Selenium, Mercury and Suction Dredging -- Studies Contradict California State Water R

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Selenium, Mercury and Suction Dredging -- Studies Contradict California State Water Resources Board - Miner's News - ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal

get this out to buds, spread the news

There is no doubt that mercury and methyl mercury are hazardous substances when absorbed by humans through contact or when consumed within food in large quantities.

Federal and state regulatory agencies often cite mercury and methyl mercury in our waterways as a major factor for further restrictions on placer mining, and on suction gold dredge mining, in particular.

However, these regulatory agencies are minimizing selenium and its neutralizing effects.

In the Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (DSEIR) on suction dredging published by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife in 2011, the agency calls the evidence of selenium neutralization “lacking” despite numerous studies to the contrary.

The DSEIR reads, “Evidence from laboratory experiments has shown that selenium may be able to moderate the toxic effects of Hg when present at a molar ratio greater than around 1:1, and that most fish in the United States contain high enough levels of selenium to make this a possibility. However, epidemiological support for this phenomenon is lacking, and the limited evidence gives mixed results.”

In contrast to the claims made by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, numerous scientific studies have shown that selenium—a common element in soils and waterways—binds with mercury and methyl mercury to neutralize it.

Raymond and Ralston, in Mercury: selenium interactions and health implications, state, “Measuring the amount of mercury present in the environment or food sources may provide an inadequate reflection of the potential for health risks if the protective effects of selenium are not also considered. Selenium’s involvement is apparent throughout the mercury cycle, influencing its transport, biogeochemical exposure, bioavailability, toxicological consequences, and remediation.

“Likewise, numerous studies indicate that selenium, present in many foods (including fish), protects against mercury exposure. Studies have also shown mercury exposure reduces the activity of selenium dependent enzymes. While seemingly distinct, these concepts may actually be complementary perspectives of the mercury-selenium binding interaction. Owing to the extremely high affinity between mercury and selenium, selenium sequesters mercury and reduces its biological availability.”

Dr. TW Clarkson of the University of Rochester, New York, published a study on the effects of methyl mercury exposure after nearly fifty years of research. Clarkson concluded that consuming fish that contained typical mercury levels would have no adverse effects.

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The State government is has zero interest of protecting it citizens or it resources, its only interest is furthering its agenda....:BangHead:

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NOt sure why this is not getting any attention, cuz this is good news for dredgers, Click on the link for the whole story folks

Oakview i agree, The State government is has zero interest of protecting it citizens

Suction Gold Dredges Are Part of The Solution!Common sense dictates a two-part solution. First, introduce selenium. Selenium levels could be increased in fertilizers with minimal cost. It's already been proven to have a positive effect in Finland.

Second, encourage suction gold dredging. Yes, you heard that right. There is mercury in our waterways, some of it from historic mining activities. There is no dispute on this fact. Historic miners did not foresee the problems they were creating for future generations when they used mercury for capturing gold, but today’s miners have a solution.

Mercury in our waterways is going to be disturbed and transported whether or not suction gold dredgers are in the water. During a large storm, an entire riverbed can be scoured to bedrock, and all material—including mercury—is on the move. Some of that mercury will become methylated.

Mercury is heavy and is attracted to gold, so much of it is captured along with the gold in the riffles of a dredge. Even if a dredge captures only 97% of the mercury it sucks up, it’s logical to allow suction gold dredgers to capture and remove it from our waterways before it gets disturbed by fast moving waters and enters the food chain.

Allowing dredgers to remove mercury from our waterways will benefit the environment and give a boost to the economy in tough times.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually it did cause a stir when it first came out, but again our state government has zero interest in hard scientific evidence, but takes whatever the Center for Biodiversity spews out as scientific gospel...:BangHead:

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that 99% of the battle with the sheeple is all in perception. Mention the word mining to most folks and images of giant explosions and mountains being leveled in strip mining are conjured up. Rather than being gold dredgers why couldn't we be environmentalists dedicated to ridding our rivers of lead, mercury, and trash. Heck we might get Obama to fund us and give us tax break. Might get access to areas that are now off limits as well. Any thoughts on starting a group of river remediators?

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Im in to start a group. I have a B.S. in environmental science and policy but im on the bad side according to the extremists. Sad to say that the environuts have us outnumbered. The key is kids. The enviro nuts want to protect their kids and save the world for them. We need kids dredging and taught the truth that dredging and highbanking is good for the river! As long as the banks and roots are left alone dredging creates trout and aquatic insect habitat as well as removes toxic chemicals. The envirofreaks and us prospectors are very similar people who cherish the outdoors. Our mindsets about how to protect is the thing thats different. Conservation through recreation is the only process that is proven to work. Instead of raising the dredging permit price and opening up new areas, we american people are loosing our freedom one RSA at a time. Soon i fear all mororized mining will be a thing of history. Except for this metal hound!!! Im never stopping, just loading more rounds!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that 99% of the battle with the sheeple is all in perception. Mention the word mining to most folks and images of giant explosions and mountains being leveled in strip mining are conjured up. Rather than being gold dredgers why couldn't we be environmentalists dedicated to ridding our rivers of lead, mercury, and trash. Heck we might get Obama to fund us and give us tax break. Might get access to areas that are now off limits as well. Any thoughts on starting a group of river remediators?

Welcome to tnet - excellent post. "River Remediators" is a great name for a non-profit 501(c)3 org. You and Grizzly can Private Message me
if you are serious.

Last edited:

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the degree, but I've been an EHS professional for about 8 years now. (Environmental Safety & Health) I'd be interested in helping put together a group like this. I hate big government and would love the opportunity to laugh at them all the way to the bank. I was reading a thread on the New 49's site earlier that gave me the idea. Everyone was posting pictures and talking about the hundreds of pounds of lead they recover while dredging. One thing I've learned in my years of dealing with sometimes questionable rules, is it's all about the approach you take in dealing with them...with people as well. There may be more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd already been thinking I should change my user name on here. I don't know what other venue to use to make contact with like minded folks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread