Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I went "prospecting" with my metal detector today. No gold...27 cents and misc cra*...I posted in todays finds if you're interested...but check this out. I did not get a tone on this rock, but wtf is a piece of volcanic rock doing here on this river bank?!! My first thought was meteorite but wth do I know? Mount Saint Helen's? Planted???? Speculations, SWAG's are encouraged:thumbsup:
011.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg

Hmm, I should have posted something to show scale. It's about the size of a grapefruit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff95531, I could tell it was the size of a grapefruit because it looked about the size of my head. Anyway.

Is it magnetic though I'd guess not as your detector did not overload? It does look like it has gas bubbles. From the picture I see two colors a black and a brown, is that what it is in real life? Is it physically heavy or light in weight? It appears to have sharp edges as well as rounded ones. If it were broken I wonder if it would look like Obsidian, that is a glassy fracture surface? Way too big for a petrified fish dropping but then maybe not?

I agree, it is something completely different! (In case you've noticed, I am on a wild streak tonight! Just havin fun)

Island_Hunter

Mar 31, 2013
Nanaimo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen pieces just like that in gas fireplaces, BBQ grills and pits. If it's not native to your area, maybe someone dumped some stuff out there and it worked it's way to where you found it. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff95531, I could tell it was the size of a grapefruit because it looked about the size of my head. Anyway.

Is it magnetic though I'd guess not as your detector did not overload? It does look like it has gas bubbles. From the picture I see two colors a black and a brown, is that what it is in real life? Is it physically heavy or light in weight? It appears to have sharp edges as well as rounded ones. If it were broken I wonder if it would look like Obsidian, that is a glassy fracture surface? Way too big for a petrified fish dropping but then maybe not?

I agree, it is something completely different! (In case you've noticed, I am on a wild streak tonight! Just havin fun)

Not magnetic. It does have gas bubbles. The colors also include rust and gray. It is very light compared to it's size.
I've seen volcanic rock as a child in ID, along with obsidian. This rock definitely does not belong to the area in which it was found. Way too fragile to survive among the similar sized but way heavier normal river rock.

and I too had a little bit of fun last night. Karen went to bed early and what a coincidence, the bar opened at the same time:laughing7: I just got up LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen pieces just like that in gas fireplaces, BBQ grills and pits. If it's not native to your area, maybe someone dumped some stuff out there and it worked it's way to where you found it. Just a thought.

I agree. Since we targeted camping spots on the river because of the 3 day weekend, someone MUST have dumped it there. My wife said it smelled like smoke too.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
could be slag..if it is volcanic...there are numerous sites it could be from...i was up on the russian river for a while..found the strangest things in that water...

Interesting:
(Per wiki) "Slag is a partially vitreous by-product of the process of smelting ore, which separates the desired metal fraction from the unwanted fraction. Slag is usually a mixture of metal oxides and silicon dioxide. However, slags can contain metal sulfides and metal atoms in the elemental form. While slags are generally used to remove waste in metal smelting, they can also serve other purposes, such as assisting in the temperature control of the smelting, and minimizing any re-oxidation of the final liquid metal product before the molten metal is removed from the furnace and used to make solid metal."

Maybe an old mining by-product?:dontknow:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to decipher "SWAG"!! Its hard being from pre-social media era. Swig Wine And Guess?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Grasshopper! You want some wild geology you need to head on down my way. We've got volcanic rocks in just about any color ya want. It's been driving me nuts! Will e-mail you later if the computer keeps working for a change. Time to replace this dinosaur for sure!

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
its basalt ( a little copper maybe) but Basalt... pretty .. might even float if its dried out ... lol basalt.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread