Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"FULLPAN" suggested I post this on this forum.
Hope it will inspire some of you to knowing it is still out here.

This is one of my best finds, 27 ounces of specimens.
I put one through my dolly mill hence the round pieces.
There are also some nuggets that I found in the same vicinity.
Cheers to all. Pan of Gold.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also was lucky enough to find a Kilo of crystalline gold(Herringbone).
Bad news is I melted 750 grams before realizing the value. At the time I was getting $18 au a gram and sold a few pieces for $175 per gram. Some of the pieces I have left I posted on the Best Finds forum if any one is interested.
Cheers and thanks for the comments.

Tonkalong.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats, Tonkalong - would sure like to see pics of chevron (herringbone) if you have any. :icon_thumright:

oops, didn't finish reading last sentence

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use to be able to find it here to. congrats on the find misc pics 046.jpg

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also was lucky enough to find a Kilo of crystalline gold(Herringbone).
Bad news is I melted 750 grams before realizing the value. At the time I was getting $18 au a gram and sold a few pieces for $175 per gram. Some of the pieces I have left I posted on the Best Finds forum if any one is interested.
Cheers and thanks for the comments.

Tonkalong.

Is that 18 united states dollars per gram? If so, it seems way below value. 2nd question - how long have you been at this mding for gold, and is it a gold rush atmosphere in the outback?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's pretty much the same either way 1 AUD = 0.963786 USD so he was getting about $500 an oz. The aussie dollar used to be weaker but not much.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good suggestion by Fullpan . Australia ................. man .................
yall sure nuff got some do-drop gold out there . :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
T

Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ya Fullpan,
Around $550 an ounce Aussie dollar.
Been prospecting for gold since 1986-88 first machine being a Garret Deepseeker(Thunder Box). Did it for a living for 7-8 years then got a job in Exploration with a mining company and now started prospect again 2 years ago and still going.
Last gold rush I heard about was when 2 french men picked up 2000 ounces 400 miles north of where I live around 15 years ago. The ground was not pegged so everybody headed out there and another 3000 ounces was picked up. People started threatening each other with guns if they came close to their areas so they had to rush the granting of the lease when someone applied.
Other than that the gold is now becoming harder to find due to the rising price of gold. They are still find the odd 100 -500 ounce patch. I have a friend who's nephew picked up 317 ounces 2 weeks ago.
I am heading out next week for my first trip of the year.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
317 ounces - isn't that a "retirement find"? How long did he take to recover 317ozs?

OP
OP
T

Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were on the patch for 3 weeks Fullpan. 3 people involved.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
3 Weeks! Wow Amazing!

Hi ya Fullpan,
Around $550 an ounce Aussie dollar.
Been prospecting for gold since 1986-88 first machine being a Garret Deepseeker(Thunder Box). Did it for a living for 7-8 years then got a job in Exploration with a mining company and now started prospect again 2 years ago and still going.
Last gold rush I heard about was when 2 french men picked up 2000 ounces 400 miles north of where I live around 15 years ago. The ground was not pegged so everybody headed out there and another 3000 ounces was picked up. People started threatening each other with guns if they came close to their areas so they had to rush the granting of the lease when someone applied.
Other than that the gold is now becoming harder to find due to the rising price of gold. They are still find the odd 100 -500 ounce patch. I have a friend who's nephew picked up 317 ounces 2 weeks ago.
I am heading out next week for my first trip of the year.

LostinBolton

Mar 28, 2012
CT
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that would be a great trip, not sure if I would come back... I heard the outback is real dry place, but a place to see.

OP
OP
T

Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi H-2 Charlie.
You can take your gold home with you. I take a lot of people from all over the world for 14 years and they never have problems taking it out. I took an American out last time and he found 97 nuggets and had no problem. I have someone from Germany here at the moment and I would like to be able to tell you he had no trouble meaning we found something in 3 weeks time.
Good hunting :icon_thumleft:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tonkalong History records the largest gold nuggets found including the largest ever found with a metal detector and some large recent found nuggets were in fact found in Victoria. The West is not the best hahahahah

tinpan

OP
OP
T

Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again Tinpan,
Victoria hey, That is true.... on record. Nowadays we cut them up here to share among our partners so the tax man does not come sniffing around. Now you know why West Aust is flooded with people from victoria looking for the gold. They say it is because the laws for prospecting is different over there but now you know. I wont tell anyone if you won't :thumbsup:

juliapeter

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there Tonkalong History records the greatest precious metal nuggets located like the biggest ever located that has a steel detector and several huge new located nuggets have been the truth is within Victoria.
Ring Colors

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions