East fork san gabriel river

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't go as often as I want too. I love it. I always find gold at the Heaton Flats Bend. My avatar is Heaton Flats gold from last Oct.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When are you planning to go Alex? I've been considering a trip. Could meet at the bottom of the hill.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's too bad. Hope you get to go again soon.

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Alex, my 14 year old son and I are going up sometime soon. Let me know if you are interested in going. We will be coming from Rancho Santa Margarita. My husband says it's not worth it too but I get 8 hours of exercise, I get to be in the great outdoors, it makes me feel like a kid again playing in the mud, and that makes it worth it to me. And I'm pretty sure my son would love to have someone to hang with other than me! Plus it's exciting to find a little color to boot. ;-P

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell your dad and husband that y'all should stop by The New Calgold in West Covina Cash for Gold in West Covina CA | West Covina Pawn on the way up to East Fork. They buy much of the gold that comes from the area. They can show you vials of dust, flakes, and chunks that came out of the East Fork.

At the bottom of the hill by all the puddles and pools, the pickins are slim. If you head up the river, I have taken fingernail size flakes out near the bridge. See, everybody prospects at the bottom of the hill. Hike up the hill towards the bridge to nowhere, and find a nice spot. Your spouses might get surprised.

Mike

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mike and Alex, I went up to EF for my second time ever visiting or panning today, still stayed in the area below the parking before the white bridge because I was trying to find a new friend I met last weekend. I dug 4 test buckets and panned each of them slowly to see which bucket would give some color. I got color from all 4 but one was the best and all of the larger pieces in this pic was from that bucket. Next time I go, I'm gonna head toward Heaton Flats to choose a spot. Not sure I'll make it alone with all the tools but will try.

Attachments

• image-477094786.jpg
    image-477094786.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 157

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice gold Sherry! FWIW, a couple trowels, rock pick, couple pans,
classifier and a folding shovel fit well into a daypack. Should still
be room for plenty of drinking water and a sammich if'n ya
get hungry..8-)

Alex: I started off gold prospecting back in the 1970's right
there in the EF San Gabriel, and I hear it's still givin' up a lot
of nice gold today. Always did my best when I turned over big
rocks and panned the material underneath them (you'll need
your dad's help for this).

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic RMSSherry...Looks like you got the "fever" :) ..Just an FYI that you might appreciate..We have a local guy, Ray Kobler in Hesperia, (aka, deserdog) that builds a great piece of, inexpensive, equipment that I won't leave home without...especially when going to EF..It's a hand dredge..it gets you right down on the bedrock and crevices, is light weight and easy to use..IMHO..especially for a newby, it should be one of your first purchases..Ray has an ebay store and builds quite a selection of tools to choose from..He'd probably deliver it to you personally at Cajon Creek, in the Cajon Pass..He's goes there to test his equipment..It's probably closer to you than EF but it's not as productive..You can also google him for more info..He's a real gentleman and takes a lot of pride in his product...Enjoy

Hand Dredge Combo 20 inch Super Gold Sucker w Nozzles and 12 inch Sniper II | eBay

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info Herby. Yes after finding the spot with the gold yesterday and knowing that I can't get it with a point tip shovel, I was up most of the night on YouTube. I saw several types and blended a few ideas into my own design, I've got the parts this morning and now just need to assemble. Also made myself a dry sluice this morning. Yesterday on my way to EF, I stopped by Home Depot at I-210 and bought some items to make a narrow 36 inch sluice with mat, carpet and grate and then built it at my car in the parking lot before going down to the river. Lots of fun testing out my own little design. Panning my cons right now!!!

YES, I'VE GOT THE FEVER BAD...
REAL BAD!!!! ;-P

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RSMSherry WOW! I did not have that kind of success that early in the game. You are a natural. If you are going to be panning for a while I would get a size 12 classifier. Put it right on top of your pan, load it with material, squeeze the pan and classifier together and plunge the whole thing under water, Shake vigorously. Pan out your pan and 99% of your gold will be there. pour whats leftover in the classifier into your pan and check it well. Big flakes and nuggets will be in that pan. If you are really serious get a Bazooka Gold Trap. It does all the classifying for you and leaves you with a pan of smalls and lots of Gold. Keep up the fantastic job and post pics please.

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos RS..I know it's fun, but you gotta curb/control your McGiver side ;) ..some things can be bought cheaper than you can make them yourself..and you can use your time diggin.....s'cuse me..gotta get back to tryin to figger out how to put a hand crank on my wife's vacuum clearer before she gets home ;) ...

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldenmojo, I have already hit my husband up to buy me the Super Mini Bazooka when I got home at 11:30pm last night! Like I said... I've got the fever real bad! LOL!!!

Herby D, who do you think taught McGiver?!!! ;-P and you are right, it is up to me!

Have a great day guys!

RMSSherry Coming home at 11:30 and then asking the spouse to support a decision to purchase a supermini? Hey that's how I got mine. Here is my supermini in action. And the take. Your Gold production is going to go up now......

IMG_1737.JPG IMG_2550.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread