Clay/ mud?

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in my San Diego Gold thread, but no hits in a couple days since I posted it, so I'll ask here.....

Ok so I have mentioned that the best gold has come from the top couple feet of gravel at my hole. It seems that about 3' down is a 1"-2" layer of claylike mud. It's too stiff to call mud and too thin and liquidy to call clay, yet I really have to work to break it up in classifier and mix it to stratify in pan. Below this layer is more gravel, so it seems to be working as a clay layer.... Anyone ever run into this before? I almost feel like this was a vegetation layer at one point?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's slim to none, and much smaller in the second layer of gravel. But still gotta work down to bedrock. My deepest point is prob 4 1/2' deep in a small seasonal creek. Based on the size of the rocks I'm digging behind and under, I'm hoping just a couple more feet to bedrock.....

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my little hole Sid. Haven't taken a pic in a couple trips, as I've forgotten before hand, and water is too muddy afterwards as the creek has just about stopped moving.

Attachments

• image-2960705914.png
    image-2960705914.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always gotta go to bedrock! if you can. Remember a stretch up on the Feather River. Found good gold above, moved down around the inside corner, shallow, big rocks worked down to a red and black layer w/ clay on it. Found abit of gold on it, but instead of traveling w/ the gold and clay, we went down. Had to see bottom. We picked and pryed our way down 10'+ w/ no bedrock in sight. Ran out of water for the 8" and way too much work for no gold in the black and red cemented material. Still wonder how much farther down to bedrock and if anything on it. Last year up there and never went back.

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think it would do me any good to hit bedrock where I'm at. The dredges overturned that whole valley up through the 1950's, and I'm pretty sure everything I find is flood gold. My color thins out after about 3 feet. Still, that gives me quite a bit of gravel to work with.

So, just a couple more feet huh? :)

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm hoping just a few more feet... No signs of dredges anywhere around. Way too small a body of water,and I didn't find this hole unti water flow had already slowed, and so this has all been shovel and pan so far, can't bring in a high banker or recirculator as restricted on this piece of BLM land :-(

I will continue to work this hole thru the summer and into winter when I can finally run a sluice. I am looking at the whole area now, and while I have no proof yet, I think the staging area I have been using for my gear could be a ledge.... It's the only "bank" on the creek anywhere for a mile. Thanks for the input guys.

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay, I just found a clay layer at my spot. River is so low that I can get right into the middle of it. I got maybe 2-3 feet down and a shovel full came up with that gold/orange colored mud/clay - whatever it is. Very sticky and claylike. First time I've seen it in this area so was surprised. All my gold has been in the top 2 feet so far, disappearing further down - flood gold. Here in the middle of the river I imagine I'm lower than I ever get up on the banks. So when I see this clay I quickly get a pan full and work it out. Less in numbers, but WAY bigger specks and flakes. I do another pan - same thing. Way better looking gold than the flour I've been getting.

It was time to go by then, so I packed up and headed to the car. Still thinking about this though. I can't wait to get back out there and really dig that area up. Being in the middle of the river it fills back in as quickly as I can dig it - but at least I'm seeing something new. Maybe I'll try up on the bank where I can work easier and keep it cleared. I really want to see what's under that layer. I have no idea where bedrock is on that river but imagine it's way down there.

Anyone know how those layers gather and what they mean? All my rocks went from 2-4 inches (top layer) to 5-8 inches (middle layer) and back to 2-4 or 5 inches right at the clay. That mud is still loose and mixed lightly with small gravel - so not even close to being packed yet. Must mean it's still a fairly new deposit?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Dan,

When we were working that area I told you about out by the Estates we ran into a clay layer as well. We would run the clay through a screen to help break it up. From what you're saying it sounds to me like you're into a layer of what I call "flood silt" instead of clay. True clay in that area could be used to make pottery if you get enough of it!

Water and its seasonal nature in that area has always been a problem for us small timers. It still is for me even though the monsoon season is in full swing out here. It can be pouring in town and out here at the property all we see of it is some lightning and thunder. Makes for a great show but lousy water levels in our washes.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I think you are right, this is kind of a silty, muddy flood layer... I've only taken limited gravel from this hole since its been dry, but I continue to find gold. It's hard digging while bone dry, as its like chipping away at concrete. Can't wait till first snow in Julian, as that will start the water works that will once again irrigate my "honey hole" :-)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
...And with a little luck wash down more gold out of them thar hills!

Speaking of hills.... When Robi and I were on our way to the house in Ramona we came in via sunrise highway. We stopped at one of the pull-outs just west of the Blue Jay Lodge where you could see all the way down into the desert. Great view and I could see several stream beds running through the canyons. I couldn't help but wonder about the status of the land at the base of the mountain and just how much gold has built up in those streams over the years. Early spring would be a great time to go check them out before it gets hot and the water dries up. I've also got a friend that lives near "Scissors Crossings" that said he'd loan me his drywasher next time we're out there. This is the guy that got me into prospecting all those years ago. I'll see what I can find out on the status of those lands before I head back out there and maybe we can get together and give it the once over while I'm there.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me! Ya it is an amazing view from a couple of those pull offs. I was there this winter while there was still snow and ice on the ground at sunrise hwy, and it still looked bone dry and desolate looking at Anza Borego below.

anzayounggun

Mar 16, 2015
state of jefferson
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter (For Now)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
surounding scissors crossing is all State Park land would be good to go down sentenac cyn though for old water falls or at the san felipe ciegna

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread