Lake Havasu Gold is Heating Up

Desertman50

Dec 15, 2011
AZ Desert
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In order to beat the heat here, which is consistently in the 100's until September, you have to wake up early and get to the gold right at sunrise. I have a complete accounting & some pics of the latest trip on my blog: Digging for Gold in Hot, Sweaty Lake Havasu City | Lake Havasu Gold - gold prospecting in Arizona. The pics really illustrate how hot & sweaty & dirty digging up 3/10's of a gram of gold can be!

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing. One note, though. YOu should bring way more fluids than you need in case you ever get stuck out there. I winced to hear you drinking your last powerade while you were still working.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice link... Looks like fun, but HOT... I left phoenix years ago, for that reason.. Too damn hot.

OP
OP
Desertman50

Desertman50

Dec 15, 2011
AZ Desert
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing. One note, though. YOu should bring way more fluids than you need in case you ever get stuck out there. I winced to hear you drinking your last powerade while you were still working.

The best thing about Lake Havasu, as it relates to prospecting, is that the network of washes / gullies I dig are all within 10 minutes of my house, so I never worry about getting stranded. On the other hand...lotsa people like to shoot relatively nearby!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice link... Looks like fun, but HOT... I left phoenix years ago, for that reason.. Too damn hot.

Growing up in So. Cal, I spent most all my free time (after turning 16) out in the
local deserts. Loved the Winter, early Spring and late Fall weather, but Y'all can have
it from mid-May til' late October. The Summer I turned 16 was spent doing roofing
work down in the Escondido area, and there's nothing worse than hot tar or pounding
down 3-tab when it's 110 in the shade.

Moved to NW Wash. in 1987, and while I still like to visit friends down in the Barstow/Victorville
areas, it'll be in Winter when I go.

Here? It was cloudy, but comfortable today. Think it got up to about 68º, and tomorrow is
supposed to be an even warmer 72º. If my local creek continues to drop tonight, the level will be
just about perfect for some sluicing tomorrow, and with the good weather coming it's about
time for our Summer to start. Typically, they say that Summer begins up here around July 5th
(always rains on the 4th..???) and I don't expect we'll see anything near 80º for at least another
month.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In order to beat the heat here, which is consistently in the 100's until September, you have to wake up early and get to the gold right at sunrise. I have a complete accounting & some pics of the latest trip on my blog: Digging for Gold in Hot, Sweaty Lake Havasu City | Lake Havasu Gold - gold prospecting in Arizona. The pics really illustrate how hot & sweaty & dirty digging up 3/10's of a gram of gold can be!

My brother runs a boat and jetski rental business on Lake Havasu. Don't ask the name of the bussiness as I have no clue. Just bought a new Dry Washer, have yet to get out as I am waiting for my truck to be repaired to sell it and buy a new truck. I am in Tucson, Az but going to be up in Lake Havasu sometime this summer.

roy5f.jpg

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking little Royal... What'd she cost ya?

Not little at all DWM. Well compared to the large Keene it would be little. This is Royals top of the line DW. Check out the link in my signature for Royals pricing and equipment. They make top notch products throughout their entire line of products. You will not find a better built dry washer than the royals. Amazing quality and on close inspection how its built is second to none. The entire riffle tray is made from one piece of metal that is laser cut, folded on the sides and welded on the ends.

Last edited:

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Puff Puff! How do you manage digging gold in this heat? Well, guess it pays though, with all the hard work in the heat as hitting upon gold is a good boost to your pocket as this in turn will motivate you to continue. I wish you stumble upon golden chunks very soon!!! :)

Jun 8, 2013
OMAHA,NE. U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JUST MOVED FROM KINGMAN/BULLHEAD CITY.....DID WELL THERE AND FOUND SOME COLOR.....MOVED TO NE. FOR MY WIFES FAMILY.....NOW IM LOST AND HAVE FOUND NO COLOR HERE IN THE OMAHA AREA YET

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Dizzy!

I remember doing roofing up in Ramona in the early 80s. That was not a job I loved to say the least. Fresh out of the Army and after a couple months of tacking down 3-tab I was ALMOST ready to re-enlist! Of course I was working 3 jobs at the time so that may have been part of it too. Roofing during the day, Liqueur store at night and cutting firewood up in Mesa Grande on the weekends. Ahhh To be young and have that much energy again......

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a roofer....and it's getting hot again. Ugh. Good thing they pay me good, or I would be at Circle K.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
JUST MOVED FROM KINGMAN/BULLHEAD CITY.....DID WELL THERE AND FOUND SOME COLOR.....MOVED TO NE. FOR MY WIFES FAMILY.....NOW IM LOST AND HAVE FOUND NO COLOR HERE IN THE OMAHA AREA YET
Nice people and good deer hunting in Nebraska, at least that is something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread