looking for someone who has panned or sluiced swift river in Maine.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
The swift river has been pounded by guys for many many years. Most all of the famous nuggets found in bryon have been had already. This fact that very large pieces have been found here attracts many people like the wild am in NH. The thing about bryon maine is that almost every stream in the area has decent gold. Noone will just tell u exactly where to go but my suggestion is to get thoes pans dirty. Start where everyone else does on the east branch and have fun. If you like back breaking work for pennies an hour then you will have a ball!!! I know i do!!

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello there Grizzlygrmln, yeah i'm not far from Byron and have tried to pan over the years with not much success but sluicing has got my interest, also have tried panning creeks and streams not far from me here in western maine and all I find is garnet no black sand to speak of sometimes do lucky will find some tourmaline

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
You have to work the crevices and fissures. Best time is July through September when the river level is down and there is a lot of exposed dry bedrock that was pounded during Spring runoff.

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got 2 small nuggets up there one year just digging out small potholes on exposed bedrock that was 5 feet above the river,was august/sept I think.The nuggets were about 1/4 inch long. I picked the dirt out of the potholes and ran it in my little Keene sluice and got a nice surprise. Gots to watch out for hurricanes in late fall as they can dump tons of rain on the river and you don't want to be there at flood stage. I use copper or brass dowsing rods to pick a spot to dig, sometimes it does work, sometimes not.

-Tom V.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread