, Mn
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi,
I'm new here as you can tell. I have had the 'bug' for a few decades now, ever since I was a kid living on the outskirts of Vegas finding rose quartz rocks in the deserts...

Anyway, I've landed in Mn, and have taken to the idea that I might actually find something of interest around here. Anyone have any luck prospecting in southern Mn?

I've done some studying of the laws here, and it seems you can basically only Pan, no dredges or sluices on public lands with-out permits and the like.

Anyone out there that has ANY insight into the legalities of Mn, or where your last big find was (LMAO - just kidding) please speak up, or feel free to IM me.

Thanks,
Jim in BI

Last edited:
Upvote 0

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Jim, welcome to the forums! I'm from central MN, haven't prospected much in the southern part of the state but I've got a few resources for you to check out if you haven't already.
There's a Facebook "Gold Prospectors of Minnesota" you can sign up for, it's pretty active and a great resource. Also, check out umwgold.com as another resource. Hope that gives you a good start!

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I see your in bird island I would be panning in any creeks around your area or rivers and creeks that drain into the minnesota river there has been hardrock gold mines in that area in redwood falls and by delhi....also a spot that looked interesting is beaver falls county park check that out and report back...lotsa bedrock...unfortunatly all we can do in mn is pan thats why alot of us have changed to using the pyramid pro pan from fossicker it allows one to pan alot more material very quickly.

cdoghines

Apr 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim just moved to bird island myself maybe we could share info of what we find

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@mattfink...you mentioned using high production pans...have folks there tried the Garrett SuperSluice pan? I got one for free from Freddy Dodge (he gets a lot of stuff given to him since he's a tv star now lol) because he didn't like it. It is kinda heavy but I really like how it's riffles work and it's deep enough that I can pan into it(!) with a 10" finish pan. It seems to me that it might make a good high production pan :-)

Just wondering...

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya I have a garrett super sluice but the pyramid is way more productive

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok thanks, good to know :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions